ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Keith Walto » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have been running ASP scripts to add records to a MS Access  database for
about a year now.  I just updated the server to SP4 and all of a sudden I
get this error when trying to write a record using the AddNew method and
Update.  Any ideas why this is occuring now?

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

Keith Walton

ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Keith Walto » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The error seems to be another problem with what you install and in what
order when you setup your server.  If I install NT server 4.0, SP3, IE 4.01
SP1, SP4, and Option Pack 4 Upgrade Existing Components Only in that order,
all of my ASP/Access applications work fine.

ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Egbert Niero » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

has nothing to do with drivers and service packs

I think the .MDB has not sufficient rights to be locked by ODBC or some
driver
Remember that a webserver uses (standard) the SYSTEM or the anonymous
security context to access files on your NTFS drives.
So go to Windows NT check the rights for the .MDB and it's parent path. Be
sure to include IUSR_xxx (if you use IIS4) to have full rights at the
.MDB...

> I have been running ASP scripts to add records to a MS Access  database
for
> about a year now.  I just updated the server to SP4 and all of a sudden I
> get this error when trying to write a record using the AddNew method and
> Update.  Any ideas why this is occuring now?

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

> Keith Walton

ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Dimitris Assimakopoulo » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I think that after applyinh SP4 you MUST apply MDAC 2.0 SP2 or MDAC 2.1

Dimitris

>I have been running ASP scripts to add records to a MS Access  database for
>about a year now.  I just updated the server to SP4 and all of a sudden I
>get this error when trying to write a record using the AddNew method and
>Update.  Any ideas why this is occuring now?

>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

>Keith Walton

ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Egbert Niero » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

has nothing to do with drivers and service packs

I think the .MDB has not sufficient rights to be locked by ODBC or some
driver
Remember that a webserver uses (standard) the SYSTEM or the anonymous
security context to access files on your NTFS drives.
So go to Windows NT check the rights for the .MDB and it's parent path. Be
sure to include IUSR_xxx (if you use IIS4) to have full rights at the
.MDB...

> I have been running ASP scripts to add records to a MS Access  database
for
> about a year now.  I just updated the server to SP4 and all of a sudden I
> get this error when trying to write a record using the AddNew method and
> Update.  Any ideas why this is occuring now?

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

> Keith Walton

ASP/ODBC Couldn't Lock File

Post by Dimitris Assimakopoulo » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

I think that after applyinh SP4 you MUST apply MDAC 2.0 SP2 or MDAC 2.1

Dimitris

>I have been running ASP scripts to add records to a MS Access  database for
>about a year now.  I just updated the server to SP4 and all of a sudden I
>get this error when trying to write a record using the AddNew method and
>Update.  Any ideas why this is occuring now?

>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

>Keith Walton

1. **more info** Couldn't lock file

Hi everybody,

I thought I could add some more info to my yesterday post:

*
I'm developing a web application which interact with an Access
Database.
I use IDC/HTX via ODBC and got this error message which pissed me right
off as I can't get the idea what it is about:

[State=S1000][Error=-1031][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver]
Couldn't lock file.
*

INFO:
1) server is an NT server
2) permissions to directory and file are: Read and Write
3) I use a SELECT in the first query and an INSERT in the second
=> I can INSERT but can't SELECT
=> if I set permission Read (only) then I can SELECT but cannot INSERT
4) db default lock is set to "optimistic"
=> I tried to change it to "Pessimistic" and "always locked", but didn't work

QUESTIONS:
1) Are there any other parameters to check on the server ?
2) Is there any way I can lock the file within the IDC/SQL statement ?
3) Which "file" BTW ? Does "it" considers Access as a file and not as a db ?
4) Do I need to install iis ?
5) What the hell is missing... IDC is supposed to be VERY easy !

Any ideas?
Cheers
Jacqueline

2. Use of Temp Table and Two DB problem

3. Couldn't lock file

4. DBase files with NTX index

5. 3050 error - Couldn't Lock File

6. Read an Identity column after AddNew...

7. ADO Couldn't lock file w/adOpenFowardOnly

8. DC-WASHINGTON-105515--ORACLE-Windows 95-SQL-Testing Applications-Quality Assurance Tester

9. "Couldn't Lock File" error

10. 3050 Couldn't lock file.

11. Access DB on Web -- ERROR: Couldn't Lock file

12. Error 3050 - Couldn't Lock File