D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Alan Georg » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:08:46

I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and experiencing
a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has gone
from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial and
nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any one
time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused serial
connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes with
flashbasic.
The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with the
top command during invoicing.
I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
 Regards,
Alan

--
Alan George
ALO Consulting P/L

Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
Mobile: 0418-609-666
Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Dale Benedic » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:13:11

Alan,  even though you checked the file sizes I would recheck ALL files
sizes again.  On the systems that I work with it is rare that any D3 process
used 60+ percent of the CPU on a continuous basis

In the top command note the PID that is sucking up the cpu.  At tcl in the
DM account enter PID * pid number.  a table of PIBs and PIDs will be
printed.  A + sign should get printed beside the PIB/PID entry.  A LISTU
will allow you to see the users and the PIBs with that you should have
localized the problem to a serial port or user that is hogging the cpu.
Find out what's happening on that port, and you'll be well on your way to
solving the problem.

Best regards,

Dale

> I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
experiencing
> a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has gone
> from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial and
> nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
one
> time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused serial
> connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes with
> flashbasic.
> The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
the
> top command during invoicing.
> I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
>  Regards,
> Alan

> --
> Alan George
> ALO Consulting P/L
> 20 Rawson Pde
> Caringbah NSW  2229
> AUSTRALIA

> Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> Mobile: 0418-609-666
> Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Godric Goodric » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:24:57

Hi

There are some guidelines to investigating D3 performance related problems
on my web site www.goodrichconsulting.co.uk.

I hope something in those pages helps you to identify the problem

Regards

Godric

Goodrich Consulting Limited

> I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
experiencing
> a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has gone
> from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial and
> nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
one
> time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused serial
> connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes with
> flashbasic.
> The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
the
> top command during invoicing.
> I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
>  Regards,
> Alan

> --
> Alan George
> ALO Consulting P/L
> 20 Rawson Pde
> Caringbah NSW  2229
> AUSTRALIA

> Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> Mobile: 0418-609-666
> Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Ross Ferri » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:32:02

Alan,

How are you printing to the printers ? are they consigured as printers under
Linux ? or attached serial devices running through D3 ? or (unlikely given
your past system) are the printers hooked up to PC's and accessed via
Windows network ?

turned out to be a default gateway that Linux put in place (some obscure
directory - TData told us where to find) - once we removed that, everything
was joy again !

> I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
experiencing
> a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has gone
> from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial and
> nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
one
> time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused serial
> connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes with
> flashbasic.
> The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
the
> top command during invoicing.
> I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
>  Regards,
> Alan

> --
> Alan George
> ALO Consulting P/L
> 20 Rawson Pde
> Caringbah NSW  2229
> AUSTRALIA

> Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> Mobile: 0418-609-666
> Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Alan Georg » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:16:35

Thanks Dale for your response.
I have tracked down the ports and they are the ports processing the invoice
at the time. I thought it might be the programmes but they worked ok under
SCO. I have been advised to check the hardware compatibility. It looks like
it might be a long hard battle.
Again many thanks for your response.
Regards,
Alan

> Alan,  even though you checked the file sizes I would recheck ALL files
> sizes again.  On the systems that I work with it is rare that any D3
process
> used 60+ percent of the CPU on a continuous basis

> In the top command note the PID that is sucking up the cpu.  At tcl in the
> DM account enter PID * pid number.  a table of PIBs and PIDs will be
> printed.  A + sign should get printed beside the PIB/PID entry.  A LISTU
> will allow you to see the users and the PIBs with that you should have
> localized the problem to a serial port or user that is hogging the cpu.
> Find out what's happening on that port, and you'll be well on your way to
> solving the problem.

> Best regards,

> Dale

> > I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
> experiencing
> > a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has
gone
> > from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> > The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> > connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial
and
> > nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
> one
> > time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> > I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused
serial
> > connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes
with
> > flashbasic.
> > The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
> the
> > top command during invoicing.
> > I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> > experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
> >  Regards,
> > Alan

> > --
> > Alan George
> > ALO Consulting P/L
> > 20 Rawson Pde
> > Caringbah NSW  2229
> > AUSTRALIA

> > Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> > Mobile: 0418-609-666
> > Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Alan Georg » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:19:12

Thanks Godric for your response,
I will follow-up on your web site.
Again many thanks,
Alan

> Hi

> There are some guidelines to investigating D3 performance related problems
> on my web site www.goodrichconsulting.co.uk.

> I hope something in those pages helps you to identify the problem

> Regards

> Godric

> Goodrich Consulting Limited

> > I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
> experiencing
> > a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has
gone
> > from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> > The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> > connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial
and
> > nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
> one
> > time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> > I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused
serial
> > connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes
with
> > flashbasic.
> > The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
> the
> > top command during invoicing.
> > I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> > experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
> >  Regards,
> > Alan

> > --
> > Alan George
> > ALO Consulting P/L
> > 20 Rawson Pde
> > Caringbah NSW  2229
> > AUSTRALIA

> > Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> > Mobile: 0418-609-666
> > Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Alan Georg » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:28:57

Hi Ross,
Good to catch up. Many thanks for your response.
The printers are serial through the Digi concentrator. The delay is also
prior to printing, as though the programme is really working the system hard
(and it may be but it was not a concern under SCO). I have been playing
around with some test programmes and have found some results in the locate
statement working with and array. Have been advised to checkout hardware
compatibility. It looks like this is not going to be easy. Will keep you
posted.
Again many thanks Ross.
Regards,
Alan

> Alan,

> How are you printing to the printers ? are they consigured as printers
under
> Linux ? or attached serial devices running through D3 ? or (unlikely given
> your past system) are the printers hooked up to PC's and accessed via
> Windows network ?

