btrieve opinions

Post by Children's Home Society Of Flori » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Our organization is considering purchasing RealWorld Visual
Accounting. It is written in C++ and uses btrieve as its database
engine.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences in using btrieve. Is it
stable? How well does it perform in a client/server configuration? How
about usability and performance issues in using their ODBC drivers?

Btrieve will be used on NT Server at the state office and on Novell at
the divisional sites.

Thanks for any info!

Mark Barrentine
Information Systems Manager

btrieve opinions

Post by Mike Fish » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Our organization is considering purchasing RealWorld Visual
>Accounting. It is written in C++ and uses btrieve as its database
>engine.

>Anyone have any good or bad experiences in using btrieve. Is it
>stable? How well does it perform in a client/server configuration? How
>about usability and performance issues in using their ODBC drivers?

Mark,

This is not a particularly considered opinion but I feel that some of
the problems we have experienced with another accounting program,
especially in a networked environment under WFWG, *may* relate to
Btrieve.

"MAY" is the operative word!!

Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                 <<<<<<  MIKE FISHER  >>>>>>
                                   ...oOo...
               "The Help Line for Small Business"
 Computer, Accounting and Bookkeeping Support in NQ
                 Ph (077) 796761 or 018 180 684

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

btrieve opinions

Post by Steve Guid » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>  Our organization is considering purchasing RealWorld Visual
>  Accounting. It is written in C++ and uses btrieve as its database
>  engine. Anyone have any good or bad experiences in using btrieve.
> Is it stable?

I have developed 50+ Btrieve programs with C/C++ and Pascal/Delphi for
the last 12 years, under stand-alone, multi-user, and multi-site applications.
Some programs have run for over 5 years without any complaints or data
corruptions.  The few database corruption problems that have occured
(maybe 12 in 12 years) were able to be restored using proper backup
procedures and paper trails.  My applications have included several
Personnel systems, customized financial and billing packages, inventory
& accounting systems, and even a complete financial system for a credit
union.  (OK, enough back-patting for now).

I would say that Btrieve is one of the fastest, well-designed, and more stable
database programs out there.  I use it now despite my opinion that Pervasive
doesn't quite know what to do with it, and that they are pricing it in ways
that I do not like.

However I have seen several applications using Btrieve that flat out SUCK.
They did not put much thought into the design of the databases or indexes;
their user interface is ridiculously complex, there are too many inter-relation-
ships between tables and too many tables (which means that when a corruption
occurs it may be impossible to reliably restore the data without using a back-up
copy, and pray to God one exists), and it takes forever to create simple or
routinely-generated reports.

Add to this the fact that in my opinion most Accounting packages SUCK anyway,
no matter what  database system they use.  I currently run my $9 million (sales)
company using the regular old version Quicken for Windows, and I have
not met any other Accounting package that I would even remotely recommend.

Seeing a poorly-designed package that ignores, abuses or thwarts the speed
and elegance of Btrieve always gets my * boiling, as you may notice.

One of Btrieve's curent weak points is when you mix operating systems (e.g
Win3.1, Win95, WinNT, OS/2, DOS) and especially with the Novell NLM.
Lots of untracable problems seem to start to happen.  If the workstations
are all running the same system there is usually no problem.

Quote:> How well does it perform in a client/server configuration?

I have never used the client / server configuration.  I prefer to KISS (Keep It
Simple, Stupid) and I do not have any clients that access the same database
from multiple sites, have 500+ users accessing the database at the same time,
or performing heavy SQL, the only reasons for client/server in my opinion.

Quote:> How about usability and performance issues in using their ODBC drivers?

ODBC also SUCKS, it is a kludge created by Microsoft as a marketing ploy.
It only adds another layer to an already over-layered system, and it only
provides a sub-set of some features that Btrieve provides.  I currently program
in Delphi, and do not use ODBC; instead I am using Titan which accesses
Btrieve directly, and MUCH faster.

All this of course is my own, highly-biased opinion.

Steve Guidos

btrieve opinions

Post by Mike Fish » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have developed 50+ Btrieve programs with C/C++ and Pascal/Delphi for
>the last 12 years, under stand-alone, multi-user, and multi-site applications.
>Some programs have run for over 5 years without any complaints or data
>corruptions.  The few database corruption problems that have occured

>I would say that Btrieve is one of the fastest, well-designed, and more stable
>database programs out there.  I use it now despite my opinion that Pervasive
>doesn't quite know what to do with it, and that they are pricing it in ways
>that I do not like.

>However I have seen several applications using Btrieve that flat out SUCK.
>They did not put much thought into the design of the databases or indexes;
>their user interface is ridiculously complex, there are too many inter-relation-
>ships between tables and too many tables (which means that when a corruption
>occurs it may be impossible to reliably restore the data without using a back-up
>copy, and pray to God one exists), and it takes forever to create simple or
>routinely-generated reports.

>All this of course is my own, highly-biased opinion.

Which seems to indicate that my idea of blaming Btrieve for problems
in an accounting package may be somewhat misguided!!!

Thanks for your opinions, however highly-biased ;-))

Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                 <<<<<<  MIKE FISHER  >>>>>>
                                   ...oOo...
               "The Help Line for Small Business"
 Computer, Accounting and Bookkeeping Support in NQ
                 Ph (077) 796761 or 018 180 684

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Welcome your opinion :btrieve vs.sql

Hello,
    The company I work for is looking to upgrade its application
software from a DOS platform using Btrieve, to a Windows application
with perhaps another database.  For the GUI interface we will be using
Visual Basic 4 and developing a 16bit application.  I was hoping that
people that have used both Sybase (or other SQL databases) and Btrieve
with VB4 could give me a recommendation on which they prefer.
    Currently with our DOS product, our Btrieve usage is as follows ; 14
databases with only  4 of them getting constant usage.  The average
number of records on the most accessed database is about 2000.  The
application will be run on a LAN at some of our client sites, and as a
stand alone package at other sites.
Thanks in Advance,
Michael Lamar

2. Availble in Chicago: DBA / C++ Developer

3. Want your opinion ; btrieve vs Sybase

4. ANNOUNCE: Free Backup, Dbcc, Upd Stats Scripts

5. Opinions on Btrieve and VB5

6. Infolease, Unidata

7. 1 [MERANT][ODBC Btrieve driver][Btrieve]The Record Manager is not loaded

8. win 2000 fm pro 6+ page records

9. Btrieve and Titan - getting HEX codes out of btrieve file

10. VB3 or VB5 / Btrieve - How to connect to Btrieve 6.15 Files

11. Btrieve - How can I access Btrieve files in VB 5.0

12. BTrieve 5.10 for Win or BTrieve 6.15 for DOS