Network messaging

Network messaging

Post by Phill Crocke » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00



We've got a system in VFP5 that works across a network (microsoft
networking under win95). All the data is stored on one machine and each
other machine runs the executable sourcing the data from the main
computer, which all works very nicely indeed. We are looking at having a
new machine in the warehouse 60-70 meters from the main office. As a
side to this I was wondering if there is a function that I can call that
will tell me which machines are connected to the database, and is there
a way to send basic messages (a la winpopup) from with VFP. Its not a do
or die thing but it may be handy. Anyone ever done this? Also is this
distance to far for simple IPX network leads, I've read somewhere what
the maximum distance is but I cant remeber where?

Thanks in advance

--
Phill Crocker

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by John Harve » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00



>We've got a system in VFP5 that works across a network (microsoft
>networking under win95). All the data is stored on one machine and each
>other machine runs the executable sourcing the data from the main
>computer, which all works very nicely indeed. We are looking at having a
>new machine in the warehouse 60-70 meters from the main office. As a
>side to this I was wondering if there is a function that I can call that
>will tell me which machines are connected to the database, and is there
>a way to send basic messages (a la winpopup) from with VFP. Its not a do
>or die thing but it may be handy. Anyone ever done this? Also is this
>distance to far for simple IPX network leads, I've read somewhere what
>the maximum distance is but I cant remeber where?

>Thanks in advance

>--
>Phill Crocker

I think Win95 supports the net send command, but you can check by opening a
dos window and typing net send /?  If it is supported, it will show you the
necessary switches and you can run that through a dos call via run send ....
or you can use shellexecute.  Additionally, I'm sure there is an api call
that allows that.  As to the distance, ethernet over a fiber optic line
would probably suffice.

John Harvey
http://home.att.net/~john.harvey/vfpstuff.htm

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by Alexandre Pechtchans » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00




[ Courtesy cc'ed through e-mail to the original quoted author ]


>>We've got a system in VFP5 that works across a network (microsoft
>>networking under win95). All the data is stored on one machine and each
>>other machine runs the executable sourcing the data from the main
>>computer, which all works very nicely indeed. We are looking at having a
>>new machine in the warehouse 60-70 meters from the main office. As a
>>side to this I was wondering if there is a function that I can call that
>>will tell me which machines are connected to the database, and is there
>>a way to send basic messages (a la winpopup) from with VFP. Its not a do
>>or die thing but it may be handy. Anyone ever done this? Also is this
>>distance to far for simple IPX network leads, I've read somewhere what
>>the maximum distance is but I cant remeber where?

>>Thanks in advance

>>--
>>Phill Crocker

>I think Win95 supports the net send command, but you can check by opening a
>dos window and typing net send /?  If it is supported, it will show you the
>necessary switches and you can run that through a dos call via run send ....
>or you can use shellexecute.  Additionally, I'm sure there is an api call
>that allows that.  As to the distance, ethernet over a fiber optic line
>would probably suffice.

In addition, as you are running multiuser application, you would probably want
users logging into your system; the information from the resulting USERS table
is quite handy for determining which computers are connected to the database.
Also, if I am not mistaken, 70m is quite within length limit even for Thinware
(coax, a.k.a. 10Base-2) Ethernet; 10Base-T has even less strict limits (some
300m?).

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by Phill Crocke » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Thanks for the advice. I'd come to the conclusion that setting up a
logging table was probably a good idea. I've just got to convince the
people that write the cheques now its a good idea for the other machine.

Thanks agains
--
Phill Crocker

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by jim walke » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00


 .  As to the distance, ethernet over a fiber optic line

Quote:>>would probably suffice......

> >Also, if I am not mistaken, 70m is quite within length limit even for
Thinware
>(coax, a.k.a. 10Base-2)

10base2  on thin coax is rated at 185 meters between stations

Ethernet; 10Base-T has even less strict limits (some

Quote:>300m?).

 Oops,  you got your feet and meters crossed (don't we all at times)
10BT and 100BT are both rated at 100M or 328FT for maximum run length. this
topogoly requires a phsyical star with each device connected to a "hub"
"concentrator" or "multiport repeater" which are all various flavors of the
same thing. The run distance is the distance between the hub and an
individual device (which of course could be another hub). 10Bt runs on
category 3 and higher twisted pair, 100BT requires Cat 5.

James Walker, MCP
CSMA Solutions

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by MAppell9 » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00


<< side to this I was wondering if there is a function that I can call that
will tell me which machines are connected to the database, and is there>>

Actually, I like to know which users are connected to a database so I have a
separate users database and when a user logs on my database system, I have FPW
lock the record.  Then I can check which records are locked so I know who is
currently on.  But, I would love to find a way to instant message users from
within FPW.  Still unsure about that one.
Mike

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by Phill Crocke » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Yeh the idea is that the machine in the workshop would be used by the
manufacturing lads, when a new job occurs I would like the machine to
flash this up and make loads of noises to tell them. Still if I can't
get this going I'll have to walk all of 70m and tell them.
--
Phill Crocker
 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by Phill Crocke » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00


I've had a thought. If I set up a table containing a field that the
message to be sent goes in, and get the other machine to periodically
check if the field is empty, I could get a form to pop up when the field
is full and by using a logging table I could distinguish the message
from each machine. What would be the easiest and least demanding way to
check something like this at say minute intervals?

--
Phill Crocker

 
 
 

Network messaging

Post by John Harve » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Put a timer on a form and have it execute every (N) minutes.

--
John Harvey
http://home.att.net/~john.harvey/vfpstuff.htm


>I've had a thought. If I set up a table containing a field that the
>message to be sent goes in, and get the other machine to periodically
>check if the field is empty, I could get a form to pop up when the field
>is full and by using a logging table I could distinguish the message
>from each machine. What would be the easiest and least demanding way to
>check something like this at say minute intervals?

>--
>Phill Crocker

 
 
 

1. Sending a network message

Hi,

does any body know a way to send/broadcast a message over the Windows
network from within Progress V8?

I've use OS-COMMAND SILENT VALUE(" NET SEND *" + w-msg),
but then I found out that NET SEND only works on NT and is not available in
Windows95/98. The only way I can find to send a message from within 95/98 is
WINPOPUP.EXE, which I can not manipulate from within Progress, or can I?

Thanks

Simon L. Prinsloo

2. ISA 1.20 on NT4.0

3. NT Windows Messaging and network SMTP server (sending email to Lotus Notes server)

4. Registering a System DSN

5. Intermittent "General Network Error" messages

6. Setting identity off for bcp-in

7. SQL 2000 on XP generates General Network Error message

8. How do I reset the cache

9. Communicate fast messages over a network

10. Network Error messages

11. No message file for product=NETWORK???

12. No message file for product=network, facility=TNS

13. send a message through network to a connected user