Run-time error '3073' Operation must use an updatable query.

Run-time error '3073' Operation must use an updatable query.

Post by Goran Vukusi » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

I am using VB6.0, Microsoft DAO3.51 Object Libraray and the ODBC Driver
Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0
I have a problem writing to a database using this peace of code:

************CODE BEGIN******************************************************
Dim MyDatabase As Database
Dim sSQL As String
Dim lX As Long

  Set MyDatabase = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(csDefaultDB, False,
False, "ODBC; DSN = " & "GENESIS DATA WATCOM 32")

  lX = 3647
  sSQL = "UPDATE WtabCarr SET XCarrierPos=" & Format(lX) & " WHERE
CarrierID='" & "Carrier_1" & "' AND WorktableID='" & "Worktable1" & "'"

  MyDatabase.Execute (sSQL)  ' <<<<<<<<RT ERRROR 3073 SHOWS HERE

  MyDatabase.Close
  Set MyDatabase = Nothing
************CODE END******************************************************

Error message is: Run-time error '3073'   Operation must use an updatable
query.

The database file is on my hard disk and I have administrator rights on my
computer so I have all the rights for the database file. Beside,  another
application (whose source code I don't have) can write the same data.

I have checked the MSDN and different sites on this, but could not find any
solution. The problem was reported more then once in newsgroups but there
was no solution I could use.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Goran

Run-time error '3073' Operation must use an updatable query.

Post by Goran Vukusi » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi again,

I have a solution.

I just replaced
  GenesisDatabase.Execute (sSQL)
with
  GenesisDatabase.Execute  sSQL, dbSQLPassThrough

and it works.

I would really like to know why. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Goran

Quote:> Hi!

> I am using VB6.0, Microsoft DAO3.51 Object Libraray and the ODBC Driver
> Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0
> I have a problem writing to a database using this peace of code:

> ************CODE

BEGIN******************************************************
Quote:> Dim MyDatabase As Database
> Dim sSQL As String
> Dim lX As Long

>   Set MyDatabase = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(csDefaultDB, False,
> False, "ODBC; DSN = " & "GENESIS DATA WATCOM 32")

>   lX = 3647
>   sSQL = "UPDATE WtabCarr SET XCarrierPos=" & Format(lX) & " WHERE
> CarrierID='" & "Carrier_1" & "' AND WorktableID='" & "Worktable1" & "'"

>   MyDatabase.Execute (sSQL)  ' <<<<<<<<RT ERRROR 3073 SHOWS HERE

>   MyDatabase.Close
>   Set MyDatabase = Nothing
> ************CODE END******************************************************

> Error message is: Run-time error '3073'   Operation must use an updatable
> query.

> The database file is on my hard disk and I have administrator rights on my
> computer so I have all the rights for the database file. Beside,  another
> application (whose source code I don't have) can write the same data.

> I have checked the MSDN and different sites on this, but could not find
any
> solution. The problem was reported more then once in newsgroups but there
> was no solution I could use.

> Any ideas?

> Best regards,
> Goran

1. Run time error 3073 -Operation must use an updatable query

I'm getting the above error when attempting a DELETE or UPDATE (but INSERT
is OK)
This is a new installation, running NTServer 4.0 and SQLServer 6.5.
What is my most likely problem?  I've opened the permissions in SQL and the
database appears to be writeable.
I'm using OpenDatabase () syntax in Visual Basic5.0.
Any ideas?
/Rick

2. ingres security on non-unix platforms (os/2)

3. Current online redolog corrupt!!!

4. Operation must use an updatable query 3073 - ODBC Error

5. Real Time (fwd)

6. Operation must use an updatable query. (Error 3073)

7. Create Index using SQL in Access 2000 Table

8. Error 3073 - Operation must use an updatable query

9. Error 3073, Operation must use an updatable query

10. Error '3073' Must use updateable query

11. Error 3073 : Updatable Query required

12. run-time error '3170': Couldn't fin installable ISAM