Interfacing to a Datamax Prodigy Plus Printer using Progress

Interfacing to a Datamax Prodigy Plus Printer using Progress

Post by Bruce Prevet » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had to interface to a Datamax Prodigy
Plus Thermal Label printer using Progress 7.3e.

I am currently trying (unsuccessfully) to get the printer to respond to
enlarged lettering and some simple graphics.  It will print small text but
the initialization string for large print comes out as small print plus the
actual text.

Here is a sample of what ASCII code must be sent to the printer:

^BL
1911020002250010TEST

If you type the above into the DOS editor and print it to the printer, it
will print the label properly.

Here is a sample of Progress code that I have tried:

put "~002" "~114" "~015".                                /*Initialize
Printer  (appears to work)*/
put "~1911020002250010" "TEST" "~015".  /*Formatting string plus text (This
line doesn't work)*/
put "~105".                                             /*Tells the printer
that the print sequence has ended (assumed to work)*/

I would really appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.

Thanks

Bruce Prevett
Systems Administrator
Kindred Industries

Interfacing to a Datamax Prodigy Plus Printer using Progress

Post by m.brandeli » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

One way we debug such problems is to create a print-file and send all the
print data into that file.
Then you can use a system editor (hex editor or at least binary editor) but
neither of notepad or wordpad to scrutinize what has been sent to that file.

HTH

Bruce Prevett schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:>Hi everyone,

>I was wondering if anyone has ever had to interface to a Datamax Prodigy
>Plus Thermal Label printer using Progress 7.3e.

>I am currently trying (unsuccessfully) to get the printer to respond to
>enlarged lettering and some simple graphics.  It will print small text but
>the initialization string for large print comes out as small print plus the
>actual text.

>Here is a sample of what ASCII code must be sent to the printer:

>^BL
>1911020002250010TEST

>If you type the above into the DOS editor and print it to the printer, it
>will print the label properly.

>Here is a sample of Progress code that I have tried:

>put "~002" "~114" "~015".                                /*Initialize
>Printer  (appears to work)*/
>put "~1911020002250010" "TEST" "~015".  /*Formatting string plus text (This
>line doesn't work)*/
>put "~105".                                             /*Tells the printer
>that the print sequence has ended (assumed to work)*/

>I would really appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.

>Thanks

>Bruce Prevett
>Systems Administrator
>Kindred Industries

Interfacing to a Datamax Prodigy Plus Printer using Progress

Post by Geoff Crawfo » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Here is a sample of what ASCII code must be sent to the printer:

>^BL
>1911020002250010TEST

>If you type the above into the DOS editor and print it to the printer, it
>will print the label properly.

>Here is a sample of Progress code that I have tried:

>put "~002" "~114" "~015".                                /*Initialize
>Printer  (appears to work)*/
>put "~1911020002250010" "TEST" "~015".  /*Formatting string plus text (This
>line doesn't work)*/
>put "~105".                                             /*Tells the printer
>that the print sequence has ended (assumed to work)*/

There really isn't a reason to use "~114" as a substitute for a
capital L, but the problem is the third line you are beginning
with a tilde.  That will then print octal code 191 instead of
the three characters 1, 9 and 1.

1. Datamax Thermal Printer (DMX-E-4203)

Call me lazy, but does anybody have programming experience with this line of
printers? I have a simple request, how can I get this printer to eject the
printer to the tear-off point and then backfeed so a label is not wasted.

I see the command: STX fnnn where nnn is 1/100 of an inch. I tried this and it
does do what I expect, it does nothing. Is there another special command to
cause the eject?

This has got to be simple. I'm just missing something here. By the way, these
are nice, inexpensive, printers for thermal labels. I have purchased a couple
of these as low as $50 on eBay. I have two that are on-line for inventory
control labels and shipping pro stickers (both for barcode purposes). I get the
labels at www.uline.com

2. Refreshing Interbase Queryies - "table not uniquely indexed" ??

3. Using Additional UNIX Printers on Ult PLUS

4. WinXP + SQL Server 7 login problem

5. Printer Port Interfacing Using Java

6. Detecting Uncommited Transactions

7. Progress Printing to TTY printer vs System Printer

8. Passing a set to a stored procedure

9. Using a PC Printer as a Pick Printer

10. Using ADO interfaces in my own interfaces

11. Printer driver for HP Laserjet 4 Plus

12. Dbase 3 plus printer problem

13. XEmacs SQL-Plus interface for Oracle