Terminal Monitor Question.

Post by Jeffrey Bail » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am having a problem that I hope will be easy to fix...

I have an OpenIngres 1.1_04 server running on an HP-UX machine
and I am trying to get to it from another HP-UX machine (via SQL).

When I issue the following command I get an unable to connect
error message:

  [18] % sql people
  INGRES TERMINAL MONITOR Copyright (c) 1981, 1991 Computer Associates Intl, Inc.
  E_LC0001 GCA protocol service (GCA_REQUEST) failure.
      Internal service status E_GC0139 -- No INGRES DBMS servers (for the
      specified database) are running in the target installation..

  E_LQ0001 Failed to connect to DBMS session.

People is the database I want to connect to.

If I enter this command it works like a charm:

 sql mysrv::people

where mysrv is the TCP/IP name of the server.

I have looked at the netutil info on this machine and a machine
that works and they appear to be identical.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Bailey                                SAS Institute Inc.
Database Interfaces                        SAS Campus Drive

Phone: (919)677-8001 ext. 6709

Terminal Monitor Question.

Post by RW Salni » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>I am having a problem that I hope will be easy to fix...

>I have an OpenIngres 1.1_04 server running on an HP-UX machine
>and I am trying to get to it from another HP-UX machine (via SQL).

>When I issue the following command I get an unable to connect
>error message:

>  [18] % sql people
>  INGRES TERMINAL MONITOR Copyright (c) 1981, 1991 Computer Associates Intl, Inc.
>  E_LC0001 GCA protocol service (GCA_REQUEST) failure.
>      Internal service status E_GC0139 -- No INGRES DBMS servers (for the
>      specified database) are running in the target installation..

>  E_LQ0001 Failed to connect to DBMS session.

>People is the database I want to connect to.

>If I enter this command it works like a charm:

> sql mysrv::people

>where mysrv is the TCP/IP name of the server.

>I have looked at the netutil info on this machine and a machine
>that works and they appear to be identical.

>Any Ideas?

Can you do an rlogin to localhost?  (maybe there is something wrong with
your network setup...)

bob
--
*********  Wanted:  1968 GTO parts   *************

      WA9BVE            |
                -----------------
No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms.  The strongest
reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is
as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
                                        - Thomas Jefferson
                -----------------

Terminal Monitor Question.

Post by Gregory L. Sha » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi All,

> I am having a problem that I hope will be easy to fix...

> I have an OpenIngres 1.1_04 server running on an HP-UX machine
> and I am trying to get to it from another HP-UX machine (via SQL).

> When I issue the following command I get an unable to connect
> error message:

>   [18] % sql people
>   INGRES TERMINAL MONITOR Copyright (c) 1981, 1991 Computer Associates Intl, Inc.
>   E_LC0001 GCA protocol service (GCA_REQUEST) failure.
>       Internal service status E_GC0139 -- No INGRES DBMS servers (for the
>       specified database) are running in the target installation..

>   E_LQ0001 Failed to connect to DBMS session.

> People is the database I want to connect to.

> If I enter this command it works like a charm:

>  sql mysrv::people

> where mysrv is the TCP/IP name of the server.

> I have looked at the netutil info on this machine and a machine
> that works and they appear to be identical.

> Any Ideas?

> Thanks,
> Jeff

> --

> Jeff Bailey                                SAS Institute Inc.
> Database Interfaces                        SAS Campus Drive

> Phone: (919)677-8001 ext. 6709

Jeff,

If you don't specify a node on the command line, Ingres checks the following variable
for a default:

II_GCNxx_RMT_VNODE

where 'xx' is your installation code. This variable is displayed with 'ingprenv' and
set with 'ingsetenv'.

Hope this helps.

--

1. Terminal Monitor Question

Recently I discovered an SQL script (written by somebody who is no longer
with our organization) that causes Ingres to behave in (IMO) a peculiar
manner.

The script is a collection of more than 180 separate "insert" statements
for loading a static table when the database is built.  The programmer put
in only one '\g' at the very end (I prefer to use those a lot more
frequently!).

When this script is run, Ingres prints the "Executing . . ." message.  Then
it quits, with no error message.  No "0 rows" message.  And of course no
rows get inserted into the table.

I'm fairly certain *why* this script bombs -- has to do with the query
buffer being overflowed, right?  (Corollary question: What is the size of
the query buffer?  I can't find a discussion of it in my Ingres
documentation.)

What bugs me (pun intended of course!) is that Ingres does not report an
error message at all.  (I've also seen the phenomenon occur with long
"grant" statements.)  This is particularly frustrating when the offending
script is one of many dozens being run sequentially, generating lots and
lots of output (the '\p' is used liberally too), and the only "sane" way to
check for problems is to scan the log file for Ingres-generated error
messages.

Oh well.  I guess it's time to ("eeeeew" ;-) call tech support and see if
they have a patch for this.  (BTW we're running Ingres 6.4/03 (vax.vms/00),
under VMS 5.5-2.)

--

DBA, Backgrounds Data Center
Naval Research Lab, Washington D.C.

2. Remove line if blank - broken?

3. Terminal Monitor Commands Questions

4. i got a socket error

5. DCL calling terminal Monitor

6. Help: Persistant database connectivity between App & DLL

7. Terminal Monitor echo ?

8. OmniCONNECT v10.5 for SunOS

9. SQL (terminal monitor) gripe

10. Terminal Monitor Application source or object code needed!!

11. terminal monitor from emacs on vms

12. Terminal Monitor Commands