Problem with deleting records and table buffering

Problem with deleting records and table buffering

Post by joe grand » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Having this strange problem with an application I created.
The form has 2 tables that are related as 1-to-many with
table buffering on.  The problem occurs when I try to delete
a record from the parent table.  After marking the record as deleted,
I execute the tableupdate command, but the tableupdate fails.  In my error
handling routine I get the error # 1539 (Trigger Failed).
What's strange is that when I try to delete the record from
the command window, the delete works perfectly.

I've search the microsoft knowledge base, but there doesn't
seem to be anything that relates to my specific problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Grande

Problem with deleting records and table buffering

Post by Osmaro Gariando I » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Joe
Make sure you're not using a Stored Procedure in your Database..
and check the referential integrity Code in stored procedure if changes..
Osmar

>Having this strange problem with an application I created.
>The form has 2 tables that are related as 1-to-many with
>table buffering on.  The problem occurs when I try to delete
>a record from the parent table.  After marking the record as deleted,
>I execute the tableupdate command, but the tableupdate fails.  In my error
>handling routine I get the error # 1539 (Trigger Failed).
>What's strange is that when I try to delete the record from
>the command window, the delete works perfectly.

>I've search the microsoft knowledge base, but there doesn't
>seem to be anything that relates to my specific problem.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Joe Grande

1. Table Buffering Problem (using level 5 buffering)

I am using use CURSORSETPROP("BUFFERING",5) in VFP6.
This method is ideal for my application which is a multiuser
environment.  I have found one problem with this buffering
scheme:  the data in records which have been changed by
other users does not become updated in the buffered table
which I am using unless I open a browse window and have
refresh set to 1 second or greater.  Editing of a record field is
done through TEXT boxes on a form.  In some fields it is
necessary to validate the input to guarantee the value is unique
(not used in any other record of the table for the specified
field).  This is accomplished by performing a SEEK().
Unfortunately, the SEEK() is looking at stale data which is
locked in as soon as buffering is set.  I solved the problem
by creating a tiny window and creating a browse using the
NOWAIT option and then releasing the window before doing
the SEEK().  This causes the data in the buffered table to
become immediately updated.  I don't like the solution
because it is time consuming.  Is there another way to get
the table to automatically update without having to use a
browse?  (Setting REFRESH does not cause a buffered
table to update on its own.)

I would appreciate any ideas.
--E. Myron

2. how to find a table in all database on an instance

3. Cannot add record to Visual Foxpro table after deleting all records in table

4. Distributaaaaargh.

5. PROB: Delete record in Form with buffering

6. SQL Server 7 to mySQL replication.

7. delete duplicate records (problem to update related table)

8. Packed / compressed field

9. Problems with deleting all records from a table

10. Deleted records when text file is linked as table (#deleted)

11. Problem with TTable after deleting all records in DBase table

12. ado .delete deletes joined table records?

13. SQL7 server crawls (locks) when deleting records from a 3 million record table