Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Post by Richard Yate » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

This is a re-post of a previous Q. that wasn't as clear as it might've been, so
here goes again:

When a Solaris system is shut down for maintenance via init (1|S|s), Sun's
documentation suggests that scripts in /etc/rc?.d run, so processes such
as Ingres can be taken down gracefully. THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO HAPPEN. Instead,
shutdown does a killall (kill -15 followed by kill -9 of active processes not
directly related to the shutdown process). This may have repercussions for
Ingres installations.

Does anyone know of a simple means of making sure that Ingres and other
processes are stopped gracefully via /etc/rc?.d scripts rather than shot when
init is used to stop a system, instead of having to shutdown Ingres
before the init?

Richard.
~~~~~~~~

Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Post by NeilHamm » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

>Does anyone know of a simple means of making sure that Ingres and other
>processes are stopped gracefully via /etc/rc?.d scripts rather than shot
when
>init is used to stop a system, instead of having to shutdown Ingres
>before the init?

   I haven't worked with Solaris, but under HP-UX I wound up renaming
shutdown shutdown.exe and writing a script that shuts ingres down and then
calls shutdown.exe.
   Remember, Ingres doesn't always shut down when you run iishutdown, and
then may have problems starting up again after being forcibly killed. (And
it doesn't return an error code when it fails to shut down.) I test for
the existance of Ingres processes and create a file,
/database/safe.to.start, if it shutdown properly and the rc scripts check
for that file before starting Ingres again.

   Fortunately, OpenIngres includes a forced shutdown option among its
other improvements.

Neil Hammar

"There's something to be said for walking miles in a circle." - David Hale

1. Shutting down dbsrv50 gracefully

Hello All,

How do I shut down my database server in SQL Anywhere gracefully?  I have
checked all the options and can't find one that will let me shut down the
server.  I want to shut down the server gracefully but the only option I
could find was a shutdown on last client disconnect.  I am running on QNX.

TIA,

Spatch

2. Ranking Query Results

3. Shutting down D3 gracefully from unix

4. Passing Parameters to _Screens_

5. Restarting Oracle after shutting down UNIX without shutting down Oracle first

6. User experience with XML databases?

7. Ingres 6.4, Solaris 2.4, cc -O anyone?

8. Progress under UNIX on PC?

9. termcap file for WYSE120 on ingres 6.4/05 on solaris 2.4

10. Ingres 6.4 on Solaris 2.4 performance

11. Ingres under Solaris 2.4

12. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

13. Problem on Ingres application under Solaris 2.4