PC terminal emulation for Pick

Post by David Mas » Tue, 06 Jul 1993 23:27:23

Excuse the somewhat newbie question, but Pick isn't quite my usual line.

Got a guy with a PC that wants to log onto his Pick box.  On Unix we use
Kermit for DOS (free) running as a vt100 or vt320.  Does Pick support
the vt100 emulation?  Where do I set it in the O/S?

A real question to get the group going.
--
David Mason, Unix system support.
Aztec Information Management, Cape Town, South Africa.

Post by David De Trol » Wed, 07 Jul 1993 13:21:56

>Excuse the somewhat newbie question, but Pick isn't quite my usual line.

Understood, when at my last position they brought in a mainframe from
Honeywell/Bull running Pick, people all turned and said "Pick?"

Quote:>Got a guy with a PC that wants to log onto his Pick box.  On Unix we use
>Kermit for DOS (free) running as a vt100 or vt320.  Does Pick support
>the vt100 emulation?  Where do I set it in the O/S?

I do not know about OS2, but at my last job, there were WYSE dumb terminals
connected at 19.2 baud, and here is a list I have from a book on Pick.

Its ISBN number is 0-938862-22-7, and it was
published by Weber Systems, Incorporated here in the United States.

ADDS 580
AMPEX 210
C. ITOH VT 52
DATAMEDIA
IBM PC/XT (PORT 0, LINE 0)
LEAR SIEGLER
AMPEX 80
PERTEC 701
ADDS REGENT
ADDS VIEWPOINT
WYSE 50

There was also a version of the PICK
opsys running in the payroll dept. on a AT with an amber screen.

Quote:>A real question to get the group going.

Agreed!

--

---------------                         --------------------------------
Still thinking of a decent quote or message to include here.

Post by Robert W. All » Wed, 07 Jul 1993 13:24:14

>Excuse the somewhat newbie question, but Pick isn't quite my usual line.

That's ok. We get a lot of that.

Quote:>Got a guy with a PC that wants to log onto his Pick box.  On Unix we use
>Kermit for DOS (free) running as a vt100 or vt320.  Does Pick support
>the vt100 emulation?  Where do I set it in the O/S?

At TCL, 'TERM VT-100' ought to work. If his application is not well-behaved,
you might have to look thru his logon proc or his application's initialization
routines to find where they are doing a 'TERM' command and, if it isn't hard-
coded, where they are getting the terminal type to use in the command.

Rob Allen
Software Support
Sequoia Systems, Inc.
--

Post by Lynn Niels » Wed, 07 Jul 1993 14:57:02

>>Excuse the somewhat newbie question, but Pick isn't quite my usual line.

>That's ok. We get a lot of that.

>>Got a guy with a PC that wants to log onto his Pick box.  On Unix we use
>>Kermit for DOS (free) running as a vt100 or vt320.  Does Pick support
>>the vt100 emulation?  Where do I set it in the O/S?

>At TCL, 'TERM VT-100' ought to work. If his application is not well-behaved,
>you might have to look thru his logon proc or his application's initialization
>routines to find where they are doing a 'TERM' command and, if it isn't hard-
>coded, where they are getting the terminal type to use in the command.

>Rob Allen
>Software Support
>Sequoia Systems, Inc.
>--

On systems that use Pete Schellenbach's Accu-Cursor, you may have to run the
program DEFINE-CURSOR to determine the letter mapping for the VT100 emulation.
On most native PICK systems the mapping is the letter J.  Once you know or have
assigned the correct letter, use the SET-TERM J command from SYSPROG or a TERM J
command in the user account (assuming J is the correct mapping).

Lynn Nielson

                                            10489 Edinburgh Drive, Highland, UT

Post by Don Weymou » Tue, 20 Jul 1993 22:38:56

|>Newsgroups: comp.databases.pick

|>Subject: PC terminal emulation for Pick

|>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 93 10:27:23 GMT+5:00
|>
|>Excuse the somewhat newbie question, but Pick isn't quite my usual line.
|>
|>Got a guy with a PC that wants to log onto his Pick box.  On Unix we use
|>Kermit for DOS (free) running as a vt100 or vt320.  Does Pick support
|>the vt100 emulation?  Where do I set it in the O/S?
|>
|>A real question to get the group going.
|>--
|>David Mason, Unix system support.
|>Aztec Information Management, Cape Town, South Africa.
|>#####
|>Status symbol of the 1990's ........ a job.

You might want to contact Anson Grossfeld at Stauffer Information Systems.
(805)641-1400. They have a windows front-end for a number of the pick databases
in client-server mode.

--
Internet:                               Donald G. Weymouth

                                        Law Enforcement & Justice Integration
                                                Services
Fax:                                    200 Forest Street - MRO1-3/C8
(508)467-6796                           Marlboro, MA 01752-3011
                                        (508)467-4679

1. Terminal emulation for PC's

We're looking for simple or foolproof (i.e. public access) terminal
emulation for accessing data from a direct, serial line from our
Ultimate to several PC's running variously Win95 and WfWG.

The obvious packages are obvious - PKTerm, wIntegrate, Accuterm - and
expensive.

We're wondering if there are any freeware, shareware, or lower-priced
spreads that might do an acceptable job on ADDS VIEWPOINT emulation.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Creed Kidd
Uintah County Library
Vernal, UTAH

2. The Cube does not contain any visible measures

3. Terminal Emulation For Pick d3.

4. Access MDB

5. WANTED: PICK terminal, ADM11R emulation

6. Date conversions

7. PC Emulation for PICK

8. ipaq pocket pc VS pocket pc emulation

9. Terminal Emulation

10. VB 5 and terminal emulation control

11. Need early Java terminal emulation info

12. Wanted: "screen scraper" - Terminal Emulation interface