Running Approach on Unix based NFS???

Post by gart.. » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to get our company Lotus Approach 3.0 database (Windows
3.11) to run on the company network file server which is UNIX (HP-UX)
based (needed to run some another database).  Our 'network consultant'
seem to have difficulty getting a solution to this.  The problem
manifests itself in that one cannot even 'save' the database files to
the server drive from the client where the database is presently
installed due to some kind of 'record locking' problem.  If anyone out
there has got any advice, at least of how I can maybe start to tackle
the problem, or knows of someone who knows what he/she is doing, please

Thanks, any help appreciated!

Post by Brian Speir » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to get our company Lotus Approach 3.0 database (Windows
>3.11) to run on the company network file server which is UNIX (HP-UX)
>based (needed to run some another database).  Our 'network consultant'
>seem to have difficulty getting a solution to this.  The problem
>manifests itself in that one cannot even 'save' the database files to
>the server drive from the client where the database is presently
>installed due to some kind of 'record locking' problem.  If anyone out
>there has got any advice, at least of how I can maybe start to tackle
>the problem, or knows of someone who knows what he/she is doing, please

>Thanks, any help appreciated!

Check out chapter 18 of the Approach User Manual.  This deals with using
Approach on a network.  Details are given there on record locking
protocols necessary for various database file types.

The Approach manual doesn't actually specify that it works with NFS file
systems, but our system is MS LAN MANAGER compatible, which is supported.

Hope this helps

Brian Speirs

1. CA-MILPITAS-111596--UNIX-Solaris-DNS-NFS-NIS-Unix Administrator, Sr.

=
Company    : KLA-Tencor Corp.
Website    : http://www.kla-tencor.com
Job Title  : Unix Administrator, Sr.
Location   : MILPITAS, CA
Job Type   : Contract or Full-Time Salaried
============================
KLA-Tencor Corporation is the world's leading supplier of process control and
yield management solutions for the semiconductor and related microelectronics
industries. Our comprehensive portfolio of products, software, analysis,
services and expertise is designed to help IC manufacturers manage yield
throughout the entire wafer fabrication process - from R&D to final yield
analysis.

How do we measure success? Quite simply by the satisfaction of our employees
and the vitality of our company. We offer the definitive Silicon Valley
experience - a perfect blend of high technology, creativity, and
entrepreneurial spirit. At KLA-Tencor, you'll discover an inexhaustible supply
of new challenges and possibilities.

We welcome you to visit our web site to learn more about KLA-Tencor and our
outstanding benefits at: www.kla-tencor.com.

RESPONSIBILITIES: This position will be responsible for system administration,
as well as enterprise system projects. Team environment. Managing 40-50 servers
in 7/24 environment (Oracle). Must be willing to be on call (24 hours/day) one
week per month and be able to do maintenance on one Sunday per month.

QUALIFICATIONS: Required: NIS, NFS, DNS, KSH, SH, Solaris 2.xPreferred:
Solstice Disk Suite, On-line Disk Suite, Sun Volume manager, PERL, Oracle
Admin., Security-Firewall knowledge

Travel Required          :None
Educational Requirements :None
=
Required Skills
* UNIX
* Solaris
* DNS
* NFS
* NIS
=
Definite Pluses
* SUN
* Perl
* ORACLE
* Firewalls
=
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

Please submit resumes via email or fax to:
=
Contact Information:
Reference : F99-0231
The Staffing Department

Fax No: 408-933-1026

** Post jobs for 30 days for $100, up to 250 postings $350/month
** Matching Resumes E-mailed daily
**  Your ads are virtually guaranteed to be seen by jobseekers on the NET **

                    ** Automatic Posting to **
   ** Yahoo            ** Americas Job Bank    ** Career City    *** ClassifiedsWarehouse

2. pcVerse update from the source

3. CA-Long Beach-84523--AIX-HP-UX-NFS-ORACLE-Solaris-UNIX-UNIX System Administrator

4. SQL Server to NT App.

5. CA-MILPITAS-111596--UNIX-Solaris-DNS-NFS-NIS-Unix Administrator, Sr.

6. pgsql/src include/commands/tablecmds.h include ...

7. problems with backups

8. r:base file locking using PC-NFS

9. APPROACH APPROACH APPROACH

10. Linux NFS with HP-UX NFS