FileSystem vs. DB

Post by Johan Fredrik ?hma » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I seeking some advice on how to store several (2000++) Text and
WordDocuments that are supposed to be served from a website.
My main concern is how to store the documents in the DB,
I can store them as separate files on the file system or as (blobs?) in the
DB.  Both has it's advantages as I see it.

What is recommended here ?  Any good DBMS for this use ?
--
Johan Fr

FileSystem vs. DB

Post by smile77 » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I hope I have this correct.
Lets say you have a knowledge base that
can be accessed from the web or intranet.
It is a web page that searches your site for
text documents.

Someone types in 'widgets' in the search
and you have 5 summaries in your db that
come up on a dynamic page that also includes
a link to each file that relates to widgets.

FileSystem vs. DB

Post by Johan Fredrik ?hma » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I hope I have this correct.
> Lets say you have a knowledge base that
> can be accessed from the web or intranet.
> It is a web page that searches your site for
> text documents.

> Someone types in 'widgets' in the search
> and you have 5 summaries in your db that
> come up on a dynamic page that also includes
> a link to each file that relates to widgets.

Yes, like that !

FileSystem vs. DB

Post by Clemens Schu » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

"JFh> What is recommended here ?

storing in the file system means you have to provide logic for maintaining
these files, i.e. store them in the filesystem with unique names, etc.

using the dbms you would not have to do that job yourself.

"JFh> Any good DBMS for this use ?

consider primebase, it's free for development and available for various
platforms, and easy to get up and running on each of those (unzip, start,
done).

Tschuess und viel Spass!

1. design decision (DB vs filesystem)

Hi there.

I am developing an ASP.NET site that is going to keep
track of the documentation generated by a small to middle
sized organization and have the following doubts:

- Should I store the documents in the SQL Server
database? Or in the file system on the server?

- Same thing with a whole bunch of pictures (about 200)

I have tried searching with google with no luck. Any
links to this discussion would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Jos Luis
(Barcelona, SPAIN)

2. Universe Programmer Needed Toronto Canada

3. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

4. Oracle on Linux

5. storing images in SQL Server vs. filesystem

6. Full versions for $29

7. SQL Image Data vs FileSystem

8. Multiple Fact Tables merged into ONE virtural measure

9. JApplet vs filesystem on server as datamodel ???

10. Disk storage : filesystem vs database

11. Database vs FileSystem (a comparison)

12. Oracle OFA vs. HP-UX filesystem layout

13. filesystem dbfile vs raw device dbfile