SCALING SCREENS IN FOXPRO 6

Post by Marc Wrigh » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

HI,

BEING NEW TO FOXPRO (COMING FROM CLIPPER)
THE FIRST THING THAT I HAVE A GOT STUCK WITH IS HOW TO HANDLE THE DIFFERENT
SCREEN RESOLUTIONS IN WINDOWS.

WE HAVE DECIDED TO DEVELOP IN 640X480 BUT WHEN WE LOOK AT THE
SCREENS IN A HIGHER RESOULTION THEY ALL LOOK TERRIBLE.

IS THERE SOME KIND OF FUNCTION THAT WILL AUTOMATICALLY SCALE  SCREENS SO
THAT THEY ALL LOOK SIMILAR REGARDLESS OF THE SCREEN
RESOULTION.

ANY HELP WILL BE MOST WELCOME

SCALING SCREENS IN FOXPRO 6

Post by Shar Feldhei » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Marc
You can scale the Form development area. That is the size of the Forms from the
default (640x480 to what ever).

To make the app correspond to the resolution of the target machine, include
this statement in your main.prg

    _SCREEN.WINDOWSTATE = 2

Your app will fill the desktop regardless of the resolution. Of course, the
640x480 developed forms will be smaller as the resolution goes up.

You decide how to handle it.

hth

--
Shar Feldheim, President
PC Software,INC - Visual Foxpro Application Development

SCALING SCREENS IN FOXPRO 6

Post by Tim Witor » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

This exact support was developed by Don Bouchier and
presented in the January 1999 issue of FoxPro Advisor.

I actually implemented this in my classes and, with
a couple of fixes and mods, it works surprisingly well.

I develop at 800x600, but with this feature in place,
even 640x480 users can comfortably use the forms.  And
1280x1024 users can also enlarge the forms if they like.

Whatever you do, avoid the use of scrollbars on your
forms.  People have been asking for them for years and
they got them in VFP6, however it is almost always
poor interface design.  Pageframes and other options
are preferable.

-- TRW

> HI,

> BEING NEW TO FOXPRO (COMING FROM CLIPPER)
> THE FIRST THING THAT I HAVE A GOT STUCK WITH IS HOW TO HANDLE THE DIFFERENT
> SCREEN RESOLUTIONS IN WINDOWS.

> WE HAVE DECIDED TO DEVELOP IN 640X480 BUT WHEN WE LOOK AT THE
> SCREENS IN A HIGHER RESOULTION THEY ALL LOOK TERRIBLE.

> IS THERE SOME KIND OF FUNCTION THAT WILL AUTOMATICALLY SCALE  SCREENS SO
> THAT THEY ALL LOOK SIMILAR REGARDLESS OF THE SCREEN
> RESOULTION.

> ANY HELP WILL BE MOST WELCOME

--

Remove the "drop this" strings from my