Access 7.0 and SQL Server 6.5 - a new kid needs help

Post by kim irela » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
 I currently have a web based application built using Access 7.0 and ASP's
 The higher-ups want to move it to SQL Server 6.5
I'm fairly new to working with databases, and am a bit lost...(this might be
an understatement - depending on the humor you find in my next question)

What is SQL Server 6.5 - I've read the information on Microsoft's site and
still have questions. So I thought I'd come to the experts..

I am familiar with Access, and SQL Sybase Anywhere, after that I'm dead in the
water.

#1 How does SQL Server compare to Access - I am not asking about performance -
I have no doubt that SQL Server is much more powerful. In general terms am I
going to use SQL Server the same way as I use Access?

#2 When I upgrade to SQL Server  - Is Access now out of the picture? The data
from Access will now be in what format? What is the file extension on an SQL
Server Database?

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction for more information?
Much thanks in advance...

Access 7.0 and SQL Server 6.5 - a new kid needs help

Post by StarMan Grou » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

StarMan Group   INTERNET * MULTIMEDIA * BUSINESS
DALIS-SQL Toolkit Natural Language SQL Generator
http://www.starman.com/starman/dalis
George K. Staropoli

Kim,

I'm not really an expert here, but checking out SQL Server I found that it
is 'heavy duty' DBMS and that you can convert MS Access mdbs to its
structure. Got my info from text on SQL Server at my friendly library
(bookstore).

BTW, if interested in palin english queries, check us out.

1. Access 7.0 to SQL Server 6.5 - a new kid needs your help

#1 How does SQL Server compare to Access - I am not asking about performance -

#2 When I upgrade to SQL Server  - Is Access now out of the picture? The data
from Access will now be in what format? What is the file extension on an SQL
Server Database?

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction for more information?
Much thanks in advance...

2. MSDE installation

3. Migration from MS Access 7.0 to MS SQL Server 6.5 - NEED HELP

4. Neat SQL Server 6.5 Stats

5. Need help on SQL Server 7.0 or 6.5

6. Exporting records as a web page!

7. New Transact-SQL Debugger for Microsoft SQL Server 6.5/7.0

8. What does ERROR 1203 mean

9. MS Access - SQL Server 6.5 Help needed!

10. Need help Access 97 vs SQL Server 6.5?

11. *** Need Help With Migration from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0***