Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Post by Chris Le » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I currently have a FoxPro 2.5 (i think) application, its
for Dos anyway, very much a legacy application, which
runs most of the day to day operations for the business,
however its begining to show its age (about 14 years
I think) and is getting a bit unreliable, to me it looks like
it's an old rust bucket of a car, bits falling off here and there,
fortunately the doors are still there and the engine still
kicks over :)

Anyway, its desparetly overdue for re-writing in preferably
a Graphical User Interface, the obvious choice Win98/NT.
I haven't the original source code so it'll be a bit of a learning
curve, though I have managed to print out the structures of
the database files so I know roughly how its constructed.

Its main jobs are invoicing, inventory, job costing and other
accounting issues. Nothing terribly complex or difficult.

The problem I'm having is I just don't know what database
to commit myself to writing this in. I currently have Visual
dBase 7.0 pro, but I haven't any experience in dBase and
there are no 3rd part support books for it yet! Although they
are apparently in the writing, I don't know if I can wait that
long.

I also have just recently bought Teach Yourself COBOL in
24 hours, which includes the Fujitsu COBOL v3 starter kit,
which is a freebie complier/editor, and not all that bad either
I might add. I think if I commit myself I should be able to write
it in COBOL, and from what I've read, COBOL still has a future
going for it. However I don't want to start a war or anything on
whether COBOL is dead or alive or has a future, just if anyone
would recommend trying to learn and write in it.

COBOL seems to default to a Text/Console interface, which I
must admit that I still do for some reason actually prefer a text
interface, but everyone now wants GUI's and point 'n' click so I
guess there isn't too much choice there, PowerCOBOL is also
included which is a GUI for COBOL, though I don't know how
good it is.

The other choice would seem to be MS Visual FoxPro, which I
also know very little about. Would FoxPro be able to import the
existing databases? Its not terribly important, seeing as the data
is purged at the end of financial year anyway, just the Product info
and Stock would have to be re-entered, which isn't too much of a
task. But it would be great if it could.

Anyway, is Visual FoxPro easy to learn? Good support, and
worth my time learning?

Any advice/ideas on this would be much appreciated,
Thanks in Advance,
Chris Lee

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Post by Per Claesso » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I can only give my personal opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I also wrote a similar application in FoxPro 2.5 for DOS and needed to
modernize it, so I tried Visual Foxpro. I gave it up rather soon. FoxPro in
itself is some kind of attempt to turn the old xBase flat file database
format into some kind of relational database, and they stretch it further in
Visual FoxPro, apparently to accomodate those who want to upgrade their old
xBase applications into something reasonably modern. But I must say I think
the whole FoxPro model is obsolete. There is too much of the old clunky
xBase in it.

If you have the time, learn Access or Visual Basic and rewrite the
application in one of them (Access uses VB language so it is about the same,
but Access has more high level development features which makes it possible
to do most things without writing code at all. Later versions of VB also has
wizards to do most coding for you, and I personally think that VB 5 or 6 are
real good choices for database development. It is simple to use, gives you
access to all standard Windows GUI features and now also compiles reasonably
well.

There is somewhat of a learning curve involved for an old xBase developer,
but once you get a hold of object oriented programming and SQL then you will
find a new world opening up. Get a good book on OOP and SQL.

If you just want to turn your old DOS application into Windows as fast as
possible without getting involved with development work, then get Visual
FoxPro and hope that it manages to upgrade your 2.5 code properly. For me it
didn't.

Per

>Hi,

>I currently have a FoxPro 2.5 (i think) application, its
>for Dos anyway, very much a legacy application, which
>runs most of the day to day operations for the business,
>however its begining to show its age (about 14 years
>I think) and is getting a bit unreliable, to me it looks like
>it's an old rust bucket of a car, bits falling off here and there,
>fortunately the doors are still there and the engine still
>kicks over :)

>Anyway, its desparetly overdue for re-writing in preferably
>a Graphical User Interface, the obvious choice Win98/NT.
>I haven't the original source code so it'll be a bit of a learning
>curve, though I have managed to print out the structures of
>the database files so I know roughly how its constructed.

>Its main jobs are invoicing, inventory, job costing and other
>accounting issues. Nothing terribly complex or difficult.

>The problem I'm having is I just don't know what database
>to commit myself to writing this in. I currently have Visual
>dBase 7.0 pro, but I haven't any experience in dBase and
>there are no 3rd part support books for it yet! Although they
>are apparently in the writing, I don't know if I can wait that
>long.

