Trashing the Log file on Windows NT

Post by Paul Andre » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 19:15:59

I am using INGRES 6.4/05 on Windows NT 3.5. I have noticed that failing to shut
down the INGRES server correctly (or at all!) before power-down
invariably trashes the log file so that it has to be re-built.

This isn't the same behaviour as on UNIX boxes where INGRES (in my experience
anyway) is very resilient to being cut off unexpectedly.

Before anyone tells me - I do know about running INGRES as a service etc.
recently I have been reconfiguring my NT box because of a new hard disk so
this behaviour has come to light. It's not my configuring the box that is
the trouble. Start INGRES (not as a service) and shutdown your NT system.
The next stage will involve having to create a new log file!

Any ideas/comments?

One day an NT system might lose it's power. I reckon it also means goodbye
log (and all that means) as well.

Paul Andrews.

:
: This isn't the same behaviour as on UNIX boxes where INGRES (in my experience
: anyway) is very resilient to being cut off unexpectedly.
:
: Before anyone tells me - I do know about running INGRES as a service etc.
: recently I have been reconfiguring my NT box because of a new hard disk so
: this behaviour has come to light. It's not my configuring the box that is
: the trouble. Start INGRES (not as a service) and shutdown your NT system.
: The next stage will involve having to create a new log file!
:
: Any ideas/comments?
:
: One day an NT system might lose it's power. I reckon it also means goodbye
: log (and all that means) as well.

I have no good advice for you, but I can maybe narrow the search
down a bit.  I have been running your combination since early last
summer, and for three months I had a dud motherboard that meant the
system crashed several times a week.  Only once did I have to rebuild
the log file.  What DID happen every time was that the database came up
marked inconsistent even though dmfrcp ran to completion without
complaint.  A rollforwarddb fixed up the database every time.

Anyhow, this sounds like a problem for tech support. And be sure to
_ask_ to have the call escalated if you don't get prompt satisfaction;
don't just wait for it to happen.

--Roy Hann

Post by laura.ja.. » Fri, 10 Mar 1995 23:43:33

: I am using INGRES 6.4/05 on Windows NT 3.5. I have noticed that failing to shut
: down the INGRES server correctly (or at all!) before power-down
: invariably trashes the log file so that it has to be re-built.
:
: This isn't the same behaviour as on UNIX boxes where INGRES (in my experience
: anyway) is very resilient to being cut off unexpectedly.
:
: Before anyone tells me - I do know about running INGRES as a service etc.
: recently I have been reconfiguring my NT box because of a new hard disk so
: this behaviour has come to light. It's not my configuring the box that is
: the trouble. Start INGRES (not as a service) and shutdown your NT system.
: The next stage will involve having to create a new log file!

I'm also using INGRES 6.4/05 on Windows NT 3.5.  I've had the same
problem with the log file that you describe above.  Furthermore, Ingres
doesn't appear to shutdown properly when I shutdown the NT server,
even though I've set it up as an automatic service using
'crserver install'.  The 'servproc' process is running - I've
checked.

But when I come back up my log file has been corrupted, and there is no
message in the Ingres error log indicating that Ingres was ever shutdown
properly.

I can start and stop the service manually just fine, which is what I've
been doing before shutting down NT.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior??  Is this a feature of Ingres and/or
Windows NT?

Laura

| Cleveland Advanced Manufacturing Program                |
| 4600 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44103               |

Trashing the Log file on Windows NT

Post by James Bullo » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 06:20:37

Sounds like there's some write caching going on at a file system level, and
NT loses the unwritten data that Ingres thinks is out there.

Is there an NT equivalent to "osynch"?

--
James Bullock - Rare Bird Enterprises
620 Park Avenue # 171

"Onward, into the fog . . ."

1. Trashed Log File

On one of our SQL Server 7 databases, the log file has been lost
(trashed).  But the data MDF file is ok.

Is there anyway to create an empty log file for the database?

Thanks,

Jon Robertson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ODBC using dBase Index Problem

3. 24007-NJ-Warren-PC-Windows 95-Windows NT-SYBASE-Windows NT-ORACLE-Crystal Info-Programmer

4. Seagate Info P2SORA7.DLL running on W2K

5. File Maker Pro on Windows NT: File wont open as host

6. Ingres error under 6.4/03 running SUNOS 4.1.3

7. SQL SERVER SP TRASHES NT SERVER

8. problem in running SQL SERVER v7.0 on windows 98

9. SQL Server 7 and Windows NT Terminal Server and Windows NT 5.0 beta