essbase outline api

Post by Tim Tow, CPA MCS » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>===iRet = EsbOtlQueryMembers(hOutline, hMember, tEsbPredicate, tEsbCounts)
>===iRet = EsbOtlGetMemberInfo(hOutline, ihMember, tEsbMbrInfo)

>No Errors, MemberName is there, but * tEsbMbrInfo.ulChildCount * is Always
>Zero

Hi Michael,

When you initialize the API, did you specify the Version parameter of the
ESB_INIT_T structure?  If not, Essbase will assume you are using version 4.x
which did not have the child count as part of the member info structure..

Initialize it like this:

    dim tInit as ESB_INIT_T
    tInit.Version = ESB_API_VERSION

Quote:>==============================================

>==3rd way - using the ESB_SEARCH??
>tEsbPredicate.ulQuery = ESB_DIMENSION
>tEsbPredicate.ulOptions = ESB_SEARCH (and tried ESB_WILDSEARCH)
>tEsbPredicate.pszString1 = sMemberName
>iRet = EsbOtlQueryMembers(hOutline, hMember, tEsbPredicate, tEsbCounts)

>No Errors, but tEsbCounts.ulReturnCount = 0 (nothing is returned)

It took me some time to figure out exactly how to make this work...   Take a
look at the source code from my "Advanced API Topics" session from the last
Dimensions conference..   There is an example of doing a search in the
source code which is available, for free, in the TechTips section of my
website:  www.appliedolap.com

Good Luck!
Tim

Tim Tow, CPA MCSD
President
Applied OLAP, Inc

1. Essbase 'C' Outline API problem

Has anybody come across a problem with the Essbase 'C' Outline API using
the ESS_WILDSEARCH option in EssOtlQueryMembers ?

I am successfully using the ESS_SEARCH option, and as far as I can see the
only differences you need between the two options are to specify
ESS_WILDSEARCH instead of ESS_SEARCH, and then you are able to specify a
partial member name with a wildcard at the end, instead of the full member
name, and it should work fine.

However, although I always get a successful status code returned, it never
returns me any valid handles (I am not using ESS_COUNTONLY, so I would
expect to get something back).

I know for certain that I am getting to the right function in the API
because if I deliberately send it an illegal search string, say with two
asterisks at the end, Essbase will return me an error message saying that I
have supplied an illegal parameter for a wildcard search.

I'm using the v4.1.2 16 bit API.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Andy Dell
DecisionWorks Ltd.
London

2. Problems starting the OID ldap server

3. Essbase : Internet based remote calculations or outline updating with Essbase

4. page-size?

5. SQL server versus Essbase : buiding outline members

6. good book for vb+ado!?!?

7. Hyperion Essbase Outline editor Copy

8. >> Large Tables

9. Q RE: Essbase Outline "Batch" Build

10. Optimizing Outline Restructures using Essbase 5.01

11. Essbase Outline Design

12. Essbase Automatic Outline Buildup