Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Post by Bill Bak » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 03:48:03

Hello all,

I found a bug that seemed to be pretty basic in Paradox for Windows.  I was
creating a report with maybe 20 fields in it, but a lot of text.  Then I would
add one more piece of text, move it to where I wanted it (using click and drag),
and when I ran the report, Paradox would hang.  If I left the text in the
position where I typed it in, the report ran fine.

I called Borland customer support to see if they could explain what had
happened and after going through the automated menu system, was placed on
hold for 31 minutes (long distance call!).  I never did talk to an actual
person there.

Then I sent a disc off to Borland with the files in order for them to look at
the problem, and got no response.  It's been 2 months now.  At the 1 month time
frame, I sent another letter to them indicating how unhappy I was with the
support I had received (not!) to this point - and still got no response from
them.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?  I don't know what to do at this point.
I already made the mistake of buying this product.  If anyone has an internet
address for Borland, maybe I can get some kind of response that way.

 _______________ _           _____
<-______________|*)    ___==/     \==___     "The best diplomat I know is a
 ~          | |  ~  --===================--   fully charged phaser bank!"
            | |     /  ^/  --=====--            -Montgomery Scott
      ______|_|____/___/
      ==__        ....^T/_    William F. Baker           Staff S/W Engineer
          --___________|\~    Storage Technology Corp.   (303) 673-7910

                              Louisville, CO  80028                stortek.com

Post by Will Est » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 15:11:45

: Hello all,

: I found a bug that seemed to be pretty basic in Paradox for Windows.  I was
: creating a report with maybe 20 fields in it, but a lot of text.  Then I would
: add one more piece of text, move it to where I wanted it (using click and drag),
: and when I ran the report, Paradox would hang.  If I left the text in the
: position where I typed it in, the report ran fine.

: I called Borland customer support to see if they could explain what had
: happened and after going through the automated menu system, was placed on
: hold for 31 minutes (long distance call!).  I never did talk to an actual
: person there.

Honestly, Borland's support for PDOXWIN is the worst I have ever received
for a Windows product from a major vendor, and that even includes
Microsoft back when they were inundated by the initial demand for
Windows 3.0.

What is particularly frustrating is to wait for 40+ minutes on hold,
only to be connected to a person who is borderline
computer-illiterate, and certainly has no experience writing any
kind of serious application, and trying to explain to this person
some complex sequence of code that produces an error.

I have simply given up.  I no longer call Borland unless I can
duplicate the error on a clean system and have no way to work around
it.   I don't have 1 1/2 hours each day to sit on hold waiting for a
nearly worthless response.

--

Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Post by Jean-Claude Berg » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 06:26:56

If you want to hear what Borland support would say if they were
answering phone, just record an endless tape saying "I don't know.
I have never seen that problem".

 Jean-Claude Berger, JCBerger Developpement Formation (Free Lance Consultant)

Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Post by Le » Sun, 29 Aug 1993 01:04:50

And the Paradox 900 number support at $2.00 a minute was a waste of
money too!  For 10 minutes, the guy tried to convince me to make
changes that would require a complete redesign of an application -
all because a P4W function doesn't work the way the documentation says
it does.  I tried to explain to him that the application was much more
complicated than the simple problem example I gave him - at
$2.00/minute, I can't afford to give a long detailed description.

I have never been able to get through on the regular (non-900)
customer support number.  I've spent hours trying.

Don't expect ANY phone support for P4W - you're on your own!  The only
place I've seen any support by Borland employees is on Compu$erve.

Maybe by version 2.0 or 2.5 they'll have something useful for serious
developers building real-world applications.  Or maybe not!  Right
now, it's a fragile toy.  But, hey, that's only *my* opinion!

Leo

Post by ma.. » Mon, 30 Aug 1993 14:15:01

> Hello all,

> I found a bug that seemed to be pretty basic in Paradox for Windows.  I was
> creating a report with maybe 20 fields in it, but a lot of text.  Then I would
> add one more piece of text, move it to where I wanted it (using click and drag),
> and when I ran the report, Paradox would hang.  If I left the text in the
> position where I typed it in, the report ran fine.

