Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by Obpc » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I am a Clipperhead, who recently got a call from an ex-Boss asking if
>I could help with their Pick system.  I know nothing about it, but he
>knows I'm ususally good at learning quickly.

>I went there and they have an IBM Rt, running PICK on AIX?
>No Dos,  one 160K Floppy, nobody left that knows anything about Pick,
>no idea what files are on the system or what there layouts are, but
>the higher ups need a report with sales data from 3 years ago.

>I hit the manual and doped enough out to be able to locate the file I
>need, and the structure, do some basic ACCESS queries and learn the
>editor a bit.

>The Problems:
>1)  I need to find records with part number 0820, and can do that, BUT
>the items are seperated by a value mark:
>0820[1300]1400, etc,
> as are the prices for each item and the qty.  So when I try and
>print, I have 3 lines, 2 of which I don't want .

>How do I get ONLY the data associated with 0820?

>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

>The above two are critical (Well, for ME, anyway!)

>Would appreciate any help, this group or e-mail.  Thanks!

>Vince Teachout
>Caracal Software

Check out the BY-EXP (exploding) clause.  That should work nicely for you.
Various implementations of Pick work a little differently for the BY-EXP
clause.  So you will have to check the manual and experiment a bit.  Good Luck!

Mike D
http://members.aol.com/obpc1/obpc4.htm

Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by Concerned Netize » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You'll also want to look at the topic of print limiting in conjunction with
by-exp.

the keyword is 'print limiting'

and if you are really lazy you can use a BASIC program to do the print
limiting for you...

Post by Michael M Mas » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I am a Clipperhead, who recently got a call from an ex-Boss asking if
>I could help with their Pick system.  I know nothing about it, but he
>knows I'm ususally good at learning quickly.

>I went there and they have an IBM Rt, running PICK on AIX?
>No Dos,  one 160K Floppy, nobody left that knows anything about Pick,
>no idea what files are on the system or what there layouts are, but
>the higher ups need a report with sales data from 3 years ago.

Is it "Pick Blue" (Open Architecture)?  I've got three RT6150s here
and that's what they run.

[snip]

Quote:>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

Try something like WITH 17 GT "01/01/96" AND LT "01/01/97". I have
some dim recollection that, on the Pick Blue system at least, trying
to do WITH ... AND WITH using the same attribute didn't work as
expected.

Check the dictionary definition for the attribute. Assuming you've got
to grips with the line editor, do

   ED DICT filename 17

First, check that the conversion (which is probably "D2/" but without
the quotes) is on attribute 7 and not on attribute 8. If a conversion
is put on attribute 8, the query language (ACCESS) does the conversion
on the data *before* testing it against your criteria; if it's on
attribute 7 the conversion is only used for the final display and all
the calculations are done on the raw data (the internal date). The
upshot being that if the conversion is on attribute 8 then 'WITH 17 =
"XX/YY/ZZ" will work but virtually nothing else will (at least, not in
any useful way).

Also might be worth checking that attribute 9 is "R" (meaning
right-aligned or numeric) and not "L" (meaning left-aligned or alpha).
This will make a big difference if some of your dates are before
internal date 10,000 and some of the are after it.  Day 10,000 was
18th May 1995.

--
Regards --- Michael

Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by Mari » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Mike:
First look at the file dictionary to see what the fields are and how they
are defined.  As you probably read, PICK uses multi-values within a field
which are separated with a delimiter.  If there are related fields, they
will be defined in the file dictionary field 4 as being controlling or
dependant.  An example is an invoice line which contains a part #, the
description and the price.  If you have 5 lines of these, you don't want to
delete the first part number without deleting the associated description and
price.  If I understand correctly, you are getting  the price and quantity
fields printed when all you want is the records containing that part?  If
so,
1) SELECT FILE.NAME WITH PART = "0820"
2) SAVE-LIST (OR SL) PART.0820.LIST (or PARTS or any other unique name.
This is just a name for you to be able to bring up the same records in the
future).
3) GET-LIST (or GL) PART.0820.LIST will activate only those records that
have part # 0820 in them
4) SORT ONLY FILE-NAME (P  will print a list of those records.
If the part is one of a number of parts in the multi-value field and you
wish to print more info on those records but only print info on part 0820
then use BY-EXP as was suggested previously.  For example to get a list of
customers who bought that part and what they paid and how many they bought,
you would start with the same list you saved above and type the following:
3) GET-LIST PART.0820.LIST
4) SORT FILE.NAME BY CUST.NAME BREAK-ON CUST.NAME BY DATE BY-EXP PART =
"0820" PART DESCRIPTION TOTAL QTY PRICE (P
The (P sends the report to the printer, leaving it off will send the report
to the screen.  The BREAK-ON CUST.NAME will subtotal any field with a TOTAL
in front of it for that customer so you will get a report that looks like
this
RECORD.ID  CUST.NAME                PART    DESCRIPTION
QTY           PRICE
12566             SMITH, JOHN               0820     MAPLE CHAIR
2            148.00
12768             SMITH, JOHN               0820     MAPLE CHAIR
5            128.00
***
7

