Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Lucio Feitoz » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We are migrating our btrieve 5 applications (both DOS and Windows16)
workstation engines to btrieve 6.15 workstation (DOS and Windows16).
We have encountered some situations where we get an error 85 we did not have
before.
After reading the btrieve documentation we find out that due to some changes
on the microkernel, now btrieve uses file lock for all situations, and that
error 85 should appear sometimes and all we should do is retry a few times
that the error should go away.
However in some cases the error 85 will not go away, i have even made a test
application that would loop forever retrying the error 85, and the test
application will loop forever.

Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this 85 error in these cases, am
i doing something wrong?

Thanks
Lucio Feitoza

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Lucio Feitoz » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Yes i did, if you don't set the multi-user you get an error 88 when opening
files.

> From memory an Erro 85 is file lock problem. Have you setup you
> workstation Engine in Mutli User/System Mode ?

> Rgds
> Simon

> > We are migrating our btrieve 5 applications (both DOS and Windows16)
> > workstation engines to btrieve 6.15 workstation (DOS and Windows16).
> > We have encountered some situations where we get an error 85 we did not
have
> > before.
> > After reading the btrieve documentation we find out that due to some
changes
> > on the microkernel, now btrieve uses file lock for all situations, and
that
> > error 85 should appear sometimes and all we should do is retry a few
times
> > that the error should go away.
> > However in some cases the error 85 will not go away, i have even made a
test
> > application that would loop forever retrying the error 85, and the test
> > application will loop forever.

> > Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this 85 error in these cases,
am
> > i doing something wrong?

> > Thanks
> > Lucio Feitoza

> --

>   Rgds

>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Simon Gronow

>   Po Box 219            Phone  : +61-418-532-899
>   Black Rock Fax    : +61-3-9589-3574
>   Victoria, Australia 3193. World Wide Web : www.babcom.com.au

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

From memory an Erro 85 is file lock problem. Have you setup you

--

Post by Thomas J?cke » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> We are migrating our btrieve 5 applications (both DOS and Windows16)
> workstation engines to btrieve 6.15 workstation (DOS and Windows16).
> We have encountered some situations where we get an error 85 we did not have
> before.
> After reading the btrieve documentation we find out that due to some changes
> on the microkernel, now btrieve uses file lock for all situations, and that
> error 85 should appear sometimes and all we should do is retry a few times
> that the error should go away.
> However in some cases the error 85 will not go away, i have even made a test
> application that would loop forever retrying the error 85, and the test
> application will loop forever.

I think, I had the same problem with a 6.15 win32 and 5.X file format.
I did not find a real solution ...

Quote:

> Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this 85 error in these cases, am
> i doing something wrong?

Thomas

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Lucio Feitoz » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Thomas,
My files are indeed 5.xx, do you think that converting the files to the 6.xx
format will solve the problem?

> > We are migrating our btrieve 5 applications (both DOS and Windows16)
> > workstation engines to btrieve 6.15 workstation (DOS and Windows16).
> > We have encountered some situations where we get an error 85 we did not
have
> > before.
> > After reading the btrieve documentation we find out that due to some
changes
> > on the microkernel, now btrieve uses file lock for all situations, and
that
> > error 85 should appear sometimes and all we should do is retry a few
times
> > that the error should go away.
> > However in some cases the error 85 will not go away, i have even made a
test
> > application that would loop forever retrying the error 85, and the test
> > application will loop forever.

> I think, I had the same problem with a 6.15 win32 and 5.X file format.
> I did not find a real solution ...

> > Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this 85 error in these cases,
am
> > i doing something wrong?

> Thomas

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Thomas J?cke » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks Thomas,
> My files are indeed 5.xx, do you think that converting the files to the 6.xx
> format will solve the problem?

Don't know. Haven't tried that. I could not change the file
version 'cause of other dependencies.

Thomas

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Lucio Feitoz » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Then what did you do to solve the problem?

> > Thanks Thomas,
> > My files are indeed 5.xx, do you think that converting the files to the
6.xx
> > format will solve the problem?

> Don't know. Haven't tried that. I could not change the file
> version 'cause of other dependencies.

> Thomas

Migrating btrieve 5 to 6.15

Post by Thomas J?cke » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Then what did you do to solve the problem?

I did not solve the problem ... <sigh>
I ignored the file lock error - what was possible
in this situation (but with some errors sometimes!)
Now I stay in front of a situation, where this problem
could arise again. I am thinking of trying to switch
to a client/server architecture ... but I have no time
left till the project deadline.

Thomas