VFP 3.0/Win '95 Page Faults -- HELP!

Post by Matt Bloomfie » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm running on a Pentium with 16mb of RAM on Win '95 and VFP is the only
application running.  All I'm trying to do is modify a database (.DBC)
file.  I type
in the command window:

        MODIFY DATABASE CUSTINFO

and in response I get:  VFP caused an invalid page fault in module VFP.EXE
at address...blah, blah, blah.

To make matters even stranger, I do not have this problem on a 486 machine
with 16mb of RAM running Windows 3.11 and Win32s.

Any ideas?????

VFP 3.0/Win '95 Page Faults -- HELP!

Post by Barbara Paltie » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Matt, if you've been running on 16-bit machines and have recently
switched to 32-bit you may need to set the codepage for each table.  Try
starting VFP and then simply USEing each table at the command prompt.
You'll probably be asked for a code page.  Once it's set, it won't need
to be repeated, and your database should behave correctly.

HTH
Barbara Paltiel

> I'm running on a Pentium with 16mb of RAM on Win '95 and VFP is the only
> application running.  All I'm trying to do is modify a database (.DBC)
> file.  I type
> in the command window:

>         MODIFY DATABASE CUSTINFO

> and in response I get:  VFP caused an invalid page fault in module VFP.EXE
> at address...blah, blah, blah.

> To make matters even stranger, I do not have this problem on a 486 machine
> with 16mb of RAM running Windows 3.11 and Win32s.

> Any ideas?????

VFP 3.0/Win '95 Page Faults -- HELP!

Post by Matt Bloomfie » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Barbara,

I'm not having problems with tables (DBF), but with the database file (DBC).
I can already say "USE tablename" for each of the tables referenced in the
DBC file and they already show a Code Page 1252 (not that I know what that
means, but as individual tables, they come up fine).  The problem that I'm
experiencing is trying to modify the database - I either say "Modify Database
databasename" from the command window or I select the Modify button from the project
file with the database highlighted and the result is the same - a page fault
which forces me to quit the program altogether.  All I'm trying to do is bring
up the Data Environment window which lists all the tables and their relationships
in a single window.  Like I mentioned before, this works fine on my 486 running
Win32S and Win 3.11 - the page fault only happens on my Pentium/Win '95 machine.
Any more ideas??

>Matt, if you've been running on 16-bit machines and have recently
>switched to 32-bit you may need to set the codepage for each table.  Try
>starting VFP and then simply USEing each table at the command prompt.
>You'll probably be asked for a code page.  Once it's set, it won't need
>to be repeated, and your database should behave correctly.

>HTH
>Barbara Paltiel

>> I'm running on a Pentium with 16mb of RAM on Win '95 and VFP is the only
>> application running.  All I'm trying to do is modify a database (.DBC)
>> file.  I type
>> in the command window:

>>         MODIFY DATABASE CUSTINFO

>> and in response I get:  VFP caused an invalid page fault in module VFP.EXE
>> at address...blah, blah, blah.

>> To make matters even stranger, I do not have this problem on a 486 machine
>> with 16mb of RAM running Windows 3.11 and Win32s.

>> Any ideas?????

1. Win 95 & VFP 3.0 problems

I just installed Visual Foxpro 3.0 on my Win 95 System w/ 16 MB Ram,
and for some reason, when I load it up, it is saying that the file
ctl3d32.dll is invalid (the version) and will only work on Windows NT.

Specifically, this is the error:

This application uses ctl3d32.dll, which is not the correct version.
This version is designed only for Windows NT systems.

Any ideas on solving this mystery?

Thanks,

Mitesh
Mitesh P. Lakhani                    Management and Real Estate
Wharton 1996                         University of Pennsylvania
Dorm: (215) 417-7861                 Office: (516) 679-1200

2. Access denied when creating file in Transactional Replication

3. VB 3.0 Can't Find Database in Win 95

4. New Ashton-Tate Phone Numbers

5. VFP 5.0 w/ WIN 95 using Novell's 32 bit client

6. computed columns

7. VFP Application from Win'95 to Server

8. oracle fail safe 2.0.5 clustering problem on NT

9. VFP 3.0 win: Problem with form with 2 pages

10. HELP - Error 50003 - VB5, Win 95, Win 98, Win NT

11. Reportsmith won't print to fax on Win 95

12. FMP 4 won't start on Win 95

13. Soft pages faults vs hard page faults