Oracle Express Sales Analyze and Eddie

Post by Bryan Gre » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

  I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!

Oracle Express Sales Analyze and Eddie

Post by WebMaster AlphaCentaur » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Bonjour Bryan
What is the metafile you are talking about ?
Is it linked to the structure of a hierarchy like the '''old''' SMS ?
do not hesitate to private E-Mail me
Pascal D-L

Quote:> Hi all,

>   I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
> used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
> someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
> Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
> manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!

Oracle Express Sales Analyze and Eddie

Post by Paula Allen Thoma » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,

>  I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
>used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
>someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
>Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
>manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!

Hi Bryan...

You're right...manually determining column & widths for your data & meta-data files for Sales Analyzer is not fun.  However, I haven't seen EDDiE in use in over 2 years.  I don't recall it creating Sales Analyzer capable data loaders.

Anyways, Oracle Express Administrator is the reincarnation of EDDiE.
It generates data loader code.  It's delivered on the Oracle Express Objects CD.   Ask Support if this will work.

Paula

Post by Jury Witschni » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi all,

> >  I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
> >used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
> >someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
> >Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
> >manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!

> Hi Bryan...

> You're right...manually determining column & widths for your data & meta-data files for Sales Analyzer is not fun.  However, I haven't seen EDDiE in use in over 2 years.  I don't recall it creating Sales Analyzer capable data loaders.

> Anyways, Oracle Express Administrator is the reincarnation of EDDiE.
> It generates data loader code.  It's delivered on the Oracle Express Objects CD.   Ask Support if this will work.

> Paula

That's right. Express Administrator is the "new" EDDiE. You can use the
Administrator and import an older version of an Express DB and then
convert it to the newer one (without problems). Therefore you might set
the _updateoldversion Variable in Express to YES.

After updating you ca work in the same way as with EDDiE to install or
uninstall Objects and redefine, change or delete them.

If you have any other question or problem dont't hesitate and feel free
to e-mail me directly.

CU. Jury

Jury Witschnig
c/o Institut fuer BWL, FML - Weihenstephan
Tel.:  +49.(0)8161.71.3542,  Fax.: .5030

Post by Alexandru Draghic » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

>   I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
> used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
> someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
> Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
> manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!

Hi,

EDDie is dead indeeed, but you can use Oracle Express Administrator
which replaced EDDiE

Regards

Alexandru Draghici, Oracle Germany

Post by Bryan Gre » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi all,

>>   I used Oracle sales analyze about a year ago, and I
>> used eddie to create the really ugly meta files.  Can
>> someone tell me where I can get another copy of it ???
>> Support told be Eddie is Dead and I have to do it all
>> manually ...NO THANKS !!!!!
>Hi,

>EDDie is dead indeeed, but you can use Oracle Express Administrator
>which replaced EDDiE

EDDie is indeed dead..... After many calls to support I finally found that..

1) Eddie has been dead for a couple of years.
2) The replacement MESA (Meta Editor for Sales Analyzer) was written by
   a consultant and does not officially exist.
3) An official replacement will be coming in a future relase..
4) The Oracle web page (http://www.oracle.com:81/products/olap/html/osa.html)
   Refers to MESA, which is not an an official product (as mentioned in #2)
   and support will not give out copies.
5) There is no way to create meta files through a GUI.. at least not a
supported way.

 any Ideas !!!!!!

Oracle Express Sales Analyze and Eddie

Post by Dan Vlami » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Bryan,

I designed the meta file formats for OSA.  Yes, they are ugly, but hey,
at least they're open ;)  One tip is to always print them out in a
non-proportional font in landscape mode in a small font.  With the help
of a tool like 4Print, you can even get the wide format file to print
out on a laserjet printer.  (I've done it for a class that I gave a few
years ago.)

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I think you have gotten to
the bottom of this.  I didn't know that the name for the internal tool
used by sales consultants was MESA, but otherwise, what you found out
matches what I know.

What I do is start with a template file and edit it to my needs.  A good
programmer's editor that shows column positions is invaluable for this
purpose.  For the fixed-format files (where the column locations are
hard-coded), I suggest placing a comment record at the top and bottom of
the file that shows the starting locations of each field.  I believe the
sample files (CONTROL.SMS, LVLFILE.SMS, etc.) delivered with the
software contain these lines.  Then just enter the information you need.
I think it only takes around and hour to enter this information for most
databases.

For the flexible-format files (parentage, attribute value and data),
these are almost always generated from another (often legacy)
application.  That's why their format is flexible -- so you can use
files already in existence.  Hand-editing these files *is* a major pain
because of their sheer size.  Let me know if I can help in any other
way.

 Dan Vlamis
 Vlamis Software Solutions, Inc.
 Specializing in Express OLAP applications

 Using Virtual Access
 http://www.ashmount.com/va

1. Overhead using Oracle Express, Sales Analyzer tools

It seems that a lot of manpower is required to maintain an Oracle Objects
application unlike Microstrategy or Information Advantage type ROLAP
tools.  The cubes themselves seem to be very rigid to even minor changes,
unlike a relational tool and relational server which is slower but more
forgiving to change.  Its not an adhoc query tool by any means and unless
you know exactly what your users want in terms of information, you can be
in big trouble if you rebuild and reaggregate these cubes retroactively.
If your organization seems to change quite frequently, this tool seems to
have a lot of overhead to retro populate cubes....

Any thoughts.are welcome....

2. random error when opening recordset in asp page

3. Oracle Express and Sales Analyzer

4. Save a browse setup after closing? Possible?

5. Oracle Express Sales Analyzer version control

6. VFP 3.0 Fuel gauge or progress bar classes

7. Oracle Express Project And Oracle Express Database Programmer

8. 6065-SC-Camden-VAX-VMS-DCL-RDB-Fortran-Programmer/Analyst

9. Oracle Express Project And Oracle Express Programmer

10. NY-NEW YORK-84211--ORACLE-DBA Skills-Pre Sales Support-Post Sales Support-Oracle train SAP

11. NJ-NORTHERN-84297--ORACLE-DBA Skills-Pre Sales Support-Post Sales Support-Oracle train SAP

12. NY-NEW YORK-84211--ORACLE-DBA Skills-Pre Sales Support-Post Sales Support-Oracle train SAP