REQUEST: advice on selecting an MS Windows database application designer

REQUEST: advice on selecting an MS Windows database application designer

Post by Charles M. Kozier » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 22:49:12

I am posting this for a friend of mine.  Feel free
to respond to this address by email with any help
you might have.  We both appreciate any time
taken to respond to this posting.

thanks,

-*-
charles

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in determining which MS Windows-based
database system I should use for designing an integrated
application.  The basic requirements:

- Able to handle large amounts of data in a structured
  relational database design;

- Ability to custom-design the interface.  In the short run
  we are willing to use the "standard" interface, which will
  probably look much like the application itself, but in the
  long run we want complete control over the design and layout
  of the windows, background, buttons, menus, everything.

- Built-in language support so we can fully control the
  display and management of all windows, reports, entry forms,
  etc.

- As easy to use as possible.

- High reliability, both of the application and the underlying
  software and data.

- Ability to encapsulate the application into a self-contained
  executable.

- Ability to interface to other applications written in
  Borland C++.

- Some sort of rapid prototyping ability.  The first version
  of our application needs to be in the can in two months.

1. Denormalize via Select - Advice request!

I need some advice on the best approach to denormalizing two tables
via a select.

Say I have these two tables:

Parent.DBF

PID     ParName
1       Donald
2       Daisy

Child.DBF
PID     ChldName        Allowance
1       Huey            5
1       Huey            3
1       Duey            1
1       Luey            1
1       Luey            4
2       Huey            3
2       Duey            2
2       Duey            8
2       Luey            6

What I want is a table that looks like this:

ParName Chld1   Chld2   Chld3
Donald          8       1       5
Daisy           3       10      6

Chld1 stands for Huey, Chld2 Duey, and Chld3 Luey.  As you can see,
the numbers represent the total amount of allowance gotten from each
parent.  The problem is, the way I'll use it, Donald and Daisy can
have up to 1,000 children.  What's the best approach?

Actually, I don't _need_ this in a select, but I have to show it in a
grid, and I assumed a select would be the best approach.

2. Compiled DBMS - why no discussion? (long)

3. PA-Other-261528--Desktop Support-MS Excel-MS Office-ORACLE-Windows NT-Winframe-Application Support

4. TEST MESSAGE ONLY

5. Printing Tables in Delphi

6. Advice on developing Windows applications

7. MSWINSCK.OCX

8. request for advice re relational database design question

9. ADVICE REQUEST: portable database product

10. Request for advice - simple databases

11. Database Designer/Programmer's ADVICE Wanted

12. WA-SEATTLE-19216--ORACLE-Developer 2000-Designer 2000-Oracle Application Designer/Developer 2000