Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)

Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)

Post by Rolando C. Pallare » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone.

I have a C project that links into a 16-bit DLL. This DLL connects to a SQL
Server using ODBC (I have included in the project ODBC.LIB, SQL.H,
SQLEXT.H), perform certain data  retreival and storage. This DLL is called
from an EXE file compiled in VB3.

I need to migrate this DLL (the C code) to 32-bit for a VB5 project. The
data isnt in SQL Server anymore, it resides in a MS Access database.

I have the following questions:

1) Do the same (I mean the corresponding 32-bit version)
ODBC.LIB/SQL.H/SQLEXT.H files work for Access?. The SQL.H file reads "ODBC
Core Functions, so I might think these files remain the same for Access (By
theory, ODBC doesnt care the data source, right?). Contrary, There exist
ODBC.LIB/ACCESS.H (to say something) with "ODBC Core Functions" for Access?
Where can I find them and examples of usage.

2) Which are the issues to be aware of migrating the C code for a 32-bit
compiler? Any document on-line about it? How difficult is it? The old code
is written for Borland C (oopps!). Do I stick to Borland or leave for Visual
C++? Or its the same effort migrating the code for both compilers.

Id appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.

[...]

1. Migrating from 16-bit btrieve dll to 32-bit

I support an application for a client and it uses version 5.10 of
wbtrcall.dll dated 8/28/90.  The app was written in Visual C++ 1.52
and is a 16-bit app.  The client recently installed the app on Win2000
and said file updates now take 3 times as long.  I suspect it might be
related to using wbtrcall on Win2000, but not sure.  I'm thinking that
migrating to a 32-bit version of btrieve might solve the problem.  My
questions are:

1. Where do I find a 32-bit btrieve dll (with the .lib file to link
to)?
2. Are the calls to the interface the same as the 16-bit dll or will I
need to do a bunch of recoding?
3. Will the .db files previously created be compatible with the 32-bit
dll?

I am definitely not a btrieve guru and only support this app because I
had some C++ knowledge and the app was orginally written by someone
else.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. Function/Stored Proc

3. 16-bit SQL*Plus/16-bit ORA7WIN.DLL/windows 3.1/TOOLHELP.DLL/BOOOOM

4. EditMask & InputValidation help wanted

5. Calling 16 bit Dll from 32 bit program

6. Is WE8ISO8859P1 8-bit?

7. thunking (calling 16 bit dll's from 32 bit app)

8. Reviewed: max. no of relations in a database

9. 16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

10. 16 bit ODBC access under a 32 bit OS

11. 16-bit/32-bit ODBC drivers - NT Environment

12. ODBC 16 bit & 32 Bit