12488             TAYLOR,*             0820     MAPLE CHAIR
1            156.00
***
1

13252             ZABRISKI, TOM            0820     MAPLE CHAIR
20            110.00
13261             ZABRISKI, TOM            0820     MAPLE CHAIR
5             128.00
***
25
and so on.
Putting a " 'DL' " after the BREAK-ON CUST.NAME will eliminate the total
line for customers with only one invoice and will delete the space line
after the total if the report is long and you wish to conserve space.

Regarding your second problem, try WITH 17 GE 1.1.96 AND < 1.1.97 (the
second WITH screwed you up). Note that in PICK you don't need to type
"01/01/96" or 01.01.96, when 1.1.96 will suffice and if you are in the
current year then 1.1 will define to 01.01.99 by default.
I hope I haven't been too wordy.  Best of luck and if you want a good
reference I have found the books by Roger Bourdon to be excellent.
Regards,
Bob Marik

>>Hello,

>>I am a Clipperhead, who recently got a call from an ex-Boss asking if
>>I could help with their Pick system.  I know nothing about it, but he
>>knows I'm ususally good at learning quickly.

>>I went there and they have an IBM Rt, running PICK on AIX?
>>No Dos,  one 160K Floppy, nobody left that knows anything about Pick,
>>no idea what files are on the system or what there layouts are, but
>>the higher ups need a report with sales data from 3 years ago.

>>I hit the manual and doped enough out to be able to locate the file I
>>need, and the structure, do some basic ACCESS queries and learn the
>>editor a bit.

>>The Problems:
>>1)  I need to find records with part number 0820, and can do that, BUT
>>the items are seperated by a value mark:
>>0820[1300]1400, etc,
>> as are the prices for each item and the qty.  So when I try and
>>print, I have 3 lines, 2 of which I don't want .

>>How do I get ONLY the data associated with 0820?

>>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

>>The above two are critical (Well, for ME, anyway!)

>>Would appreciate any help, this group or e-mail.  Thanks!

>>Vince Teachout
>>Caracal Software

>Check out the BY-EXP (exploding) clause.  That should work nicely for you.
>Various implementations of Pick work a little differently for the BY-EXP
>clause.  So you will have to check the manual and experiment a bit.  Good
Luck!

>Mike D
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by Bruce Nich » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Gooday,
1.  I think what you are looking for is an Access sentence containing
                    ...    BY-EXP part.number "0820"  ......
("part.number" to be replaced with _your_ dictionary definition)

2.   If the dictionary definition for "17" is
001 A
002 17
003 date
004
005
006
007 D2/
008
009 R
010 8

it should work.  If it's not, create a new dictioary defn as above

HTH

>Hello,

>I am a Clipperhead, who recently got a call from an ex-Boss asking if
>I could help with their Pick system.  I know nothing about it, but he
>knows I'm ususally good at learning quickly.

>I went there and they have an IBM Rt, running PICK on AIX?
>No Dos,  one 160K Floppy, nobody left that knows anything about Pick,
>no idea what files are on the system or what there layouts are, but
>the higher ups need a report with sales data from 3 years ago.

>I hit the manual and doped enough out to be able to locate the file I
>need, and the structure, do some basic ACCESS queries and learn the
>editor a bit.

>The Problems:
>1)  I need to find records with part number 0820, and can do that, BUT
>the items are seperated by a value mark:
>0820[1300]1400, etc,
> as are the prices for each item and the qty.  So when I try and
>print, I have 3 lines, 2 of which I don't want .

>How do I get ONLY the data associated with 0820?

>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

>The above two are critical (Well, for ME, anyway!)

