Call System

Post by Tony.Doug.. » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

This is a message from the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally
privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure,
copying or forwarding of this e-Mail and/or its attachments is unauthorised.

If you have received this e-Mail in error please notify the sender immediately
by e-Mail or telephone +44 (0)141 242 2259.

Scottish Qualifications Authority

Hanover House, 24 Douglas Street,GLASGOW G2 7NQ

and

Ironmills Road, DALKEITH EH22 1LE

www.sqa.org.uk

Hi Manjeet,

Trying to do this sort of thing with table entries would probably not work for
high concurrency because of the amount of table locking that would be done,
unfortunately. We initially ran ReportWriter (6.4/04) on the PC clients, but it
was a bit unreliable ;) so we had to shift reports on to the server. I don't
have an OpenRoad session or the full source to hand, but AFAIR the server code
looked like this ...

begin
     register dbevent stop_prog;
     register dbevent call_app;
     forever = 1;
     while forever = 1 do
          get dbevent with wait;
          inquire_ingres(
               event_name=dbeventname,
               event_text=dbeventtext);
          if event_name = 'stop_prog' then
               forever = 0;
          elseif event_name = 'call_app' then
               call system :event_text;
          endif;
     endwhile;
end;

(assuming, obviously, that the text attached to the event was a valid system
command !)

and you would just raise the relevant event from your OpenRoad application.
Obviously, you can only get so many parameters into the event text, so you would
probably build temporary tables of parameters in your OpenRoad application, then
pass the temporary table's name on to a report or application on the server.

Apologies for any typos I've included in this !

Hope this helps,

Tony Douglas
Enterprise System Manager
Scottish Qualifications Authority

To:   Tony Douglas/sqa
cc:
Subject:  Call System

Hi Tony,

I have read your E-Mail on above subject. I was thinking to have a process
running in loop on server which looks for an entry into a table. If an entry is
made by a client then it deals with it by running a script  to produce a report
and then changes its status on the entry table. I do not know whether it will be
better than your solution.

You have an event handler on the server and the client is sending a database
event. Could you please send me a sample code or full code of the event handler
if it is not a problem and a w4gl code which sends a database event to the event
handler.

Your solution sound interesting and better than mine.

All help gratefully received.

Rdgs - Manjeet

1. Call System Vs. Other Calls

In our migration project to IngresII, we are ending up
changing all of the Call Application, Call Report to Call System,
since the first two sporadically choke up with a "Bad File Number"
error.  This is only happening on HP-UX 10.2.

This has been an issue between us and TS for over a year and a half.
The problem is difficult to duplicate and trace but it strikes when least expected.
Can someone theorize the relationship between file numbers and the
different types of calls?

 Nabil
====

2. Database cannot be opened

3. SQL*Loader missing defaults when called from Unix's system call

4. Progress GUI position available

5. VA-Herndon-266925--System Analysis-ORACLE Financials-Systems Analyst/Sr. Systems Analyst

6. Client for SQLSERVER

7. GA-Atlanta-97805--Systems Engineering-Systems Administration-UNIX-Administrator-Systems Engineer/UNIX/Solaris

8. Problems with trigger creation.

9. DC-Washington-115786--Systems Programming-Windows NT-Mainframe-ORACLE-SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR/SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER, VISTRONIX

10. GA-Atlanta-97805--Systems Engineering-Systems Administration-UNIX-Administrator-Systems Engineer/UNIX/Solaris

11. SQLConfigDataSource API call and System DSN

12. making system calls from a trigger or stored procedure