SCO Open server VS UnixWare

Post by Roberto Guidi A.M.Se.F.C. Ita » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:37:08

We have a customer with a server with SCO Open Server 5.0.2 and Progress 8.3C
installed; now we have to replace the old server with a new one and we have
two choices about O.S.:

- SCO Open Server 5.0.6
- UnixWare 7.1.1

The new server will be only a DB server with probably the same Progress 8.3C
running (an upgrade to the new 9.1C in not yet possible).

We need a suggestion about which OS install on the new server to gain the best
performace and stability about the Progress RDBMS.

Thanks in advance, Roberto Guidi.

--
Ciao / Bye, Roberto Guidi
http://www.comune.fe.it/amsefc/index.htm

SCO Open server VS UnixWare

Post by rock4 » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 08:27:09

Going to SCO OSR 5.0.6 is a no-brainer. Just transfer as is and it will
work. No need to recompile or anything. However, if you plan to use SQL-92
with V9, it won't work with SCO OpenServer. Progress will not make this
happen. It will work with UnixWare, but now you are talking about a new OS.
If you are not familiar with UnixWare it would be like learning another
falvor of UNIX. i.e HpUX, AIX, Solaris, etc.

Scott Rockower
GMS Internationl, Inc.

Quote:> We have a customer with a server with SCO Open Server 5.0.2 and Progress

Post by Bernd Felsch » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:00:48

Quote:>We have a customer with a server with SCO Open Server 5.0.2 and
>Progress 8.3C installed; now we have to replace the old server with
>a new one and we have two choices about O.S.:
>- SCO Open Server 5.0.6
>- UnixWare 7.1.1
>The new server will be only a DB server with probably the same
>Progress 8.3C running (an upgrade to the new 9.1C in not yet
>possible).
>We need a suggestion about which OS install on the new server to
>gain the best performace and stability about the Progress RDBMS.

So have you considered Linux? Progress works very well under Linux.
You can buy more/faster hardware for the savings in licence costs
and run even faster.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |

1. SCO vs UnixWare and Informix on a Pentium

Dear all,

I have some experience running OnLine 5 on a home-grown Pentium with
UnixWare. I then ran some OnLine 5 benchmarks on an Acer Pentium running SCO
(3.2.4.2), and boy, was it slow!

Is it the Acer or the SCO or is it the combination? (I ask before I make the
effort and start trying to find out myself... :-)

TIA for any comments.
--

Cheers,

Billy

"Have you got it yet?" (c) Dazza, 1995

2. ? simple problem ?

3. Fourgen : Sco Unix vs Unixware

4. Database Localization.

5. Fourgen on Sco vs Unixware

6. apache web server to Oracle 8

7. SCO Unixware get to SQL Server ?

8. Snapshot on writes with extended storage

9. Oracle Server Manager GUI and SCO Open server 5.04

10. Informix Dynamic Server V7.3 on SCO Open Server V5.04 installation problem

11. SqlServer ODBC driver for SCO Unixware Unix

12. pgsql/src/include/port (sco.h univel.h unixware.h)

13. pgsql/src/include/port (sco.h unixware.h)