> I called Borland customer support to see if they could explain what had
> happened and after going through the automated menu system, was placed on
> hold for 31 minutes (long distance call!).  I never did talk to an actual
> person there.

> Then I sent a disc off to Borland with the files in order for them to look at
> the problem, and got no response.  It's been 2 months now.  At the 1 month time
> frame, I sent another letter to them indicating how unhappy I was with the
> support I had received (not!) to this point - and still got no response from
> them.

> Does anyone out there have any ideas?  I don't know what to do at this point.
> I already made the mistake of buying this product.  If anyone has an internet
> address for Borland, maybe I can get some kind of response that way.

>  _______________ _           _____

I am sorry to here that you are not getting any satisfaction with BORLAND
support.

In Australia I have to pay for long distance phone calls, yet I do so gladly
as Jeremy has always been so helpful to me.

Also, I supply bugs to BORLAND with pleasure!!

PDOXWIN is a fantastic product to develop with, even in its current form.

I know that the bugs in V1.0 make it unusable for some things and one
uses it to develop other's applications with trepidation --- but I
support it fully, as its concept is futuristic, time-saving, ...

It is a very powerful development tool and is huge - hence the bugs
in version 1.0.

Let us recall the release of CLIPPER 5.0 (version five, i.e 5, V, 1,2,3,4,5)
in which the install program did not work!!!

Let us support the concept by ordering our upgrades as soon as available and
enable this forward-thinking company provide us with a tool we can be
proud of.

--
Raymond Kennington                | Act in haste and repent at leisure
                                  | Code too soon and debug forever
University of South Australia     | ....Dale and Lily (I think)
Computer and Information Science  | Knobs, knobs everywhere,
Levels                            |        just vary a knob to think!
Pooraka 5095                      | ....Metamagical Themas, Hofsta"dter
South Australia

Post by Royce Lith » Tue, 31 Aug 1993 09:54:43

>I am sorry to here that you are not getting any satisfaction with BORLAND
>support.

Me too.  I am glad that things down here are so much better than in the US.
I usually make 3 calls a day at the rate of $0.25 per call.  I get through
to Jeremy Owens in about 10-60 seconds (the most I've had to wait is about 5
minutes).  He has always been helpful.  He helps with all kinds of problems
too, not just bug fixes (e.g. problems like "I can't find how to do this
in the manual, how do you do it?" and he is always willing to help).

Quote:>In Australia I have to pay for long distance phone calls, yet I do so gladly
>as Jeremy has always been so helpful to me.
>Also, I supply bugs to BORLAND with pleasure!!
>PDOXWIN is a fantastic product to develop with, even in its current form.

I have to agree here.  Despite some of the annoying and down right stupid bugs
that it has.  I can't wait for V2.0 to come out!

Royce.

Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Post by Mathew Gyokers Eli » Wed, 01 Sep 1993 13:58:49

Quote:> Then I sent a disc off to Borland with the files in order for
> them to look at the problem, and got no response.  It's been 2
> months now.  At the 1 month time frame, I sent another letter
> to them indicating how unhappy I was with the  support I had
> received (not!) to this point - and still got no response from
> them.

> Does anyone out there have any ideas?

        As far as I know, Borland no longer accepts unsolicited faxes or mail, unfortunately.

Paradox for Windows Customer Support Problems

Post by Andrew Benne » Fri, 03 Sep 1993 00:56:25

: : Hello all,

[... description of bug in report function of P4W deleted ...]

: : I called Borland customer support to see if they could explain what had
: : happened and after going through the automated menu system, was placed on
: : hold for 31 minutes (long distance call!).  I never did talk to an actual
: : person there.

: Honestly, Borland's support for PDOXWIN is the worst I have ever received
: for a Windows product from a major vendor, and that even includes
: Microsoft back when they were inundated by the initial demand for
: Windows 3.0.

I would hardly compare the initial demand for Win 3.0 to P4W 1.0, as
I think P4W probably was greater.  And let's not forget version numbers
there - Microsloth had been working with Windows like code for a couple
years, where as Borland released a completely new product, nothing like
it.

