Installing Access 2000 With MS Office 2000 (Standard Version) Already Installed

Installing Access 2000 With MS Office 2000 (Standard Version) Already Installed

Post by Lloyd Lindsa » Fri, 18 May 2001 08:56:02

Hi folks:

I purchased MS Office 2000 (Standard Version) upgrade when it first
came out because it integrates the office programs that come with it.

Previously, I used non-MS programs that in my view were better, but
could only operate on a stand alone basis.  For example, I was unable
to obtain an address from my PIM while composing a letter with my
previous Word Processor unless I used some cumbersome copy and paste
routines.  Now, using Outlook 2000 as my E-mail client and my PIM,  I
can obtain addresses from Outlook while writing a letter in Word.

However, I now see a need for a Database to help me run my business.
Access 2000 did not come with my Standard Version of Office 2000.  So
here are my questions:

1. Will I have any problems if I buy Access 2000 and install it onto a
computer that has Office 2000 (Standard Version) already installed?

2. Would a non-MS Database be better and could I install it on a
machine with Office 2000 (Standard Version) already installed?  Do
most non-MS databases integrate well with Word and Excel?

3. MS has LIbrary Programs with templates that tie in with Outlook and
Access.  Do they work well?

4. Would a computer literate person who is an Office 2000 power user
have problems installing and setting up Access (initially with Wizards
and templates) ---- especially if (s)he has some general knowledge
about database concepts and programs?

5. If I purchase Access 2000 now, do I get a discount because I
already have MS Office 2000?

----
Cheers,

Lloyd Lindsay

Replace (hyphen) with -

Post by Bj?rn Lammer » Fri, 18 May 2001 14:51:59

> Hi folks

Hi Lloyd

Quote:> 1. Will I have any problems if I buy Access 2000 and install it onto a
> computer that has Office 2000 (Standard Version) already installed?

Not many. You may experience problems installing updates, though. For
instance, if you installed Office and applied a service release, then
installed Acces, trying to apply the service release again (to update
Access as well) may fail (it failed here). I haven't encountered any other
problem, though.

Bj?rn

Installing Access 2000 With MS Office 2000 (Standard Version) Already Installed

Post by Lloyd Lindsa » Sun, 20 May 2001 02:40:27

On Thu, 17 May 2001 07:51:59 +0200, "Bj?rn Lammers"

>> Hi folks

>Hi Lloyd

>> 1. Will I have any problems if I buy Access 2000 and install it onto a
>> computer that has Office 2000 (Standard Version) already installed?

>Not many. You may experience problems installing updates, though. For
>instance, if you installed Office and applied a service release, then
>installed Acces, trying to apply the service release again (to update
>Access as well) may fail (it failed here). I haven't encountered any other
>problem, though.

>Bj?rn

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to know more on how you would do your updates.  Logically
I would do the following:

1. Update Office 2000.
2. Install Access 2000.
3. Update Access 2000.

From here what happens?

If I run an update for Office 2000, will it update Access 2000 as
well, or would I then update Access 2000 separately?

----
Cheers,

Lloyd Lindsay

Replace (hyphen) with -