HELP: "Variable xyz not found"

Post by Jeff Rou » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

I've been building some screens with the help of a QUE book on FP26.

So... I decided to start creating some examples of my own, in addition to the ones
in the book.  I came up with the following to help me track my golf handicap.
(believe me, it's not really worth tracking ;-)

A table that has information about a player:
plrcode - a two character code that is alpha only
fname   - first name
lname   - last name

In addition there is a table that has information about a course, and a table that
has information about a round played.

I used the Quick Screen option to generate a screen, and checked the memory
variable box, arranged the fields, added some code snippets and generated it.

The problem is showing up in my validation code in the get for a field, but I
suspect that the error really lies somewhere else.  I have created (copied,
really) a program from the QUE book to use for validation, and as I try to
edit the "plrcode" field, I get an error that doesn't occur when I use it
with their examples.  This leads me to believe that I may have set something up
incorrectly somewhere else in the screen.

I have "Valid" for that field set to Expression, and the expression is just
a call to the program called chkcode().

It fails within the first couple of lines of the top of the validation program
(chkcode.prg), where it is trying to determine whether or not the field has been
left empty or not:

----------------------
the_var = VARREAD()

IF (EMPTY(EVALUATE("m."+the_var)))

----------------------

The failure occurs on the line with the "IF," and the error code is:

Variable "plrcode" not found.

Does anybody have any ideas?  I would like to understand what the problem is,
and why I ran into it instead of starting over and hoping I don't accidentally
recreate it.

Any help would be VASTLY appreciated,
Jeff

HELP: "Variable xyz not found"

Post by Brian Copela » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

R>ase.fox

R>Subject: HELP: "Variable xyz not found"

R>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:21:54 GMT

R>I've been building some screens with the help of a QUE book on FP26.

R>So... I decided to start creating some examples of my own, in addition
R>to the ones
R>in the book.  I came up with the following to help me track my golf
R>handicap. (believe me, it's not really worth tracking ;-)

R>A table that has information about a player:
R>plrcode - a two character code that is alpha only
R>fname   - first name
R>lname   - last name

R>In addition there is a table that has information about a course, and
R>a table that
R>has information about a round played.

R>I used the Quick Screen option to generate a screen, and checked the
R>memory variable box, arranged the fields, added some code snippets and
R>generated it.
R>The problem is showing up in my validation code in the get for a
R>field, but I suspect that the error really lies somewhere else.  I
R>have created (copied, really) a program from the QUE book to use for
R>validation, and as I try to edit the "plrcode" field, I get an error
R>that doesn't occur when I use it with their examples.  This leads me
R>to believe that I may have set something up incorrectly somewhere else
R>in the screen.
R>I have "Valid" for that field set to Expression, and the expression is
R>just a call to the program called chkcode().

R>It fails within the first couple of lines of the top of the validation
R>program (chkcode.prg), where it is trying to determine whether or not
R>the field has been
R>left empty or not:

R>----------------------
R>the_var = VARREAD()

R>IF (EMPTY(EVALUATE("m."+the_var)))

R>----------------------

R>The failure occurs on the line with the "IF," and the error code is:

R>Variable "plrcode" not found.

R>Does anybody have any ideas?  I would like to understand what the
R>problem is, and why I ran into it instead of starting over and hoping
R>I don't accidentally recreate it.

R>Any help would be VASTLY appreciated,
R>Jeff

Can you post the code for the get command.  Is sounds like the variable
'plrcode' has not been declared and there is no default clause in the
get statement.

Brian Copeland

1. Mysterious "variable is not found" problem

Hello !

In the form Init event
THISFORM.Grid1.Column4.ControlSource="IIF(Iskoper.osavott=1,'Full','Not
Full')"
It works, OK

but
THISFORM.Grid1.Column4.ControlSource="oskvott(Iskoper.osavott)"

and in the Database Stored Procedure
FUNCTION oskvott
PARAMETERS op
DO CASE
  CASE op=1
    RETURN 'Full'
  CASE op=2
   RETURN 'Not Full'
ENDCASE
RETURN ' '

the Error message "Variable is not found" appears
any suggestions, please
Iskoper.osavott is Numeric data type and the DATABASE is open

Kuido

2. Cursor positioning

3. Variable "xxx" not found error

4. Asynchronous transactional replication - rights required.

5. help with "Variable not Defined"

6. IL-Chicago-31283--ORACLE Financials-Software Development-ORACLE-SQL-PL/SQL-SQL *

7. Help: "Could not find stored procedure"

8. Progress for Windows NT 3.5

9. ODBC error - "File not found" - Help

10. Help please: "File not found"

11. HELP!: "Property RecordCount not found"

12. help - "data source name not found"