A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by Spik » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

We have a test installation of d3/Linux and are attempting to connect a
simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux box.  The only instructions
that I have before me are those provided by PICK.  We have added the
following line to /etc/inittab : "a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to connect the terminal
have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I wondered why it was tty2
rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work either).

Also, I was wondering what went wrong with my request for help with
Accuterm 97 and SB+ that I posted on the 7th.  Surely, someone is using
Accuterm with SB+ and wants the function of the delete key...

Thanks

--
Spike Parker
Eastex Crude Company

A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by Richard Ginsbur » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Spike,
    I am assuming you are connecting to the standard IBM COM ports. In the
/etc/inittab I have:

S0:3:respawn:/usr/bin/d3 -1 -t ttyS0 -y "speed 19200 -parenb cs8 -cstopb"
S1:3:respawn:/usr/bin/d3 -2 -t ttyS1 -y "speed 9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb"

Also, with regard to your earlier posting about T-RET. It does not work with
the first releases of D3 Linux or D3 ProPlus but there is an upgrade coming
shortly that will fix that problem and a host of other problems as well.
Stay tuned...
--
Richard Ginsburg can be reached at:

internet.: http://www.fawnridge.com
telephone: 561.488.4815
fax......: 561.488.3821
Only the finest software is called COMPASS.

Quote:> We have a test installation of d3/Linux and are attempting to connect a
> simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux box.  The only instructions
> that I have before me are those provided by PICK.  We have added the
> following line to /etc/inittab : "a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
> along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to connect the terminal
> have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I wondered why it was tty2
> rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work either).

> Also, I was wondering what went wrong with my request for help with
> Accuterm 97 and SB+ that I posted on the 7th.  Surely, someone is using
> Accuterm with SB+ and wants the function of the delete key...

> Thanks

> --
> Spike Parker
> Eastex Crude Company
> Newsome, Texas

A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by mike ryde » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

tty1 through to tty12 are all console screens (accessed by ALT+Fn) so
somebody is giving you a bum steer there.

Com1 is ttyS0
Com2 is ttyS1

and then you need to attach a process to that 'dev'

This is usually done in the inittab with a command like
S1:345:respawn:d3 -5 -t ttyS1 -y "speed 9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb"

The : mark is a field delimiter and syntax is important (otherwise you get a
segment error)
The fields are as follows
1 - this is a label used by 'init' and MUST be the same as the dev name
(otherwise init cannot handle the respawn correctly.
2 - this is the 'runlevel' that this command will be activated. Linux
normally starts in runlevel 3
3 - what to do ie
    respawn - keep the process up and running
    once - only do it once
    and lots more - read the man pages on init
4 - the D3 process where the parameter components are separated by -
      -5  = use PIB 5
     -t ttyS1 = use ttyS1
     -y "something" = set these 'stty' settings on creation. You need
different settings on D3-7.0 from D3-7.1 'cos the Xon/Off is messed up.

hth

Post by Glen Batchel » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

>We have a test installation of d3/Linux and are attempting to connect a
>simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux box.  The only instructions
>that I have before me are those provided by PICK.  We have added the
>following line to /etc/inittab : "a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
>along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to connect the terminal
>have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I wondered why it was tty2
>rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work either).

  The actual devices for IBM com ports 1, 2, 3, and 4 are:

COM1 = /dev/cua0
COM2 = /dev/cua1
COM3 = /dev/cua2
COM4 = /dev/cua3

  If there are no tty's configured for these devices, you can always
just use the cuaX device file. I did this for a modem with my DesqTop
package.
 To make a symbolic link, use the -l (dash lowercase L) parameter with
the cp command.

cd /dev

cp -l cua0 COM1

Makes a COM1 device linked to cua0.

     Regards,

         Glen aka Ryengoth

          http://pick-source.freeservers.com

Quote:

>Also, I was wondering what went wrong with my request for help with
>Accuterm 97 and SB+ that I posted on the 7th.  Surely, someone is using
>Accuterm with SB+ and wants the function of the delete key...