: What is particularly frustrating is to wait for 40+ minutes on hold,
: only to be connected to a person who is borderline
: computer-illiterate, and certainly has no experience writing any
: kind of serious application, and trying to explain to this person
: some complex sequence of code that produces an error.

Well, for $139.95, what can you expect?  Do you really think they can
pay their programmers AND their tech support staff on that?  Hardly.
I'm pleased that they still provide free technical support!  Look
at what Lotus does - you only get support for a certain period after
your purchase; then you have to pay for the support.

There is an excellent article in the October issue of _Software
Development_, titled, "The New Face of Technical Support" by Alex
Lane.  Great article.  I'd scan it in, but I'd probably get sued.
Check it out if you can.

I think Borland's lack of ability to give support hinges on three
major factors:

1) Success of the product - people gobbbled up P4W boxes faster than
   the eye could focus on them.
2) The complexity of a 1.0 release (even though the gang screen says
   that P4W is 8.93a something)
3) The competitive price.  Because of the price, Borland can't
   expand it's tech support department to match.

: I have simply given up.  I no longer call Borland unless I can
: duplicate the error on a clean system and have no way to work around
: it.   I don't have 1 1/2 hours each day to sit on hold waiting for a
: nearly worthless response.

Well, my attempts to call Borland have been highly succesful.  I think
my longest wait on hold is 1 hour, and the shortest wait was 4 minutes.
I have case numbers for both Paradox 3.5/4.0 and ObjectVision.  And
the 4 minute wait came from the P4W group at about 12:35pm EDT last
week.  I was shocked.

Andrew

1. OR-PORTLAND-93760--ORACLE-Project Management-Customer Support-Program Manager - Client Services,Customer Support

=
Company    : Oracle
Website    : http://www.oracle.com
Job Title  : Program Manager - Client Services,Customer Support
Location   : PORTLAND, OR
Job Type   : Full-Time Salaried
============================

RESPONSIBILITIES: You will function as a Solutions Support Manager, building
and managing client relationships with significant Oracle customers. You will
be responsible for coordinating Oracles support resources for clients with
large, complex development and production environments: Working with the
customer "end to end" throughout the engagement Supporting the proposal
generation process, needs assessment, delivery planning Overseeing and
coordinating delivery Monitoring feedback, and identifying continuous
improvement and upsell opportunities. Technical and Professional Skills
Required: Strong program/project management skills Skills in proposal
development, cost measurement, customer satisfaction measurement, support
planning and services Experience in managing and building client
relationships Working knowledge of Oracle software products/platforms and
their uses Knowledge of Oracles infrastructure and business practices
Industry experience/knowledge and business acumen QUALIFICATIONS: DEGREE/MAJOR:
BS/MS/MBA or equivalent YEARS EXPERIENCE: 8 or more years with "Big 6"
experience desirable. Combination of technical expertise, business acumen and
customer skills.

Travel Required          :None
Educational Requirements :Bachelors Degree
=
Required Skills
* ORACLE
* Project Management
* Customer Support
=
Oracle Corporation offers generous compensation and unparalleled benefits.
Oracle supports workforce diversity.
=
Contact Information:
Reference : 1143
S. Ensey
Oracle
20 Davis

Belmont, CA 94002

Fax No: 650-506-7592

** Post jobs for 30 days for $100, up to 250 postings $350/month
** Matching Resumes E-mailed daily
**  Your ads are virtually guaranteed to be seen by jobseekers on the NET **

                    ** Automatic Posting to **
   ** Yahoo            ** Americas Job Bank    ** Career City    *** ClassifiedsWarehouse

2. DB-Library for C and UNICODE.

3. Access Stored Procedures Question

4. Problems supporting Paradox 7 for Windows Bespoke Program

5. Too many open file handles

6. Borland must use Paradox 5.0 Win for Customer Support

7. editing the SQL database

8. 41815-LA-NEW ORLEANS-DBA Skills-ORACLE-Customer Support-AIX-RS/6000-Windows NT-N