Help!: University Ingres & EQUEL

Post by Gregory Warn » Wed, 21 Sep 1994 06:04:02

I have downloaded and compiled University INGRES 89 on SUNOS 4.11 and am
having a problem with EQUEL programs.  For example, the dummy EQUEL program :

        #include <stdio.h>
        main()
        {
        ##ingres "demo"
        }

which the EQUEL pre-processor converts to

        #include <stdio.h>
        main()
        {
        {IIingres("demo",0);}
        }

always terminates with the following error message when run:

        KSORT  SYSERR: pb_write: proc 1

         SYSERR: pb_read: read error (-1874853753)

All EQUEL programs terminate in the same way when starting INGRES.  Does any
one know how to solve this problem?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Greg Warnes

Post by Robert Silv » Fri, 23 Sep 1994 16:16:02

>I have downloaded and compiled University INGRES 89 on SUNOS 4.11 and am
>having a problem with EQUEL programs.  For example, the dummy EQUEL program :

>    #include <stdio.h>
>    main()
>    {
>    ##ingres "demo"
>    }

>which the EQUEL pre-processor converts to

>    #include <stdio.h>
>    main()
>    {
>    {IIingres("demo",0);}
>    }

>always terminates with the following error message when run:

>    KSORT SYSERR: pb_write: proc 1

>    SYSERR: pb_read: read error (-1874853753)

>All EQUEL programs terminate in the same way when starting INGRES.  Does any
>one know how to solve this problem?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

>Greg Warnes

I too have a problem with EQUEL. I fail to even get the files:
grammar.c and grammar.y to compile properly. I get the error message:

grammar.y line 1709: empty constant expression after macro expansion

using an ATT cc compiler on a SVR4 PC. I think that err message comes from yacc.
The Makefile when run, runs yacc -d on the grammar and token files.
I am at a loss to understand this error because there
is no real line number given in any of the errors perhaps because of the #line
directives embedded in these files. Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Post by Robert Silv » Mon, 26 Sep 1994 04:31:34

>>I have downloaded and compiled University INGRES 89 on SUNOS 4.11 and am
>>having a problem with EQUEL programs.  For example, the dummy EQUEL program :

>>        #include <stdio.h>
>>        main()
>>        {
>>        ##ingres "demo"
>>        }

>>which the EQUEL pre-processor converts to

>>        #include <stdio.h>
>>        main()
>>        {
>>        {IIingres("demo",0);}
>>        }

>>always terminates with the following error message when run:

>>        KSORT SYSERR: pb_write: proc 1

>>        SYSERR: pb_read: read error (-1874853753)

>>All EQUEL programs terminate in the same way when starting INGRES.  Does any
>>one know how to solve this problem?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

>>Greg Warnes

>I too have a problem with EQUEL. I fail to even get the files:
>grammar.c and grammar.y to compile properly. I get the error message:

>grammar.y line 1709: empty constant expression after macro expansion

>using an ATT cc compiler on a SVR4 PC. I think that err message comes from yacc.
>The Makefile when run, runs yacc -d on the grammar and token files.
>I am at a loss to understand this error because there
>is no real line number given in any of the errors perhaps because of the #line
>directives embedded in these files. Any help would be appreciated!
>Thank you!

This may be a bit unconventional, however, I found my own answer to this problem
 and wanted to post the solution for the next unfortunate party who has
the same problem or similar.
The solution was simply to remove the * #line preprocessor directives
by adding an option in the Makefile YFLAGS to include the -l option which
Prevents #line directives from being produced. Then I was able to see
the real problem: a #if  macro that my cc compiler failed to recognize
i just replaced it with #ifdef and that allowed me to continue with the
make. I hope this serves to help others.

1. EQUEL problem with University Ingres

Hello All...

I'm having a very strange problems when programming with EQUEL on a Linux box.
The following sample program illustrates...

main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
# ingres celerity1 /* celerity1 is a data base with one relation (MAIN1) and
                                 one domain (fname)*/
printf ("Hello....\n");
# print MAIN1
 }

Now when running the above program the string "Hello..." will be displayed
to the screen before the results from "#print MAIN1", BUT if I redirect it to
a file it gets printed out AFTER the results from the "#print MAIN1"
command.

Example...

$a.out
  Hello...
  main1 relation

      |fname               |
      |--------------------|
      |Tim                 |
      |Gary                |
      |--------------------|

$a.out>test.txt
$cat test.txt
  main1 relation

     |fname               |
     |--------------------|
     |Tim                 |
     |Gary                |
     |--------------------|
  Hello....

Does this have something to do with the ingres process getting ahead of the
current process? ( I'm fairly new to Unix )

Can someone please help with this.

-Tim Smith

2. Converting from 2.x DOS to Windows

3. university ingres equel

4. PDOX4Win Problem/Question

5. NO RELOCATION REQUIRED FOR QUALIFIED SYSTEMS ARCHITECTS

6. Ingres & Equel

7. FileMaker Pro 4.0 - Portal row copy/paste problem

8. Ingres-quel-equel help

9. University Ingres, Ingres, QUEL and SQL

10. compat of free University Ingres 8.9 and Commercial INGRES

11. "University Ingres" (PD, original UCB Ingres)

12. University Ingres and INGRES v6.4