>Would appreciate any help, this group or e-mail.  Thanks!

>Vince Teachout
>Caracal Software

>Remove the pants from my e-mail address to reply.

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
Melbourne     Australia

Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by M. Gor » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I don't much myself, but I thought I'd take a stab at it....

These solutions may not be the most elegant but they might work.

Quote:

>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

Try selecting with 17 ge "01/01/96"  Then  From the list that you now
have, select with 17 < "01/01/97"

OR

17 = "[96"

EIther way, you should have everything from 01/01/96 through 12/31/96,
inclusive.

Post by Bill Hann » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

--

Remove the "_" in my email address before responding,

Quote:

>The Problems:
>1)  I need to find records with part number 0820, and can do that, BUT
>the items are seperated by a value mark:
>0820[1300]1400, etc,
> as are the prices for each item and the qty.  So when I try and
>print, I have 3 lines, 2 of which I don't want .

>How do I get ONLY the data associated with 0820?

See the other responses about BY-EXP.

Quote:

>2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
>If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
>But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
>"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
>BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
>the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

If the date field you are selecting is multi-valued (contains value-marks),
then do not include the "AND WITH 17" in the select.  You should use the
following: WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND < "01/01/97"   otherwise you will be
selecting any one record where any of the multi-values are greater than
01/01/96 OR less than 01/01/97-- which includes all records!

Read up on "BY-EXP" and "Print limiters."

Your x-boss is right, you do appear to learn fast.

Help! Newbie - Various questions

Post by bill_ehl.. » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

also, imho, you should get those people OFF that system.  both
hardware and o/s software are ancient, and the latter, i'm
about 99.999% sure, is TOTALLY unsupported by pick systems.

Quote:> >Hello,

> >I am a Clipperhead, who recently got a call from an ex-Boss asking if
> >I could help with their Pick system.  I know nothing about it, but he
> >knows I'm ususally good at learning quickly.

> >I went there and they have an IBM Rt, running PICK on AIX?
> >No Dos,  one 160K Floppy, nobody left that knows anything about Pick,
> >no idea what files are on the system or what there layouts are, but
> >the higher ups need a report with sales data from 3 years ago.

> >I hit the manual and doped enough out to be able to locate the file I
> >need, and the structure, do some basic ACCESS queries and learn the
> >editor a bit.

> >The Problems:
> >1)  I need to find records with part number 0820, and can do that,
BUT
> >the items are seperated by a value mark:
> >0820[1300]1400, etc,
> > as are the prices for each item and the qty.  So when I try and
> >print, I have 3 lines, 2 of which I don't want .

> >How do I get ONLY the data associated with 0820?

> >2. For the life of me, I can't seem to get records for a date range.
> >If I type WITH 17 = "10/15/96", a single date, it works perfectly.
> >But if I try something like WITH 17 > "01/01/96" AND WITH 17 <
> >"01/01/97"  I get ALL records.  Same thing if I try and use WITH 17
> >BEFORE etc, etc.  I even tried using the date values as they are in
> >the table, ie, 10582, or whatever, but no luck.

> >The above two are critical (Well, for ME, anyway!)

> >Would appreciate any help, this group or e-mail.  Thanks!

> >Vince Teachout
> >Caracal Software

> Check out the BY-EXP (exploding) clause.  That should work nicely for
you.
> Various implementations of Pick work a little differently for the
BY-EXP
> clause.  So you will have to check the manual and experiment a bit.
Good Luck!

> Mike D
> http://members.aol.com/obpc1/obpc4.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Help! Newbie - Various questions

Careful with the RT; I kind of remember the correlative and conversion
attributes don't always work the way you would expect them to when selecting. I
think the July/91 (or was it 92?), release was the defining moment in my life!
I still have a client running on an RT on the last release. Send me an e-mail
if you need to know where you stand release-wise. Also the Pick/RT doesn't
handle the multiplication or division of larger numbers very well, I don't have
the routine in front of me that I used to test their general ledger, but I can
get it if you need it.

2. problem getting ROWID with OCIAttrGet()

3. Various newbie questions

4. DataReport not Working

5. Newbie has various SQL questions

6. Range of Numbers

7. Newbie needs script help where various conditions should give same result

8. various Full Text questions

9. Various Full Text Indexing Questions

10. Various questions

11. various questions on column sizes & cleaning up

12. Various locking questions