Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

Post by J Garci » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

I would like to know from any users who have had
experience with more than one of the above-mentioned
databases to comment on how these databases compare
with each other?

While I will have to make do with a flat file pipe
delimited database (based on Perl/CGI script) for now,
I am wondering what would be best database application
"upgrade" option should my database file grow in size.

I am particularly interested in hearing if PostgreSQL
is really a stable product or not. Thanks a lot.

=====

Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

Post by Brendan Revill » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

> I would like to know from any users who have had
> experience with more than one of the above-mentioned
> databases to comment on how these databases compare
> with each other?

I just discovered this newsgroup and read an earlier thread with the
subject...
    "Postgres or MySQL (was: Beginning SQL)"
...which you can probably find with deja.com.

It covered some really interesting points in line with what you're after.

- Brendan

Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

Post by Gerald R. Jense » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

there like MySQL for low-budget work and IBM DB2 for the high-end systems.
They did not like PostgreSQL or mSQL.

Post by Paul M. Ao » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> there like MySQL for low-budget work and IBM DB2 for the high-end systems.
> They did not like PostgreSQL or mSQL.

the article you mention says:

| We eliminated PostgreSQL - a popular open-source
| database-management system - from our testing, because it doesn't
| support NT as a server platform. Instead, PostgreSQL targets the
| Linux database market.

they did not, as you say, seem to like msql much.
--
  Paul M. Aoki         | Computer Science Division, EECS #1776

Post by Denis Jedi » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> they did not, as you say, seem to like msql much.

Of course not. MySQL offers only a poor implementation of ANSI-SQL92 (if
it offers any implementation at all). You cannot define triggers, use
nested queries, use transactions etc. I really dont think that MySQL is
good for any serious databases other than simple Internet-DB's.

Denis Jedig
--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!

Post by Michael Buda » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > they did not, as you say, seem to like msql much.

> Of course not. MySQL offers only a poor implementation of ANSI-SQL92 (if
> it offers any implementation at all). You cannot define triggers, use
> nested queries, use transactions etc. I really dont think that MySQL is
> good for any serious databases other than simple Internet-DB's.

er, denis, i think you better read paul's snip once again... it said
'msql', not 'mysql'.
--

Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

Post by Denis Jedi » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> er, denis, i think you better read paul's snip once again... it said
> 'msql', not 'mysql'.

sorry - message cancelled.

Denis Jedig
--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!

1. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

One idea is encouraging people to make local mailing lists all over
the world. That will be easier to read/write mails for non-English
speakers and will decrease the traffic in the main mailing
list. Actually I have been running a mailing list in Japan for years
and now it has +4000 subscribers. I believe this kind of thing has
been already done in the world (maybe Japan, Russia ...?), but I think
we should encourage them more, like having pointers to such lists on
the pgsql web site.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

2. NEED TO SELECT NETWORK DRIVE AT STARTUP

3. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

4. Devices showing negative number

5. Unable to Create Indexed View

6. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

7. Oracle vs MySQL vs PostgreSQL

8. MySQL vs Oracle vs MSSQL Vs others

9. Database Comparisons - mySQL vs PostGreSQL vs mSQL vs Informix....

10. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro