Laser printer problem

Post by Thoma » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
suggestion to fix this problem.

--
Thomas

Laser printer problem

Post by Glen Batchelo » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Isn't the 6L a parallel only model? I haven't heard of a serial option
for this model, but I could be wrong. If it's parallel, you need to
use Pxxx instead of Sxxx.

    Glen aka Ryengoth

http://members.xoom.com/Ryengoth/pick/

> We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
> Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
> printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
> CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
> and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
> setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
> Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
> suggestion to fix this problem.

> --
> Thomas

Laser printer problem

Post by Glen Batchelo » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Oh.. and to answer your second question; no you don't have to do
anything special for lasers. Just make sure they are all turned on
when you cold boot the server. You might want to play around with the
page feed parameter to see which configuration works best for your
applications. I usually use startptr 1,1,0,Sport but I also have a
printer/spool control prog that auto-form feeds the jobs. Just a few
ideas.

    Glen aka Ryengoth

http://members.xoom.com/Ryengoth/pick/

> We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
> Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
> printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
> CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
> and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
> setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
> Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
> suggestion to fix this problem.

> --
> Thomas

Laser printer problem

Post by Roge » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes it is parallel only , and I think it may require a 'windows' front end
to drive it.  Check the printer documentation and see if it supports DOS.
If not, it probably can't work as a system printer.

rg

>Isn't the 6L a parallel only model? I haven't heard of a serial option
>for this model, but I could be wrong. If it's parallel, you need to
>use Pxxx instead of Sxxx.

>    Glen aka Ryengoth

>http://members.xoom.com/Ryengoth/pick/

>> We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
>> Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
>> printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
>> CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
>> and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
>> setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
>> Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
>> suggestion to fix this problem.

>> --
>> Thomas

Laser printer problem

Post by thoma » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Glen and Roger, thank you.  It is my fault that I forget
laserjet is a parallel printer.  At my office, we use only serial
printers.  So when I setup this laserjet printer, I use Sxxx as I
always do.  It should be Pxxx.  Thank again.

--
thomas

Laser printer problem

Post by Jim Scofiel » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just as an fyi....   I have an RS6000, and use terminal/print servers.  I
have some laser printers hooked to them with a serial/parallel converter,
and they work just fine.

I know you are looking at a different platform, but the point is that you
can run these via a serial connection.

Jim Scofield

:Yes it is parallel only , and I think it may require a 'windows' front end
:to drive it.  Check the printer documentation and see if it supports DOS.
:If not, it probably can't work as a system printer.
:
:rg
:
:>Isn't the 6L a parallel only model? I haven't heard of a serial option
:>for this model, but I could be wrong. If it's parallel, you need to
:>use Pxxx instead of Sxxx.
:>
:>    Glen aka Ryengoth
:>
:>http://members.xoom.com/Ryengoth/pick/
:>
:>>
:>> We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
:>> Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
:>> printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
:>> CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
:>> and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
:>> setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
:>> Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
:>> suggestion to fix this problem.
:>>
:>> --
:>> Thomas
:
:

Laser printer problem

Post by Tom Packer » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You may have a problem with the IEEE 1284 features (enhanced parallel).  I
am not sure about the 6L exactly.  But if it is setup for BI-DIRECTIONAL
operation, then the printer is sending data back to the computer.  If you
are using a 1284 parallel cable between the Marquis and the printer then you
might want to exchange that for the older 'dumb' parallel cable.

If you want to connect it serially, I have had good success with the
Extended Systems serial to parallel converters.  www.extendedsystems.com and
I have ordered these from Data Comm Warehouse.  I suggest getting the
external power supply too because some printers to not supply enough voltage
on the parallel cable to power the converter.

>Yes it is parallel only , and I think it may require a 'windows' front end
>to drive it.  Check the printer documentation and see if it supports DOS.
>If not, it probably can't work as a system printer.

>rg

>>Isn't the 6L a parallel only model? I haven't heard of a serial option
>>for this model, but I could be wrong. If it's parallel, you need to
>>use Pxxx instead of Sxxx.

>>    Glen aka Ryengoth

>>http://members.xoom.com/Ryengoth/pick/

>>> We have a Monolith Marqui Powerserver 5000 running in Native
>>> Pick.  I use startptr xxx,xxx,xxx,Sxxx to setup a HP laserjet 6L
>>> printer but it doesn't work.  Then I connect this port to a
>>> CI300+ printer, it works here.  Therefore, I think the cable
>>> and/or port is working.  Do I need to do anything special to
>>> setup a laser printer?  Do anyone have laser printer problem with
>>> Monolith machine or Native Pick before?  Thank you for your
>>> suggestion to fix this problem.

>>> --
>>> Thomas

1. v2.0 Printer to HP 5/6 Laser Printers

I'm having difficulty getting consistient prints of reports using FoxPro
v2.0 (DOS) and printing to an HP LaserJet 5P.  The printed reports don't
page break properly, and on a 1 page report, the very last line gets
partially truncated and printed on the next page - well before the end
of page.

prior to printing. These programs work with Dbase III+, but I'm trying
to convert to something newer.

Appreciate any help.

2. KAIO on HP 11

3. Printer Driver for IBM 4019 Laser Printer

4. Report field positioned wrong?

5. Printing PROBLEM on a Laser Printer

6. O-O data repositories

7. Printing same report to matrix and/or laser printer

8. Informix OnLine help needed

9. Controlling laser printer using 4GL

10. PdoxDOS & Kyocera laser printers

11. PDOX DOS 4.5, small labels on laser printer

12. Printing on matrix and laser printer

13. Printing to Laser Printer from ISQL