Switching from inhouse to canned package.

Switching from inhouse to canned package.

Post by Chuck Rei » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Our company wants to switch from inhouse software (written on a VAX) to an
ERP package called Encore. We are a semiconductor processor and distributor
and have about 100 users. At first we were going to gradually going switch
over from the VAX to VB but now management want to use this canned package
instead. At first I thought there is no way a package will work because out
requirements are so specialized, but now I'm starting to like the idea
because it will force the users to adapt to a simpler system. I think we
have been using the inhouse system for so long that the users are getting
out of hand with their requirements. You know, stuff like "Could you make
it so that when John enters an order on a Thursday it automatically prints
out to Bldg 2 instead of Bldg 3?" And then a year later I invariably get
this question, "How come when John enters an order sometimes it prints to
bldg2 and sometime it prints to bldg3?" The point is that a canned package
will force them to stay within certain guidlines and the overall system
will be easier to manage. The question is will the canned package even come
close to meeting our basic requirements?

Any thoughts?

Chuck.

Post by Steve Lev » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

> Our company wants to switch from inhouse software (written on a VAX) to an
> ERP package called Encore. We are a semiconductor processor and distributor
> and have about 100 users. At first we were going to gradually going switch
> over from the VAX to VB but now management want to use this canned package
> instead. At first I thought there is no way a package will work because out
> requirements are so specialized, but now I'm starting to like the idea
> because it will force the users to adapt to a simpler system. I think we
> have been using the inhouse system for so long that the users are getting
> out of hand with their requirements. You know, stuff like "Could you make
> it so that when John enters an order on a Thursday it automatically prints
> out to Bldg 2 instead of Bldg 3?" And then a year later I invariably get
> this question, "How come when John enters an order sometimes it prints to
> bldg2 and sometime it prints to bldg3?" The point is that a canned package
> will force them to stay within certain guidlines and the overall system
> will be easier to manage. The question is will the canned package even come
> close to meeting our basic requirements?

> Any thoughts?

> Chuck.Canned packages are great.

Some questions:
1)  Are they using a common database?  Like Oracle, Informix, Sybase, SQL server?
If so you can write custom reports.
2)  Can you use tools like Magic to make custom programs for special situtations.
maybe they provide the tools.
3)  It might be better to change your operations to work with the software.
Sounds strancge, but I have been on both sides, and it seems like it's easier to change
how people oerate that how software operates.

1. Library Automation Packages Versus Inhouse Development

Hi, I am doing a survey of library automation software. Many of the client/
server library automation packages are expensive. I was wondering if anyone
attempted library automation, by developing a database on top of commercial
DBMSs such as ORACLE, INFORMIX, SYBASE, INGRES, DB/2.

I am looking for comments regarding how inhouse development compares to
readily available packages in terms of cost, time, and quality. Low-end
Dos/Windows based packages are inexpensive, but I am talking about high-end
Clinet/Server or mainframe based packages. Thanks. Prasad
--
Prasad Polamraju, Dept of Math/Computer Science
Univ of Virginia Clinch Valley College, Wise, VA 24293

2. AS400 name change

3. Date Problem

4. data from a remote Oracle box to my inhouse box

5. SQL Server database file size versus Oracle File size

6. Oracle OEM vs. inhouse SQL Server

7. dual prosesor

8. Switch 7.0 to 6.5 fails - appears to be in middle of switch process

9. MDX : Canned Report or OLAP

10. Anyone know of some canned (cheap or free) DB performance testing software

11. canned code to get db on web quickly via perl or