>I also have just recently bought Teach Yourself COBOL in
>24 hours, which includes the Fujitsu COBOL v3 starter kit,
>which is a freebie complier/editor, and not all that bad either
>I might add. I think if I commit myself I should be able to write
>it in COBOL, and from what I've read, COBOL still has a future
>going for it. However I don't want to start a war or anything on
>whether COBOL is dead or alive or has a future, just if anyone
>would recommend trying to learn and write in it.

>COBOL seems to default to a Text/Console interface, which I
>must admit that I still do for some reason actually prefer a text
>interface, but everyone now wants GUI's and point 'n' click so I
>guess there isn't too much choice there, PowerCOBOL is also
>included which is a GUI for COBOL, though I don't know how
>good it is.

>The other choice would seem to be MS Visual FoxPro, which I
>also know very little about. Would FoxPro be able to import the
>existing databases? Its not terribly important, seeing as the data
>is purged at the end of financial year anyway, just the Product info
>and Stock would have to be re-entered, which isn't too much of a
>task. But it would be great if it could.

>Anyway, is Visual FoxPro easy to learn? Good support, and
>worth my time learning?

>Any advice/ideas on this would be much appreciated,
>Thanks in Advance,
>Chris Lee

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Post by McMal » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I would go with visual foxpro

There is some decompilers for FOXPRO 2.5 (I believe)
So you get one , decompile the .app, .scx, .fxp or whatever you have.

You have a nice bunch of original source-code files.
Then with visual foxpro, make a project recompile, and PRESTO!
Your app is runnig in windows, like magic. In short time, no rewriting
That is in theory.

Yes the language is easy to learn

CONS: FOXPRO seems to be fading away. You will spend time and money in
something that maybe will disassappear in a few years.
Anyways, maybe it will worth. Because for data manipulation it i the best
thing in the world.

> [...]

>>guess there isn't too much choice there, PowerCOBOL is also
>>included which is a GUI for COBOL, though I don't know how
>>good it is.

>>The other choice would seem to be MS Visual FoxPro, which I
>>also know very little about. Would FoxPro be able to import the
>>existing databases? Its not terribly important, seeing as the data
>>is purged at the end of financial year anyway, just the Product info
>>and Stock would have to be re-entered, which isn't too much of a
>>task. But it would be great if it could.

>>Anyway, is Visual FoxPro easy to learn? Good support, and
>>worth my time learning?

>>Any advice/ideas on this would be much appreciated,
>>Thanks in Advance,
>>Chris Lee

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

trying

Post by Per Claesso » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>CONS: FOXPRO seems to be fading away. You will spend time and money in
>something that maybe will disassappear in a few years.
>Anyways, maybe it will worth. Because for data manipulation it i the best
>thing in the world.

Yes, that is the thing. Foxpro doesn't seem to have a future, and there is a
reason for that. Where does it stand between Access and SQL Server? I heard
years ago that MS planned to dump it, and I'm surprised it is still around.

If you like it, then go with it, fine, but in my opinion it FP is an aged
star who should retire.

Post by Gene Wirchen » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I would go with visual foxpro

>There is some decompilers for FOXPRO 2.5 (I believe)
>So you get one , decompile the .app, .scx, .fxp or whatever you have.

>You have a nice bunch of original source-code files.
>Then with visual foxpro, make a project recompile, and PRESTO!
>Your app is runnig in windows, like magic. In short time, no rewriting
>That is in theory.

>Yes the language is easy to learn

>CONS: FOXPRO seems to be fading away. You will spend time and money in
>something that maybe will disassappear in a few years.
>Anyways, maybe it will worth. Because for data manipulation it i the best
>thing in the world.

     Yes, that is a con.  Please don't try to con people or fall for
cons.  That rumor has apparently been going the rounds since Microsoft
bought Fox SIX years ago.

     VFP 6 was released just five months ago.  7 is apparently in the
works.

[snipped previous]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
     I have preferences.
     You have biases.
     He/She has prejudices.

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Post by Phil Stens » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

While reading comp.databases on Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:36:10 GMT,

Quote:>     Yes, that is a con.  Please don't try to con people or fall for
>cons.  That rumor has apparently been going the rounds since Microsoft
>bought Fox SIX years ago.

>     VFP 6 was released just five months ago.  7 is apparently in the
>works.

If you want to be up-to-date on rumors, MS would love to kill off
both FP and Access. They will never ever actually confirm this,
just look at their track record. But also read between the lines.

Cover your bases and learn more than 1 system!

--

Present & Future Systems, Inc.                        Toronto
--------======We never respond to SPAM. Period.======--------

Visual Foxpro, Visual dBASE or Fujitsu COBOL?

Post by Hankin » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I hear that ADO (Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects data access) uses FoxPro
Rushmore technology?