UML - any interesting sites about it or any newsgroups?

UML - any interesting sites about it or any newsgroups?

Post by EFI ALKABE » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am getting deeper into UML methodology and I will appreciate it very
much if any can tell me about any internet sites and newsgroups in the
subject.

TIA

Effy Alkabes

UML - any interesting sites about it or any newsgroups?

Post by Ralf Comtes » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I am getting deeper into UML methodology and I will appreciate it very
> much if any can tell me about any internet sites and newsgroups in the
> subject.

> TIA

> Effy Alkabes

Have a look at the Rational site for the otug mailing list. You find it
on www.rational.com when you follow the UML Resources. For WWW pointers
look at the UML pages at
<www.cetus-links.org>

Regards
Ralf

Gipsstrasse 15                       Tel: +49-30-28599230
10119 Berlin                         Fax: +49-30-28599231
Member of the Cetus Team. For OO links visit: http://www.cetus-links.org

1. J-UML - OOD (UML) extension for Java

J-UML - OOD (UML) extension for Java

UML (Unified Modeling Language) is the leading OOD/OOA environment,
being nowadays also an ISO standard. Unfortunately Unified Modeling
Language has not been commonly used by many programmers yet.

"J-UML" is not by any means trying to diminish the important value of
language independent modeling. But on the contrary: it tries to build a
bridge - 'adapter' - between these two distant worlds. It tries to
define how to graphically transfer, 'map', the (language independent)
UML models into actual Java implementations.

    http://www.vtt.fi/tte/papers/j-uml/

The specification is open for everyone - to develop and to use.

In most parts "J-UML" - an 'extension' of UML - can be understood as a
subset of UML. However J-UML is totally Java oriented - supporting only
and fully the graphical OOD/OOA of the actual Java source code. J-UML is
a graphical modeling environment for your Java implementations. You can
use J-UML for designing, planning, defining, modelling or just sketching
your Java application structures. On the other hand you can use it for
showing, describing, teaching or learning the structures of Java.

Note also that one very nice consequence of this all is that "JG" -
being a similar 'adapter' for the PDT modeling frameworks (i.e. EXPRESS
based modeling world) - is fully portable with J-UML. This means that
Java (when it should be used of course) could be at last one natural
'meeting point' of these two totally different standard [by ISO]
modeling worlds: UML and EXPRESS(-G). For all the PDM/PDT [Product Data
Technology] Java development projects this would be a major advantage.

But even if "J-UML" could only encourage a tiny little bit the actual
programmers into modelling - and better application design - it would
have already met its' needs.

YOUR COMMENTS, IDEAS, IMPROVEMENTS, CRITISICM ETC OF THIS NEW (OPEN)
SPECIFICATION ARE ESSENTIAL AND WELCOME!

And of course Happy  and Most Creative New Year 1999 for All!!!!

Kari Kaitanen
VTT Information Technology
Multimedia (Java solutions)

2. print a report of access

3. ER vs UML, disadvantage of UML

4. OAS help : OWS-05100

5. Symix Users Newsgroup: Anyone Interested?

6. Help me: Vb vs Excel

7. Interesting web sites - web-related products

8. Query slow over liked server

9. Interesting web sites

10. interesting site