what is the fastest database?

Post by Joel Label » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

I've been told - Foxpro?

Post by Sundial Servic » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
>of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
>fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?
>I've been told - Foxpro?

Fast at what, Joel?  What kind of queries, what kind of possibilities for
indexing the data?  Mostly read-only?  Multi-user?

You've got literally dozens of options and all of them are fast.  But I'll
give you a heads-up on Foxpro... we don't use it anymore because it takes so
much developer-time to program it.

Remember that "fast" should be in the user's terms ... from the point where
the user envisions the need to obtain information (in the case of an ad-hoc
query), to the point where usable results are in her hands.

In these days where you routinely find Pentium-200 machines with megabytes of
RAM and fast, efficient disk-drives on a desktop running a screen-saver, the
hardware is there and the technology is there.

"What you want to do" will determine what is the best choice for you, and
don't forget to factor your time and user-time into the equation much more
than computer time.  Computer time is almost throw-away.

Post by Steve Lev » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
> of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
> fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

> I've been told - Foxpro?A lot?  Terrabytes?  Megabytes?

Informix will hold a lot!  And it is fast!
How fast?  Maybe you need an asc sort engine opt-sort?
There are cheap.

Post by Sam Dra » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
>of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...

Check out my company's product at www.timesten.com.

Cheers,  ...Sam Drake / TimesTen Performance Software

Post by Chris 'Danger' Sheppa » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
>of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
>fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

>I've been told - Foxpro?

If you want a free SQL server, check out mySQL (www.tcx.se).  It was written to be
very fast--this is why they developed their own program (they were using mSQL
previously).  Comes with ODBC driver for Windows.

Chris
--
Windows 95 -- When your computer has too much power

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/Student/cesheppa

Post by Tony Gonzale » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
> of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
> fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

> I've been told - Foxpro?

I think it really is a matter of your hardware and not the app per say.
With as much capability that most DBs have now it really is not a
software issue.

Post by JMH » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold
a lot
>> of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
>> fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

>> I've been told - Foxpro?

>I think it really is a matter of your hardware and not the app per say.
>With as much capability that most DBs have now it really is not a
>software issue.

I care to differ.  I have tested performance of numerous databases running
on the same server, and have seen significant differences in speed.  Besides
Hardware, the following factors can affect performance.
* The interface to the database - ODBC, or native driver, and driver
manufacturer
* The Type of SQL transaction - two SQL statements that do the same function
can have vastly different timings.
* How well the database is tuned - cache sizes, autocommits, etc.
* The database itself - you may want to check the TPC numbers for the
various database and hardware vendors.

You may be able to get trial versions of some potential databases, run them
on your hardware and use a tool such as Benchmark Factory to compare the
performance of the databases. (If you visit
http://www.benchmarkresources.com and click on the banner ad my site gets
credit and thus they continue to support me ;-)

JMH

what is the fastest database?

Post by Mark_Harpe » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You must be talking about FoxPro for Windows and not Visual FoxPro.  I
develop in both VB5 and VFP5 and VFP5 is sooooo much easier and faster to
develop in than VB!  That is the true heads up on FoxPro.

Post by Frans U » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> I'm looking for a database that is really really really fast and can hold a lot
>> of data. The data doesn't need to be objects just ints and chars etc...
>> fast sorting, fast writing? Please, what's fast?

>> I've been told - Foxpro?

Have a look at PICK! I think its the best

Look at www.picksys.com

Frans Utt
Magician Systems Europe
Breeers*weg 258 bus 3