be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

Post by billemer » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:27:52

the article, 20 in technotes on picksys's web site ,about
resizing the vme works except for 1 small detail, the
article doesnt tell you to save the mds entrys for all your
fsi accounts first.

what is left out is to
1 create-file save.mds 1 1
in some fsi account
2 get-list vme-1 (list of all fsi accounts)
3 copy mds
(save.mds

after the steps in article 20 are all completed,
copy save.mds * (o
(mds

completes the job

be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

Post by Homer L. Haze » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 08:28:22

Greetings,

That's strange.  I just did that technique today.

I did not save anything from the MDS this time, nor any time in the past
that I have done the same thing.

All of the QS pointers were miraculously recreated when I rebooted the
system and started up D3.

Now - I don't have any passwords or anything special in the MDS entries, so
I see no reason to save them.

Somebody else might need to save them.

Larry Hazel

Quote:> the article, 20 in technotes on picksys's web site ,about
> resizing the vme works except for 1 small detail, the
> article doesnt tell you to save the mds entrys for all your
> fsi accounts first.

> what is left out is to
> 1 create-file save.mds 1 1
> in some fsi account
> 2 get-list vme-1 (list of all fsi accounts)
> 3 copy mds
> (save.mds

> after the steps in article 20 are all completed,
> copy save.mds * (o
> (mds

> completes the job

be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

Post by Simon Peter » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 08:49:41

If your mds items are generic, then there should be no need for the steps
you mention.
Part of the system coldstart is to do qs.upd.  This builds your qs items in
the mds file and through doing this, all of your fsi accounts will be
available.   You can test this by removing the mds item for one of your fsi
accounts.  Then, at TCL, type in qs.upd.  This will set up your mds item you
just removed.
Note - qs.upd will build new mds items for fsi accounts.  It also will
remove mds items if the fsi account no longer exists.
--
Simon Peters

Quote:> the article, 20 in technotes on picksys's web site ,about
> resizing the vme works except for 1 small detail, the
> article doesnt tell you to save the mds entrys for all your
> fsi accounts first.

> what is left out is to
> 1 create-file save.mds 1 1
> in some fsi account
> 2 get-list vme-1 (list of all fsi accounts)
> 3 copy mds
> (save.mds

> after the steps in article 20 are all completed,
> copy save.mds * (o
> (mds

> completes the job

be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

Post by Hans Fehlo » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:43:53

I agree with Larry. I had someone try and tell me that needed to be done too
the first time I tried it, but the operation did it, as I like to say
"automagicly".

Hans Fehlow

Quote:> the article, 20 in technotes on picksys's web site ,about
> resizing the vme works except for 1 small detail, the
> article doesnt tell you to save the mds entrys for all your
> fsi accounts first.

> what is left out is to
> 1 create-file save.mds 1 1
> in some fsi account
> 2 get-list vme-1 (list of all fsi accounts)
> 3 copy mds
> (save.mds

> after the steps in article 20 are all completed,
> copy save.mds * (o
> (mds

> completes the job

be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

Post by billemer » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:10:16

if the mds items are generic, there's no need to save them
first. example:
ACCOUNT 001
001 QS
002 FSI:001A
this MDS entry is not automatically rebuilt because the
fsi account name is different from the MDS item name

> I agree with Larry. I had someone try and tell me that needed to be done
too
> the first time I tried it, but the operation did it, as I like to say
> "automagicly".

> Hans Fehlow

> > the article, 20 in technotes on picksys's web site ,about
> > resizing the vme works except for 1 small detail, the
> > article doesnt tell you to save the mds entrys for all your
> > fsi accounts first.

> > what is left out is to
> > 1 create-file save.mds 1 1
> > in some fsi account
> > 2 get-list vme-1 (list of all fsi accounts)
> > 3 copy mds
> > (save.mds

> > after the steps in article 20 are all completed,
> > copy save.mds * (o
> > (mds

> > completes the job

1. D3/NT VME space problems

ok! we had been using D3/NT 7.3.0 (SP1, SP2) for about a month.
we saw 2 big problems, 1) indexes 2) d3tcl.exe, now we got the third
one about VME spaces. (I had read some threads discussing this issues,
but mostly posted in the year 2000 about 7.0 version.)

here are something happened to our 100 user system:
1) we don't have any accounts defined in the VME.
2) VME space got eaten, and regains space too.
3) the decreasing rate of the space is way faster than the increasing.
4) reclaim-ovf command keeps giving me error 3 message.
5) after the VME space hits 0, the system complains and we have to
shutdown and apply the backup of the VME, which costs some
data/spooler lost.

here are the questions:
1) does reclaim-ovf work? can it solve this problem, or it's doing
something else? how to logon as line 0? how to get around the error 3?
what does u53 and u54 do in the dm,bp, reclaim-ovf and dm,bp,
start-reclaim-ovf? where are the documents for these user exits
subroutines?
2) besides the best-guessing reclaim-ovf and shutdown the system
frequently, what else can we do?
3) we already increased the VME space to 2GB, which is larger than
what we heard of the limit earlier (1.5GB). Is there any negative
effect to make it so big? what is the new limit now?
4) Are there any utility in D3 to monitor the VME space usage?
("where" is not enough i think...)
5) what other problems in D3?

thankx for all your comments, and we really want to know how many
companies are using D3/NT 7.3 and share the experience.

2. A tech help - Thanx in advance

3. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

4. How can I make a copy of a database

5. D3/NT VME startup problem

6. Deadlock with concurrent transactions

7. D3/NT vme restores

8. initializing objects and using the object to insert.

9. Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

10. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

11. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?

12. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

13. can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation