persistent ?

Post by Joeri Beli » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

what is a persistent procedure ?

my regards, Joeri Belis

persistent ?

Post by Kevin Howar » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

writes:

>what is a persistent procedure ?

>my regards, Joeri Belis

A procedure that doesn't give up and keeps on bugging you ??
(Just kidding)

A prosistent procedure is an enhancement to 7.3 and following that
allows you to refer to any internal routines of the procedure after the
procedure has finished.
for example,
if proga.p was

RETURN.
procedure fred:
message "howdy".
end.

you could say:

def x as handle.
run proga.p persistent set x.
run fred.

and you'd get the message. if you changed the code so that proga.p was
not run persistenly, you would get an error saying that "fred" could
not be found.

But you have to have 7.3 or later to do it -- it wasn't in 7.2

Persistent procedures are great for a lot of things. I use them mostly
for building library routines that get "linked" (to use a C term) at
compile time.

-- Hope that helps.

persistent ?

Post by Warren Bar » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> you could say:

> def x as handle.
> run proga.p persistent set x.
> run fred.

Just in case you are trying this, you really need to:

RUN fred IN x.

Otherwise Progress will try to find fred as an external procedure.

Software Technology Corporation              http://www.GoSTC.com/
Information connectivity solutions using
Progress, Delphi, Java, VB, C++ and other high productivity tools.

persistent ?

Post by Kevin Howar » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> you could say:

>> def x as handle.
>> run proga.p persistent set x.
>> run fred.

>Just in case you are trying this, you really need to:

>RUN fred IN x.

>Otherwise Progress will try to find fred as an external procedure.

-

Good point. I gratefully stand corrected

1. PHP and SQL Server 2000 Persistent Connections

I can't seem to get persistent connections to work when I use odbc_pconnect
with SQL Server 2000 (I had no problems with Access 2000). Is there a
problem using it? Here is the error message I receive when I use
odbc_pconnect instead of odbc_connect:

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named
Pipes]Specified SQL server not found., SQL state 08001 in SQLConnect in
D:\[[ Web Server ]]\dbwire.php on line 26

2. Removing Connections in DTS

3. Persistent connections in memory

4. Error with Data Control

5. PHP and SQL Server 2000 Persistent Connections

6. >>>PROGRESS Systems Analyst - Mississauga, GTA, Ontario, Canada <<<

7. Persistent Connections Using ADO/OLEDB to SQL 2000 via COM+ application

8. Connecting to named instance over internet

9. Non-Persistent Database Connection

10. Optimal persistent user connections

11. Access97 with SQLS2000 - persistent application error

12. CREATE persistent Calculated Member per ADO ?

13. persistent object in c++