Need recommendation for VFP self-training

Need recommendation for VFP self-training

Post by Ed Barro » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm new to programming in VFP and am looking for a CBT training course. I'm
using 3.0 and will be migrating to 5.0 "soon". I'm looking to buy a CD-ROM (or
a set) for self-training. Does anyone have experience with a course that they
would recommend? Please tell me where to get it and the approx. cost if known.
TIA
Ed

Need recommendation for VFP self-training

Post by Craig Berntso » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Matering Visual FoxPro from Microsoft. It is geared to 3.0 and a paper to
help you use it for 5.0 will be available soon on the Microsoft web site.
--
Craig Berntson
Salt Lake City Fox User Group

Quote:> I'm new to programming in VFP and am looking for a CBT training course.

Post by Gene Wirchen » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I purchased the Mastering VFP CD from microsoft and was very disappointed.
>I found that it was merely a interactive rehash of the developer's guide.
>If you learn better from this type of interaction, than it could be worth
>your money, but if you have already studied the developer's guide and know
>the basic points, don't bother with the CD.

     I second that.  I gave up on it.  Instructions were very unclear
at times.  "Click on <icon>." when I didn't know what the icon looked
like (since I was just learning, eh?).  I was using VFP5, but didn't
think the differences would be that big.

[snipped previous]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

C Pronunciation Guide:
     y=x++;     "wye equals ex plus plus semicolon"
     x=x++;     "ex equals ex doublecross semicolon"

Need recommendation for VFP self-training

Post by Ev » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Ed,

I am new to programming in VFP too and tried the Mastering VFP CD and
the book Visual FoxPro 3 for Windows Step by Step (MicroSoft Press
ISBN 1-55615-846-7)

The CD has a lot of info, but I had expected to learn more from it.
If you are not very experienced in VFP and  want to learn starting at
a more basic level, I would recommend buying the "step by step" book.
Read it through, and go through the Mastering VFP CD next.
The demo's on the CD are good.
The knowledgebase howto articles are also very helpfull.
Hope this helps,

Edwin.