NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by akmal b. chaudhr » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for any examples (specifically sql code) on the above. Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Please post back to this group if you can help.

Thanks.

akmal

--
email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by Jerry Gitome » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi Akmal,

    I suspect that your problem is keeping track of assemblies,
sub-assemblies, and parts.  The easiest way to do this is by creating a
parent-child table.  The table should contain one row for each assembly,
sub-assembly, and part.  The row should contain the Key field, the key of
the parent (if any), and a means of specifying whether or not this is an
atomic part (also often called a piece part).    (One system I worked on
used keys ending in the digit 9 to indicate a piece part.  If a part has
more than one parent there is a row in the table for each child-parent
relationship.

    Using this scheme any row without a parent is a finished product and
anything which is not an atomic part will appear on a Bill of Materials as
an assembly or sub-assembly.   You can determine where used by accessing
this table and a master parts record that contains descriptions and you
derive a BOM by finding every row whose parent is the (sub-)assembly you
want the BOM for.

regards

Jerry Gitomer

>I'm looking for any examples (specifically sql code) on the above. Any
>pointers would be greatly appreciated.

>Please post back to this group if you can help.

>Thanks.

>akmal

>--
>email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
>"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
>DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my own.

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by akmal b. chaudhr » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Akmal,

>     I suspect that your problem is keeping track of assemblies,
> sub-assemblies, and parts.  The easiest way to do this is by creating
> parent-child table.  The table should contain one row for each
assembly,
> sub-assembly, and part.  The row should contain the Key field, the
key of
> the parent (if any), and a means of specifying whether or not this is
an
> atomic part (also often called a piece part).    (One system I worked
on
> used keys ending in the digit 9 to indicate a piece part.  If a part
has
> more than one parent there is a row in the table for each child-parent
> relationship.

>     Using this scheme any row without a parent is a finished product
and
> anything which is not an atomic part will appear on a Bill of
Materials as
> an assembly or sub-assembly.   You can determine where used by
accessing
> this table and a master parts record that contains descriptions and
you
> derive a BOM by finding every row whose parent is the (sub-)assembly
you
> want the BOM for.

> regards

> Jerry Gitomer

Thanks for the suggestion Jerry. I'll see if I can apply this to what
I'm doing.

Cheers again.

akmal

> >I'm looking for any examples (specifically sql code) on the above.
Any
> >pointers would be greatly appreciated.

> >Please post back to this group if you can help.

> >Thanks.

> >akmal

> >--
> >email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
> >"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
> >DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my
own.

> >--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> >---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

--
email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my own.

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by Steve Grave » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

There's a simple example, with source code (ODBC) at
http://www.raima.com/velocis/benchmarks.asp

>I'm looking for any examples (specifically sql code) on the above. Any
>pointers would be greatly appreciated.

>Please post back to this group if you can help.

>Thanks.

>akmal

>--
>email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
>"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
>DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my own.

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by akmal b. chaudhr » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> There's a simple example, with source code (ODBC) at
> http://www.raima.com/velocis/benchmarks.asp

Thanks very much Steve. I'll check that out.

akmal

> >I'm looking for any examples (specifically sql code) on the above.
Any
> >pointers would be greatly appreciated.

> >Please post back to this group if you can help.

> >Thanks.

> >akmal

> >--
> >email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
> >"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
> >DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my
own.

> >--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> >---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

--
email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my own.

NEED: Examples of Bill of Materials in RDBMSs

Post by Ken Nort » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Akmal,

Do you know of any BOM examples for Jasmine? an ODBMS?

Post by akmal b. chaudhr » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> Akmal,

> Do you know of any BOM examples for Jasmine? an ODBMS?

> >> There's a simple example, with source code (ODBC) at
> >> http://www.raima.com/velocis/benchmarks.asp

Hi Ken:

Personally, I'm not aware of any BOM implementations for Jasmine, but
CA is a big company - possibly someone else has done it internally. The
commercial focus for the product is also the web and multimedia.
However, I have implemented a version of the OO1 Benchmark (BOM-like
with Parts and Connection objects) for Jasmine. I've been trying to do
the same in an RDB (but am a bit rusty - I used Ingres in the late
1980s and early 1990s when I worked for Reuters - hence my original
posting).

Cheers,

akmal

--
email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert
DISCLAIMER: I work for Computer Associates and my opinions are my own.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Bill of materials dimension hierarchy

Here's my problem - hopefully someone out there can help me with a
solution - it may be easier than I expected:

 I need to allow my end users to browse their store locations based on
several different groupings. Example: one grouping would contain all
stores (1
 -10). A separate grouping would include only acquired stores (1,2).
There also may be other groupings that I would let my users change (not
via
 OLAP) that could group stores into other groupings ("my favorite
stores"). Therefore, the problem is that one store could be a part of
MANY different
 groupings. Further, these grouping could reside WITHIN other groupings
- levels which may also contain individual stores as well. Think of the
 hierarchy as akin to how you can set up mail folders in a mail program
- a person can be in an "all" group, plus be in your private group. I
would like to
 be able to support this with my dimensions for my reporting.

 Using a parent-child dimension, supporting several groupings is
possible, but a store can only be a part of ONE GROUP (the child field
must contain
 unique values). This is not the solution. Any ideas?

2. Need to use VB3 to open Access 2 database

3. my bills of materials

4. Update & Insert query...

5. bill of material tree structure

6. Connecting to Local Database under windows95

7. Bill of Materials Query

8. 14085-CO-DENVER-DBA Skills-Designer 2000-Developer 2000-ORACLE-Oracle Webserver-Consultant

9. Bill of Materials - Parts Explosion

10. Bill of Material problem using annotated schemas

11. Bill of materials dimension hierarchy

12. Bill of Materials

13. Bill of Materials Database