Multiple Databases with Openlink ODBC driver

Multiple Databases with Openlink ODBC driver

Post by Scot » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:09:18



I work for a development company and we have eight different site
locations.  For each site we use a billing database designed on
Progress version 8.3a.  The table structures, names, etc are identical
across all eight copies of the database.  The only difference is the
actual data inside.

I have written some reports that I would like to run on each copy of
the database.  I'm using the OpenLink Data Access Driver (Lite
Edition) version 3.2.

Here's what I'm trying to do:  Using ODBC, run the report on the first
instance of the database.  Then change the ODBC connection string
information to the second instance and run the report a second time.
Then move to the third, etc.

When I open an the first ODBC connection to any instance of the DB,
the tables come through as pro1.[table-name].  If I open a second
instance of the database, I get pro2.[table-name].  I need to come up
with a way to close the first connection so that the second will open
with a datbase name of pro1 as well.  If I close my reporting
application then re-open it, this works, but I really want to just
cycle through the connections without having to quit my calling
application.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Scott

 
 
 

Multiple Databases with Openlink ODBC driver

Post by megaStophole » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 05:02:52


Quote:> Here's what I'm trying to do:  Using ODBC, run the report on the first
> instance of the database.  Then change the ODBC connection string
> information to the second instance and run the report a second time.
> Then move to the third, etc.

Could you supply an example of how you are connecting?
Is this from a Progress App?

What type of DB? Progress, other?

Quote:

> When I open an the first ODBC connection to any instance of the DB,
> the tables come through as pro1.[table-name].  If I open a second
> instance of the database, I get pro2.[table-name].  I need to come up
> with a way to close the first connection so that the second will open
> with a datbase name of pro1 as well.  If I close my reporting
> application then re-open it, this works, but I really want to just
> cycle through the connections without having to quit my calling
> application.

Try this:

Main Proc:

run manage_connections.p (<params here>)
run report.p

/* end main proc */

manage_connections.p:

/*** if you are connected to ALL the databases at once ****/
delete alias "youralisashere".
create alias "youraliashere" for value(<passed in dbname>)

/*** if you [dis|re]connect as needed then try this ***/

<connect command> -ld "youraliashere"

/* end connect.p */

report.p:

for each
   "youraliashere".[tablename]:

<report it>
end.

/* end report.p */

Quote:

> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Scott


 
 
 

Multiple Databases with Openlink ODBC driver

Post by John R. Jon » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:45:46


Hello !!

This may be possible if you implement a "Tableview" connection within
your existing connection environment?

In the Progress installation Bin directory you should have a program
called "pro"  also since you are using OpenLink Drivers you should
have a setup.p in the OpenLink/bin directory?

If this is the case you can perform the following to run tableview
creation procedure

the usage would be "pro -p setup.p"

This should allow you to connect to distributed database via a single
connection URL/String, you might want to visit
http://www.openlinksw.co.uk/support/conprog.htm for more information.

Alternatively you can always try the OpenLink Virtuoso route?  Whereby
you link External DSN's into a single VDBMS and then by connecting to
the single instance to virtuoso, you can connect to all Linked remote
tables from remote database's ?

Hope this helps

Best regards

John


> > Here's what I'm trying to do:  Using ODBC, run the report on the first
> > instance of the database.  Then change the ODBC connection string
> > information to the second instance and run the report a second time.
> > Then move to the third, etc.

> Could you supply an example of how you are connecting?
> Is this from a Progress App?

> What type of DB? Progress, other?

> > When I open an the first ODBC connection to any instance of the DB,
> > the tables come through as pro1.[table-name].  If I open a second
> > instance of the database, I get pro2.[table-name].  I need to come up
> > with a way to close the first connection so that the second will open
> > with a datbase name of pro1 as well.  If I close my reporting
> > application then re-open it, this works, but I really want to just
> > cycle through the connections without having to quit my calling
> > application.

> Try this:

> Main Proc:

> run manage_connections.p (<params here>)
> run report.p

> /* end main proc */

> manage_connections.p:

> /*** if you are connected to ALL the databases at once ****/
> delete alias "youralisashere".
> create alias "youraliashere" for value(<passed in dbname>)

> /*** if you [dis|re]connect as needed then try this ***/

> <connect command> -ld "youraliashere"

> /* end connect.p */

> report.p:

> for each
>    "youraliashere".[tablename]:

> <report it>
> end.

> /* end report.p */

> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> > Scott

 
 
 

1. Importing data using Openlink odbc driver

Trying to import data from a Progress 91C database into a
SQL Server 2000 database using an Openlink odbc single
tier driver.  If I use the dts wizard directly from
Start..Programs..SQL Server..Import and Export, then this
works fine.  I can choose the odbc data source, enter a
System DSN and it asks for the destination.

If I use the dts wizard via Enterprise Manager then I get
an error message after I have selected the odbc data
source and entered the System DSN - DTS Import/Export
Error "A serious error occurred when connecting to the
provider"

I need to create a DTS package so the first method is no
good.  

2. Select Distinct problem

3. Connection to Informix with Openlink ODBC drivers

4. Need help choosing a database product

5. Oracle Cursors not closed by Microsoft or Openlink ODBC Drivers

6. more Data Report Issues

7. ODBC "OPENLINK MULTI-TIER DRIVERS"

8. DYNAMIC SQL Select on char or varchar column

9. OpenLink ODBC Drivers running in debug mode ...

10. Openlink announces ODBC driver for Informix on Linux

11. Openlink 16 bit ODBC driver for Informix SE 6.0

12. Installing Openlink ODBC driver for RS6000

13. Error 1157 when loading OpenLink ODBC driver for IO 1.2