Decisions, decisions: MySQL, mSQL or PostgreSQL???

Decisions, decisions: MySQL, mSQL or PostgreSQL???

Post by Derek Hardim » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm working on a pet project running under Linx. I need a database
server that's pretty fast put that will be able to recover in case of
*ups. I believe that PostgreSQL supports transactions but MySQL
and mSQL don't. I've heard tha\t they're both faster than PostgreSQL,
biut is the difference much? Is there anyway to get the effect of
transactions on MySQL or mSQL in another way.

Excuse my ignorance - I know sod all about databases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek.

Decisions, decisions: MySQL, mSQL or PostgreSQL???

Post by Max Hornec » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Derek!

if you really are in need of speed and if you really don't want to spend
money you should consider SYBASE tool. In a test in a german magazine it
outperformed Oracle and DB2.

Quote:> I'm working on a pet project running under Linx. I need a database

--
Gru?,
Max Horneck

1. Decisions, decisions......

I need to choose a database program for windows. Rapid file for dos
is what is currently being used. There will be alot of printing
running while continuing to work on other files. Compatability with
other formats of database software is important.  Also I need to match
the names and telephone numbers in the files with current phone
listings on CD-ROM and purge the names which are bad numbers.

Thank You,

Dante

2. Newbie: Some questions about DB2

3. Who supports mSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL?

4. parallel query and functions

5. Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

6. HowTo Create Child Obj from Parent Obj?

7. HELP: Web Hosting Services Supporting mSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL

8. US-CA-DEVELOPER NEEDED IN LOS ANGELES,CA

9. DECISIONS! DECISIONS! HELP

10. Upgrades and design decisions - help!

11. Why does Upsize Wizard make bad decisions?

12. Decision'99 - Paris, France