OT: URL to email?

Post by Rick » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:07:56

Anyone know of a site that lets you enter a URL and have it converted to an
email address? Don't ask why.

OT: URL to email?

Post by Don Verhage » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:38:19

: Anyone know of a site that lets you enter a URL and have it converted
: to an email address? Don't ask why.

Umm...how? Convert to what email address?

The only thing I can think of is the administrative email contact listed by
query a WHOIS database.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks,
Donald Verhagen

OT: URL to email?

Post by Rick » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:21:28

> : Anyone know of a site that lets you enter a URL and have it converted
> : to an email address? Don't ask why.

> Umm...how? Convert to what email address?

> The only thing I can think of is the administrative email contact listed
by
> query a WHOIS database.

> Is that what you mean?

No. I have the URL of someone who posted in a another newsgroup and wish to
contact them directly.

Richard

OT: URL to email?

Post by kevin zollinge » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:48:22

>> : Anyone know of a site that lets you enter a URL and have it
>> : converted to an email address? Don't ask why.

>> Umm...how? Convert to what email address?

>> The only thing I can think of is the administrative email contact
>> listed
> by
>> query a WHOIS database.

>> Is that what you mean?

> No. I have the URL of someone who posted in a another newsgroup and
> wish to contact them directly.

> Richard

Meaning that you have the URL to their website? If there isn't a contact
listed there, and they don't own the domain then you're outta luck....

If they do own the domain then there should be some contact information in
their whois records. From the command line of any net connected unix box
doa whois URL (without the www) and you should get a screen of information.
If you don't have a unix box around you can get the same information from
http://www.network-tool.com.

If the URL is to an ISP, and there is a ~ in the address
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/~gwb) then you might try the part that comes
after the ~. Ir doesn't always work, but sometimes.

Try the name and URL in google, checking both the web and groups tab.

Good luck.

--
~ kevin zollinger

OT: URL to email?

Post by Jeff Caspar » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:00:11

Okay Ricky, what's her name?

Quote:> No. I have the URL of someone who posted in a another newsgroup and wish
> contact them directly.

> Richard

OT: URL to email?

Post by Art Mart » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:28:51

URLs *DON'T* map to email addresses. It don't work that way!

You might have the IP address of the machine the email came from, but
there could be hundreds of email addresses supported on that machine.

Art

>>No. I have the URL of someone who posted in a another newsgroup and
>>wish to contact them directly.

>>Richard

> Meaning that you have the URL to their website? If there isn't a contact
> listed there, and they don't own the domain then you're outta luck....

OT: URL to email?

Post by Rick » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:50:08

Quote:> Okay Ricky, what's her name?

> > No. I have the URL of someone who posted in a another newsgroup and wish
> > contact them directly.

> > Richard

I wish! No this is some * who is running their mouth. The whole story
is so long and convoluted that I would need hours to type it all out. I do
have his e-mail address as a URL at aol.com

OT: URL to email?

Post by kevin zollinge » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:35:19

Quote:> URLs *DON'T* map to email addresses. It don't work that way!

> You might have the IP address of the machine the email came from, but
> there could be hundreds of email addresses supported on that machine.

But sometimes you can get lucky and work one out from the URL. Especially
if it is an Apache box using a default setup for personal websites.....

--
~ kevin zollinger

OT: URL to email?

Post by kevin zollinge » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:37:07

Quote:

> I wish! No this is some * who is running their mouth. The whole
> story is so long and convoluted that I would need hours to type it all
> out. I do have his e-mail address as a URL at aol.com

I don't think that AOL maps screen names, email address and web space
together directly.  If you can't google for him I suspect that you are
done.

--
~ kevin zollinger

OT: URL to email?

He's not rattling on about red and blue cars is he?

Post by Don Verhage » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:47:17

> > I wish! No this is some * who is running their mouth. The whole
> > story is so long and convoluted that I would need hours to type it all
> > out. I do have his e-mail address as a URL at aol.com

> I don't think that AOL maps screen names, email address and web space
> together directly.  If you can't google for him I suspect that you are
> done.

Yes, AOL does map screen name (email) with their members personal web space.

Example:

or

Donald Verhagen

> --
> ~ kevin zollinger

OT: URL to email?

Post by Ross Ferr » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:36:00

But we HAVE to ask why .... a URL is typically a pointer to a web
site, and communication takes place via HTTP, or FTP. Given a "URL"
like www.stamina.com.au (please visit if you are looking for the
easiest path to GUI with our Visage product), there is no way to

would be hit & miss at best.

Ofcourse if you want to know how to fire off an email by entering a

HTH

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage - an Evolution in Software Development

> Anyone know of a site that lets you enter a URL and have it converted to an
> email address? Don't ask why.

1. Email via URL fails to open default email app

I'm running OSX/9.2.1 with Entourage (X) and Filemaker 5.5 (X).

The script that used to launch my default email app and send a formatted
email no longer works.

I've double and triple checked the system's setting for selecting the
default email app. Even tried switching it to the built-in Mac Mail app with
no luck.

The script has not changed.

Any suggestions?

--
Morgan Cox

ICC Color Services
Macintosh Support
Adobe Photoshop Training
Color Management Consultation and Services

619-850-7318

2. Help. How can I display an image in a picturebox from an access table.

3. OT: Email surcharge

4. Web servers and concurrency?

5. OT ***change of email address***

6. Access 2.0 and ODBC

7. URL Encode an Email Message

8. How do I change the data path for Foxpro DSN when a DTS package is running?

9. Max URL and Email Length ?

10. Send Email/Open URL Questions

11. Send emails to all email addresses on my database

12. Can you use SQL to receive emails and send automated reply emails

13. XP Logon screen shows unread email...when no email exists