>Thanks

>--
>Spike Parker
>Eastex Crude Company
>Newsome, Texas

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by st.. » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> We have added the following line to /etc/inittab :
> "a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2", along with another for pib 2.
> Every effort to connect the terminal have failed.  Why?

tty2 is the second virtual (console) terminal.

/dev/ttyS2 is the _third_ serial port.

Which serial port is your terminal connected to?

Quote:> --

 ____

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

>>We have a test installation of d3/Linux and are attempting to connect a
>>simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux box.  The only instructions
>>that I have before me are those provided by PICK.  We have added the
>>following line to /etc/inittab : "a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
>>along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to connect the terminal
>>have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I wondered why it was tty2
>>rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work either).

>  The actual devices for IBM com ports 1, 2, 3, and 4 are:

>COM1 = /dev/cua0
>COM2 = /dev/cua1
>COM3 = /dev/cua2
>COM4 = /dev/cua3

WERE!

That'll break under kernel 2.2. Use the tty whatevers.
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.

A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by bill_ehlert4.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

**  you probably alread know this, BUT - -

        they will acknowledge  [ only elec-
        tronically. and with a "canned"
        acknowledgement, it is true -- but
        24 hrs per day ! ] within minutes.

    --  they will assign a call number with
        which you can tell 'em interesting
        stuff like "nope, that didn't work,
        what do i do next?"

    --  and, last but not least, they will
        send some pretty interesting/useful
        info.

Quote:> We have a test installation of d3/Linux and are

attempting to connect a
Quote:> simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux box.

The only instructions
Quote:> that I have before me are those provided by

PICK.  We have added the
Quote:> following line to /etc/inittab :

"a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
Quote:> along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to

connect the terminal
Quote:> have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I

wondered why it was tty2
Quote:> rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work
either).

> Also, I was wondering what went wrong with my

request for help with
Quote:> Accuterm 97 and SB+ that I posted on the 7th.

Surely, someone is using

Quote:> Accuterm with SB+ and wants the function of the
delete key...

> Thanks

> --
> Spike Parker
> Eastex Crude Company
> Newsome, Texas

A simple PICK terminal (d3/Linux)

Post by bill_ehlert4.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

In article

Quote:> Spike,
>     I am assuming you are connecting to the

standard IBM COM ports. In the
Quote:> /etc/inittab I have:

> S0:3:respawn:/usr/bin/d3 -1 -t ttyS0 -y "speed

19200 -parenb cs8 -cstopb"
Quote:> S1:3:respawn:/usr/bin/d3 -2 -t ttyS1 -y "speed

9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb"
Quote:

> Also, with regard to your earlier posting about

T-RET. It does not work with
Quote:> the first releases of D3 Linux or D3 ProPlus but

there is an upgrade coming

----------

    !!!!  does anybody know when this upgrade
          will be ready and what its release
          number will be ????

----------

Quote:> shortly that will fix that problem and a host of

other problems as well.
> Stay tuned...
> --
> Richard Ginsburg can be reached at:

> internet.: http://www.fawnridge.com
> telephone: 561.488.4815
> fax......: 561.488.3821
> Only the finest software is called COMPASS.

> > We have a test installation of d3/Linux and

are attempting to connect a
Quote:> > simple W60 serial terminal to our d3/Linux

box.  The only instructions
Quote:> > that I have before me are those provided by

PICK.  We have added the
Quote:> > following line to /etc/inittab :

"a1:3:respawn:d3 -n pick0 1 -t tty2",
Quote:> > along with another for pib 2.  Every effort to

connect the terminal
Quote:> > have failed.  Why?  (as food for thought, I

wondered why it was tty2
Quote:> > rather than ttyS2, but that doesn't work
either).

> > Also, I was wondering what went wrong with my

request for help with
Quote:> > Accuterm 97 and SB+ that I posted on the 7th.

Surely, someone is using

Quote:> > Accuterm with SB+ and wants the function of
the delete key...

> > Thanks

> > --
> > Spike Parker