Windows limits in the number of files and directories

Windows limits in the number of files and directories

Post by Andrea Mariottin » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:25:45

This is not exactly a VFP question but is related to it because I'm writing
the application in VFP.

I need to store a lot of files and link them to records in a table.
So each record has a number of files related to it.
I need to organize these files on the computer file system.

Now I ask: is there any Windows limit to the number of files I can put
in a directory? Is there any limit to the number of directories I can put
into another directory?

If I remember such a limit there is in the root of NT4.
What about Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP in general?

--
Andrea Mariottini

Windows limits in the number of files and directories

Post by Cindy Winegarde » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:39:34

Quote:> Now I ask: is there any Windows limit to the number of files I can put
> in a directory? Is there any limit to the number of directories I can
> put into another directory?

> If I remember such a limit there is in the root of NT4.
> What about Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP in general?

Andrea, go to Microsoft's free news server, msnews.microsoft.com, and
post your question in one of the groups that relate to operating
systems. You'll have better luck as there are more experts on the OS
among the people who frequent those groups.

Best of luck!

--

Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

1. Using files in c:\windows\temporary internet files\ directory

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use files (copy) that are in the c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ directory?
This directory doesn't behave like a normal directory, but I would like to use html files that are kept there.

When I use the Browser control (ActiveX) I can get a url. However when the html-page consists of frames, I don't know how to get the underlying files. Sometimes it's not possible to access a html-file directly, only when it is in a framed parent (due to a JavaScript).
When I get the parent URL, the cache does save the html-pages that are framed. I can copy the file from the Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ directory manually, but how can I do it automatically? FoxPro won't access the directory, so I can't copy the file.

Who knows a trick?

Thanks in advance

Benno Nolthenius

2. Washington - SQL Server Architect

3. Configuration File, limiting numbers of within Sybase

4. Berkeley CA - Sybase DBA Job

5. Number of files open limit problem

6. Q: Sybase datatypes and rpc parameters

7. is it posserbull to use FMP5 to controll files and directory's in windows

8. Cursor is not open error...

9. Limits on number of files

10. Getting a total hit number and a LIMIT number at the same time

11. 4G Limit of Data File Size in Windows NT4

12. NT SERVER 4.0 - DIRECTORY SIZE LIMIT