Select a research subject

Post by abuaz.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:33:32

Hi,

I was off from research 3 years ago. Now I want to return back but do
not know what will be the suitable subject within  Databases in
general. I would like to select my subject in databases but do not know
what to choose specifically. I am looking for an interesting subject
that is still new and includes a lot of research points to tackle. Any
hints or advice are really appreciated

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Select a research subject

Post by Aakash Bordi » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:27:39

OLAP and warehousing is the way to go!

> Hi,

> I was off from research 3 years ago. Now I want to return back but do
> not know what will be the suitable subject within  Databases in
> general. I would like to select my subject in databases but do not know
> what to choose specifically. I am looking for an interesting subject
> that is still new and includes a lot of research points to tackle. Any
> hints or advice are really appreciated

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Select a research subject

Post by srini.. » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:38:36

Database design for genetic (DNA) data storage, comparison and
retrieval is my suggestion.

Post by Jan Hidde » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:44:29

> Hi,

> I was off from research 3 years ago. Now I want to return back but do
> not know what will be the suitable subject within  Databases in
> general. I would like to select my subject in databases but do not know
> what to choose specifically. I am looking for an interesting subject
> that is still new and includes a lot of research points to tackle. Any
> hints or advice are really appreciated

XML and semistructured data in general. Check out the following URL:

  http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/conf/webdb/webdb2000.html

If you want to know what is hot in database theory look at the CFP of ICDT
(Internation Conference on Database Theory):

  http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/icdt2001/call.html

Some other conferences to keep an eye on:

 SIGMOD/PODS: (Principles of Database Systems)

 http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/sigmod2001/index.html

 VLDB: (Very Large Databases)

 http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/vldb2001/

Good luck with your research.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

    Jan Hidders

Select a research subject

Post by Ray » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Yea, I would have to second that.  Figure out some way to move the human
genome into a relational table that allows it to gain all of the benefits of
that system (fast searching, etc.) without creating a terabyte database.
You do that, and you will probably get a Nobel Prize...

    Ray.

1. Research Fellowships at Concurrent Engineering Research Center

Graduate Research Fellowship at the Concurrent Engineering Research Center, WVU

The Concurrent Engineering Research Center (CERC) at West Virginia
University (WVU) is soliciting applications from qualified graduate
students interested in pursuing their Ph.D. in Computer Science for
research fellowships in computer support for collaborative
enterprises.  Computer support for collaborative enterprises addresses
fundamental and application oriented issues in groupware, multimedia
software systems, network-based conferencing, high performance
multimedia, multithreading, enterprise modeling, enterprise
integration, heterogenous databases, mediators, information filtering,
decision-support systems, and team-coordination. These generic
technologies are being applied to a number of applications such as
healthcare, collaborative environments for Software development, and
building "Global Knowledge Networks" that support "eco factories."
Prospective applicants must have completed a Masters in Computer
Science. Strong background in computer science, excellent academic
credentials and research experience are required.  Students with
experience in areas related to the ones mentioned above are preferred.

Fellowships include salary (1000/per month), tuition waiver, and use
of state-of-the-art computing facilities. The students must meet all
the admission criteria stipulated by the Statistics and Computer
Science Department at WVU to be eligible for these fellowships from
CERC.

CERC was established in 1988 as part of the DARPA Initiative in
Concurrent Engineering (DICE). The primary mission of CERC is the
advancement of enabling technologies for the Collaborative Enterprise
- an organization that emphasizes collaboration among its many
components as the key to its success. The Center operates as an
independent inter-disciplinary research laboratory within West
Virginia University.

Applications are solicited starting now for fellowships that can begin
January 1994.

How to apply
------------

Applications for assitantships from CERC and questions should be
submitted to:

        Professor R. Reddy
        Director
        Attention: iBonnie Kasten
        Concurrent Engineering Research Center
        P.O. Box 6506
        886 Chestnut Ridge Road
        West Virginia University
        Morgantown, WV 26506

Applications for admission to Computer Science Department should be
submitted to:

        Professor John Atkins;
        Department of Statistics and Computer Science
        Knapp Hall
        West Virginia University
        Morgantown, WV 26506

2. why doesn't this work?

3. Research Officer position at National Research Council

4. HOW DO I CREATE A LIST OF CHOICES FOR A FIELD?

5. Research Officer position at the National Research Council Canada

6. ODBC Boolean handling

7. Graduate Research Assistantships for NII Research & Development

8. HOW DO I READ THE DICTIONARY INFORMATION OF A COMPILED PROGRAM ?

9. multiple select ( for lack of a better subject title)

10. Restricting number of rows selected per subject

11. Researching SQL Server 2000 and IIS 5.0

12. Client/Server Research