Limitations of MS Access??

Post by Rick Moor » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Please!

What are the limitations of MS Access?  Number of Simultaneous Users?
Volume of Data?

I work for a 3500 person organization.  We want to build a customer
service database that will accept data from 8 people (approx. 50 - 75
entries per person per day) simultaneously & in theory could be accessed
by any person in the organization (3,500 people in case you do not
remember) on an intranet.

My first thoughts are that Access is not enough.  SQL Server I say,
Oracle, Fox Pro.... But not Access!  Client/Server... Not desktop!

However, I have no cold hard facts to support my opinion. Microsoft's
www site offers no support for me.

Save me from this nightmare...enlighten me.

Limitations of MS Access??

Post by Steve Lev » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Please!

> What are the limitations of MS Access?  Number of Simultaneous Users?
> Volume of Data?

> I work for a 3500 person organization.  We want to build a customer
> service database that will accept data from 8 people (approx. 50 - 75
> entries per person per day) simultaneously & in theory could be accessed
> by any person in the organization (3,500 people in case you do not
> remember) on an intranet.

> My first thoughts are that Access is not enough.  SQL Server I say,
> Oracle, Fox Pro.... But not Access!  Client/Server... Not desktop!

> However, I have no cold hard facts to support my opinion. Microsoft's
> www site offers no support for me.

> Save me from this nightmare...enlighten me.I built a system for 50 concurrent users.  It works very well.

But, It takes some farly advanced programming.
I had two data structures, one on the server and one on the users local
drive.  Users add records locally, then post those records to the
server.

Looking back on the experience, I would say to stay with one of the bigh
four database engines.  See below.

It would be better to NOT say OH we will start with Access and then go
to SQL Server.  That would be a waste of time.  You might have to change
a lot of code.

Multi-user systems are never simple, so before giving any estimates, it
might be wise to run a few tests.

I would not recommend Foxpro for a multiuser application.

Oracle is great, a little expensive.
Informix is cheap, fast and easy to install.  Runs on NT.
The cost of the data engine while expensive is nothing compared to the
aggravation and cost of fixing problems from something that is
underpowered!  500 records per day X 200 days per year = 100,000 records
is not a small database.  I would not go cheap on the data engine.  If
you cannot afford one of the four top names (SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle
or Informix) you may not have enough resources to fund the project.

Serious mult user applications will require day to day human
administration.

Bottom line, what you want to do is some fairly heavy duty stuff.
Using under powered products will only make everyone on the project look
bad.  Will this be a web application?  Java?

Limitations of MS Access??

Post by George Johnsto » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I had an Access database die a horrible death when it hit the 65 meg mark.
Whether the limitation was 32k of 2k blocks or 64k of 1k blocks is a matter
of speculation...

> Please!

> What are the limitations of MS Access?  Number of Simultaneous Users?
> Volume of Data?

> I work for a 3500 person organization.  We want to build a customer
> service database that will accept data from 8 people (approx. 50 - 75
> entries per person per day) simultaneously & in theory could be accessed
> by any person in the organization (3,500 people in case you do not
> remember) on an intranet.

> My first thoughts are that Access is not enough.  SQL Server I say,
> Oracle, Fox Pro.... But not Access!  Client/Server... Not desktop!

> However, I have no cold hard facts to support my opinion. Microsoft's
> www site offers no support for me.

> Save me from this nightmare...enlighten me.

1. Any Limitations on MS Access and MS SQL Server

Hello,

I am now working on a project that have to make decision
on choosing Microsoft Access 97 / 2000 or Microsoft SQL
Server 7.0 as the database.  For more background
information, there is an application run on personal web
server and will connect to a database with using ODBC.

Therefore, I would like to know more about the pros and
cons of them in order to make a right or better choice.

Could anyone tell me about is there any limitation on
Microsoft 97 / 2000 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0?  Such as
the storage limitation, special characters handling.

Thanks and regards,

John

2. SQL server equivalent for decode

3. Any Limitations of MS Access as a Front End

4. Oracle With MTS

5. Limitations in MS-Access 2.0

6. PDOXWIN: Find the Records that do NOT match between to datafiles ???

7. Limitation for MS Access?

8. MS Access size limitations

9. MS-Access: Advantages and limitations?

10. ODBC & MS-Access Limitations

11. MS-Access: Advantages and limitations?