How to create fields in multiple db's simultaneously

How to create fields in multiple db's simultaneously

Post by Rob Chadwel » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 22:53:41

Hey all,

I have a general but perplexing question. We use web-ware
in our business to manage certain data. It is based on an
access database. Now we have released this program to
other companies in our industry and have been quite
pleased with the results. Each company uses the same
pages, but references a different database. Here is the
problem: As I continue to rework this program, add
enhancements, etc - There is a need for database changes.
However, updating 30 databases with the same new fields
is a huge chore now and I need to figure out a way to
somehow automate it or at least make it a ton easier. :)

Any ideas? I can see 100 databases before the end of the
summer, and I can see myself chain smoking. :)

Rob

How to create fields in multiple db's simultaneously

Post by Prescott Nasse » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 04:35:37

Hey,

I am not sure how you run your connection - but if your
variables are the same for each company than you should be
able to create a single webpage which would create the
necessary tables and fields, and then upload it to each
server and just run the page - it would cut down on you
haveing to remake the tables - but depending on how you
created your connection to the database and how many
tables you are adding it might or might not really cut
down on time

Hope this helps a little
~Prescott

Intudata.com>

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hey all,

>I have a general but perplexing question. We use web-ware
>in our business to manage certain data. It is based on an
>access database. Now we have released this program to
>other companies in our industry and have been quite
>pleased with the results. Each company uses the same
>pages, but references a different database. Here is the
>problem: As I continue to rework this program, add
>enhancements, etc - There is a need for database changes.
>However, updating 30 databases with the same new fields
>is a huge chore now and I need to figure out a way to
>somehow automate it or at least make it a ton easier. :)

>Any ideas? I can see 100 databases before the end of the
>summer, and I can see myself chain smoking. :)

>Rob

>.

1. Help.....Creating multiple indexes simultaneously

Some time ago I found out that you can create multiple
indexes on a single table at the same time by running each
CREATE statement in a separate Query Analyzer window.  As
I was reading through some documentation today, I read the
following....

"Operations that create multiple indexes on a table can
now create them concurrently."

from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/sql/proddocs/intro/part3/75515c06.
asp

What I want to know is how do you write the statement to
do something like this.  Is it simply that you put all the
CREATE INDEX statements in one Query Analyzer panel,
execute it and SQL determines that they can be handled
concurrently?  I am interested in running this through
ISQL so I am not sure if that would present any additional
challenges.
Thanks for any help.
---Tony

2. ADOConPool object included with xml/a

3. Multiple DB's and creating records

4. msde client fails

5. Q: Blob Fields in Delphi2 Can't create a DB

6. store procedures parameters

7. Listing multiple Items under 1 record or being able to search multiple DB's

8. How to change configuration of MSACCESS native driver ...

9. How do I create Multiple Field Lookup Fields

10. Connecting to a DB on a machine that has multiple DB's installed

11. Creating New DB doesn't create dbo user

12. GPF's when running multiple exe's against a DB