Need help for running Foxbase+/mac 2.01 to MAC OS 9

Need help for running Foxbase+/mac 2.01 to MAC OS 9

Post by unahaya » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:42:51

I have an accounting application that run very good to an LC 475 with
Motorola 68..., it run to with old POWER PC by given a lot of memory,
but it wan't run on a Ibook with MAC OS 9 !!!

If some one have a solution please scribe me .....

Thank you so much
Sorry for my english

christophe pichonnaz
Lausanne Switzerland

fax 0041219071286

Need help for running Foxbase+/mac 2.01 to MAC OS 9

Post by Larry Anderso » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:03:08

Works fine on OS9 even on classic...  Still one of the better database /
RAD languages for the Mac.  :-)

Here is a text I wrote up on what you need to know:

FoxBase and FoxPro are dBase compatible databases originally written by
Fox Software.  There are versions of FoxBase and FoxPro for Windows
Macintosh, Unix and DOS.  Microsoft had dropped support for the DOS,
Unix and Mac versions years ago, but fortunately they still run well up
to Mac OS-9/Classic.

Here are the things to keep in mind to get FoxBase or FoxPro to work in
Operating Systems after 7...

Running FoxBase +/Mac:

1. The "FoxUser" file must go into the System Folder
   (without this, you will get errors.)

2. Increase the preferred memory allotment for the FoxBase Program
   Highlight FoxBase, select Get Info->memory from the file menu, change
the 'preferred setting number.
   6000k is good

3. Increase the internal limits of FoxBase:
   create a "Config.fx" file in the same folder as FoxBase +/Mac (using
either new file of type file file in FoxBase or Simple text.
   In config.fx, put these lines:

   MVARSIZ=64
   MVCOUNT=3600
   BUCKET=32
   FILES=48

   (remember - save the file in the same folder as FoxBase application)
   This lets FoxBase use the maximum number of variables and space to
run your applications - the default settings were set low for low memory machines.

4. If you have lots of windows opening up in your applications you can
save memory error headaches by reducing your colors preferences setting
from millions to 'thousands' in the monitors control panel or strip.
The more colors you use, the more memory it takes to display a window in FoxBase.

Using some XCMDs in FoxBASE....

FoxBase can have a problem with communicating with XCMDs, (such as
Rinaldi's LaunchDoc), to get FoxBase more XCMD event aware, you can
adjust the main application with ResEdit.  Using a copy of FoxBase (just
in case..) Open in ResEdit, Look for the Size item and double click, you
will get a list of properties, check the isHighLevelEventAware setting.  Save.

One side effect of this is that you cannot start a prg file by double
clicking on it from the finder anymore, instead it will only launch
FoxBase and wait.  If you do want FoxBase to auto start a specific
program, you need to add this line to the bottom of the config.fx file:
COMMAND = DO [program name]
If you had several programs you like to initiate from the finder, it may
be time bt write a program menu in FoxBase

Running FoxPro Mac 2.5/2.6

1. FoxProMac 2.5 has a memory leak (over time it runs out of memory,
exiting the program and re-launching it clears the problem for a time),
it would be best to locate and move up to FoxPro version 2.6

2. Install only the 68k version of FoxPro (only distribute the 68k
runtime too), OS 8+ created conflicts with the FoxPro PPC code.  The new
computers are so fast it makes little difference now anyway.

3. As mentioned above increase application memory and keep colors to thousands.

Visual FoxPro 3.0

It does work, but I have not used it enough to offer any hints.

Larry

> I have an accounting application that run very good to an LC 475 with
> Motorola 68..., it run to with old POWER PC by given a lot of memory,
> but it wan't run on a Ibook with MAC OS 9 !!!

> If some one have a solution please scribe me .....

> Thank you so much
> Sorry for my english

> christophe pichonnaz
> Lausanne Switzerland

> fax 0041219071286

> --

         HRC Child Care Resources - a non-profit agency of HRC Inc.
 Serving child care needs for over 20 years in Amador and Calaveras Counties
  Calaveras: (209)754-1075 - Amador: (209)223-1624 - http://www.hrcccr.org/

1. FoxBASE+/Mac 2.01: HELP!!

From the correspondence of this group it would appear FoxBASE+/Mac 2.01
is still useable with OS9 (and may still be with OS X?!). But I have
been unable to use it for some time, and wonder whether anyone can
help.

I have reinstalled FoxBASE, and still have the problem I have the same
problem: when I try to open the program I am stopped short with
"Error: # strings in res file." I assume the culprit is FoxUser, but get
this same error message no matter what I try to open relating to
FoxBASE.

The following is contained in the FoxBASE folder:

FoxBASE
FoxHelp.dbf
FoxHelp.dbt
FoxInstall
FoxUSER
IBMKlone [folder]
Sample [folder]
Template Source [folder]
Tutorial [folder]
Utilities [folder]

I called Microsoft and they said they don't have any replacement copies
left at all. I am utterly S.O.L., unless this group has the knowhow....
Are there any ideas as to how I might solve this problem and get Fox up
and running again?!

Christopher Husted, manager
Bernard Herrmann Music

2. Pass NULL to SP param?

3. FoxBASE+/Mac 2.01 -- HELP!

4. NT4 to Win2K Performance Drop

5. WTB Foxbase+ Mac 2.01

6. Problem with SQL Server "text" datatype field in ASP/ADO

7. FoxBase+ 2.01 Reports in FP2.6 for mac....

8. Stored Procedure Example

9. FoxBase+ 2.01 Reports in FP2.6a for mac....

10. Q: FoxBASE+/Mac 2.01 Labels

11. FoxBASE 2.01 error on Mac

12. Wanted - Foxbase Mac 2.01 developer version

13. WTB: FOXBASE MAC 2.01 compiler/runtime