> turned out to be a default gateway that Linux put in place (some obscure
> directory - TData told us where to find) - once we removed that,
everything
> was joy again !

> > I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
> experiencing
> > a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has
gone
> > from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> > The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated telephone
> > connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using serial
and
> > nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at any
> one
> > time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> > I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused
serial
> > connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes
with
> > flashbasic.
> > The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking with
> the
> > top command during invoicing.
> > I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> > experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
> >  Regards,
> > Alan

> > --
> > Alan George
> > ALO Consulting P/L
> > 20 Rawson Pde
> > Caringbah NSW  2229
> > AUSTRALIA

> > Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> > Mobile: 0418-609-666
> > Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:19:48

Another little thing to check ... damn the unix fixation on PostScript

Are you sure that the linux spooler isn't converting text to postscript,
then turning into a graphic, before downloading it to the printer? IME
that is the default behaviour !!!

If so, that could well explain where all your CPU is going. Try setting
up a printcap entry that is explicitly pure text and see if that
improves matters, though it's a little odd if you've traced the usage to
the Pick port - I would expect the printer daemon pid to be the culprit
in this case.

Cheers,
Wol.

Conversation: D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem
Subject: Re: D3 SCO to D3 LINUX performance problem

Hi Ross,
Good to catch up. Many thanks for your response.
The printers are serial through the Digi concentrator. The delay is also
prior to printing, as though the programme is really working the system
hard
(and it may be but it was not a concern under SCO). I have been playing
around with some test programmes and have found some results in the
locate
statement working with and array. Have been advised to checkout hardware
compatibility. It looks like this is not going to be easy. Will keep you
posted.
Again many thanks Ross.
Regards,
Alan

> Alan,

> How are you printing to the printers ? are they consigured as printers
under
> Linux ? or attached serial devices running through D3 ? or (unlikely
given
> your past system) are the printers hooked up to PC's and accessed via
> Windows network ?

that
> turned out to be a default gateway that Linux put in place (some
obscure
> directory - TData told us where to find) - once we removed that,
everything
> was joy again !

> > I have upgraded my client from d3 - SCO to d3 7.2.1 - LINUX and
> experiencing
> > a serious performance problem. For example the invoicing process has
gone
> > from 1 to 2 seconds to 1 to 5 minutes to complete.
> > The client runs 4 remote branches connected thought dedicated
telephone
> > connections using Digi concentrators with the main branch using
serial
and
> > nailed telnet connections. Between 70 and 80 people are connected at
any
> one
> > time with between 6 to 10 people invoicing.
> > I have resized the file and restore the system, removed all unused
serial
> > connections from the digi concentrator and recompiled all programmes
with
> > flashbasic.
> > The system is showing excessive CPU processing 60-90% when checking
with

> the
> > top command during invoicing.
> > I am at a loss at the moment what to do. If anyone has any ideas or
> > experienced a similar problem it would be great to hear from you.
> >  Regards,
> > Alan

> > --
> > Alan George
> > ALO Consulting P/L
> > 20 Rawson Pde
> > Caringbah NSW  2229
> > AUSTRALIA

> > Phone: +61-2-9544-1263
> > Mobile: 0418-609-666
> > Fax: +61-2-9523-3574

1. D3 7.0 to D3 7.1 Incompatibility problem with c functions on D3/Linux

Hi

I am trying to port an application from D3/SCO 7.0 to D3/Linux 7.1 and am
running into problems when calling user defined C functions.

I have successfully run addbi and the Makefile and created the new D3
executable using the same C function library that is running with D3/SCO.

I can then load the filesave from the D3/SCO 7.1 server and the basic
programs calling the C functions run normally.

BUT, when I re-compile the basic programs (without making any changes) that
call the C functions, they no longer work and give a variety of errors
including core dumps.

It would seem that if the basic program is running the pcode created on
D3/SCO 7.0, all is OK, but running the pcode created on D3/Linux 7.1 it no
longer works.

Anybody got any clues what is going on.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Regards

Adam Easterbrook

2. Synch-With Palm Pilot?

3. Infolink - D3/Sco to D3/Linux

4. Yet Another (Simple) Case of Index not used

5. Direсеrtly sending E-mail From D3 (D3/NT ior D3/Linux)

6. BDE Replacements that allow SQL ??????

7. D3/Linux - D3-to-Linux communication to print spooler

8. SQL Server

9. D3 Proplus 7.2 tape read of D3 SCO 7.1

10. Restore d3/NT fsi account on D3/SCO

11. Calling d3 from perl where d3 is on another linux machine inside a firewall

12. D3/Linux Restore from D3/NT

13. Time to upgrade D3/Linux or D3/NT