Implementing security

Post by Adriana Mira Torre » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi, everybody!

I'm developing an application in VB 3.0 using Intersolv Data Direct ODBC
Driver to manipulate an Ingres 6.4/04 database on a NT Server.
There will be 30 Windows 3.1 clients over a Novel 3.12 LAN acessing it.

I need certain security level, something like:
  -avoid client applications like EXCEL/ACCESS accessing my DB via ODBC;
  -implement different user access level for the application's
processes;
  -record the user code or name who did the last update to a row.

I'm testing alternatives and the password entered on the ODBC logon
dialog box seems not to be checked anywhere.

Does anyone know how to implement it?
What resources to use? Private DBs? Groups/roles? The S.O. security?

TKS

Implementing security

Post by Bill Hoelz » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I'm developing an application in VB 3.0 using Intersolv Data Direct ODBC
>Driver to manipulate an Ingres 6.4/04 database on a NT Server.
>There will be 30 Windows 3.1 clients over a Novel 3.12 LAN acessing it.

Adriana,

Have you actually used CA-Ingres 6.4 on a Windows NT server with multiple
users?  We attempted to use it about 18 months ago, and ran into nothing but
problems.  As a one user system it worked all right, but when we tried to have
more than one person access the database the server would eventually crash,
and corrupt the transaction log file.  CA finally pulled the product from
distribution.
We have started testing CA-OpenIngres 1.2/01 on Windows NT.  So far, it looks
pretty good.  I'd suggest that you try CA-OpenIngres 1.2 for Windows NT, and
don't even waste your time playing with CA-Ingres 6.4.

Bill Hoelzer
SCT Manufacturing & Distribution Systems

1. best way to implement SECURITY in my application?

I designed an inTRAnet application where the employees will only use IE 4.X
to access the application. It runs on SQL Server 6.5 backend. There are
basically two areas: Data Viewing and Data Admin. I want to restrict Data
Admin to a certain NT user group.  I have already designed the ASP
application and it all works fine. Now I need to know if there is a way to
utilize the existing NT groups from within my ASP application to limit
access to certain parts of the site based on what group the current user is
in.  Can anyone help???

btw: I know I can find out user_name using SQL Server function but I need
GROUP name, not user name.

Thanks!
Scott Swain
SeaSoft Web & Database Design
Austin, Texas
http://www.blue-sea.com

2. DECISION SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS REQUIRED

3. How to Implement Security

4. servlet Database connection problem

5. Implementing Security

6. Smartware 11, can't open dababase

7. implementing security with analysis services via http

8. sql server date format

9. How to implement security with XPath/XDR queries?

10. Implementing Security using restricted dimensions

11. Best approach to implement security and identify users.

12. Implementing Security on Visual Basic 6

13. Implementing security in Developer/2000