Convert To Phantom Process - D3 Aix

Post by jim » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:16:21

I have a process (actually several) that automatically log into pick, via
tcp/ip and by loggin in to a specific port # automatically log into a specig
pick process (a proc stat starts)

problem that each of these takes up a Pick License and I have 10 of these.

Pick Phantom process do NOT use up a license - any suggestions to how to log
these in as a phantom rather than a standard login

Thanks in Advance

Convert To Phantom Process - D3 Aix

Post by jim » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:38:40

Quote:> I have a process (actually several) that automatically log into pick, via
> tcp/ip and by loggin in to a specific port # automatically log into a

specific > pick process (a proc stat starts)
by executing in the .profile
exec ap -109 -d '\r\xTN103\r, with TN103 being the Pick login

The problem IS, that each of these takes up a Pick License and I have 10 of
these.

Quote:

> Pick Phantom process do NOT use up a license - any suggestions to how to
log
> these in as a phantom rather than a standard login

> Thanks in Advance

Convert To Phantom Process - D3 Aix

Post by Patrick A Latime » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:55:02

1. Log on.
2. Kick off the same process but!
   a. EXECUTE the process as a phantom
      using the CAPTURING option.
   b. Write the output variable from the
      CAPTURE as a Audit/Log file.
3. Exit.

P.S. Add Date/Time as att<1> to the Capture Data
     record and then check this file and you can then
     use "1" Pick License with the proper schedule.

HTH
Patrick

--
Women are the only realists; their whole object in life is to pit their
realism

Convert To Phantom Process - D3 Aix

Post by Patrick A Latime » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:06:24

Great Concept, can you send or post
more specific Information.

Patrick

> > I have a process (actually several) that automatically log into pick, via
> > tcp/ip and by loggin in to a specific port # automatically log into a
> specific > pick process (a proc stat starts)
> by executing in the .profile
> exec ap -109 -d '\r\xTN103\r, with TN103 being the Pick login

<snip>

Post by Patrick Pay » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 05:31:34

> Great Concept, can you send or post
> more specific Information.

> Patrick

> > > I have a process (actually several) that automatically log into pick, via
> > > tcp/ip and by loggin in to a specific port # automatically log into a
> > specific > pick process (a proc stat starts)
> > by executing in the .profile
> > exec ap -109 -d '\r\xTN103\r, with TN103 being the Pick login
> <snip>

The logging in and spawning off a phantom is a neat idea.

Your other way is to:

#1: When you log into the machine (probably using expect) write a
entry of your request to a file (lets say /tmp/myrequest)
Then wait for some type of response file
#2: Write a pick phantom, have it scan that file for a file, if it
sees it, then execute the required function and write out a result
file. Pick can read unix files easily
OPEN "unix:/tmp/myrequest" to file else stop
SELECT FILE
... etc

But what you are basically doing here is creating a type of RPC
program.  A web server does exactly this and would probably be easier.
Take a look at Coyote or Flashbasic for web servers.  Many people
don't understand that web servers are basically RPC systems.  The web
server recieves a request with a series of variables and executes some
local routine and returns a result.  Doug at Piclan has even extended
this idea on pick machines and has created the ability to call
subroutines on other machines, and it appears it is handled thru the
coyote web server.

As a client, I would then suggest looking at Curl http://curl.haxx.se/
 .  This is a excellent command line web browser that works under
windows and unix.

1. Phantom Processes - D3/AIX

I have 5 phantom processes running on D3 system I inherited. How do I tell
what is actually running on these processes?

514 0FC40A FF10 000018   P  rps.getcmd:000
515 102580 FF10 000018   P  rps.getcmd:000
516 1032C5 FF10 000018   P  rps.getcmd:000
517 1032C8 FF10 000018   P  rps.getcmd:000
518 104741 FF10 000018   P  rps.getcmd:000

2. CFP: EDBT 2002 Workshop on XML-Based Data Management (XMLDM)

3. D3/NT and starting a phantom process from coldstart

4. Freelists

5. starting phantom processes on D3

6. Mystery Dates

7. Runaway Process? D3 / AiX

8. Accessing Foxpro 2.6 from Sybase

9. Converting ADDS to D3/AIX

10. converting unidata to d3 aix

11. Moving data from D3 AIX to D3 NT

12. D3/AIX Account Restore from D3/NT

13. ACCOUNT-RESTORE from D3/NT to D3/AIX