Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Post by mikhai » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to upgrade a system from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux.  But
when I try to move the data over via a tape I fry DM.

On all three systems I'm using WangDAT 3400DX 4mm DAT Tape drives with 120m
DDS-2 tapes.
The block size of the tape in Linux is set to '0'.  When I try to do an
ACCOUNT-RESTORE or RESTORE-ACCOUNTS I get an 'Not Enough Disk Space' error
even though POVF shows over 4GB free on the D3 Partition.

After that if I try to logon to DM I can't get on, and I end up reinstalling
D3 from scratch.

Any Info on the subject is greatly appreciated

Michael Lerner
DataTrust, Inc.

Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Post by dalelb.. » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure that this is going to be a true statement, so take it with
a grain of salt.  And maybe someone can correct the information if I am
wrong.  But..

Try setting the block size on the both the AP/Pro system and the one
you are transfering the information to to 512.  I seem to recall that
we had a similar problem and this corrected it.  But it has been a
year, so the memory has faded.

Best of luck

Dale

> I am trying to upgrade a system from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or
D3/Linux. But
> when I try to move the data over via a tape I fry DM.

> On all three systems I'm using WangDAT 3400DX 4mm DAT Tape drives
with 120m
> DDS-2 tapes.
> The block size of the tape in Linux is set to '0'. When I try to do an
> ACCOUNT-RESTORE or RESTORE-ACCOUNTS I get an 'Not Enough Disk Space'
error
> even though POVF shows over 4GB free on the D3 Partition.

> After that if I try to logon to DM I can't get on, and I end up
reinstalling
> D3 from scratch.

> Any Info on the subject is greatly appreciated

> Michael Lerner
> DataTrust, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Post by Mari » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Michael:
Mike Wooding wrote in about the same problem on March 11th so you can check
that thread but in summary, the solution was suggested to me by Glen
Ryengoth and is described in www.pick-source.freeservers.com.  I went
through the same trials and tribulations including contacting PICK and
everyone else I knew but the solution was to choose the 1/4" tape option in
place of the dat tape option (even though a dat tape in being used). I got
the same "Not enough disk space" error and so did Mike Wooding but Glen's
solution worked for both of us.  Let us know how you make out.
Regards,
Bob Marik

>I am trying to upgrade a system from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux.  But
>when I try to move the data over via a tape I fry DM.

>On all three systems I'm using WangDAT 3400DX 4mm DAT Tape drives with 120m
>DDS-2 tapes.
>The block size of the tape in Linux is set to '0'.  When I try to do an
>ACCOUNT-RESTORE or RESTORE-ACCOUNTS I get an 'Not Enough Disk Space' error
>even though POVF shows over 4GB free on the D3 Partition.

>After that if I try to logon to DM I can't get on, and I end up
reinstalling
>D3 from scratch.

>Any Info on the subject is greatly appreciated

>Michael Lerner
>DataTrust, Inc.

Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Post by Mike Woodin » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Slight correction if I may.

I didn't get the "Not enough disk space" error.  My restore just ended
halfway through the first account on the tape with an "End of Data" message.

Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but a couple of
things spring to mind at this stage.

Firstly, make sure that when you install D3, you are loading the D3 ABS and
then the D3 data files from the D3 distribution media not using a ":FILES"
from your AP tape.  To get your AP stuff back, after you've done the initial
file-load, use "restore-accounts" followed by an "update-md" on each account
you have restored from AP.

Also, you say you are restoring DM from AP/Pro onto D3/Linux, but you don't
say where to.

If you need things out of your old AP DM, I do an "account-restore appro.dm"
(account name on tape: dm) and then manually copy things across.  Replacing
D3's DM with an AP DM sure will make an awful mess of things.

Not sure how relevant any of that is, but there's my whole two cents for
what its worth.

Mike Wooding

> Michael:
> Mike Wooding wrote in about the same problem on March 11th so you can
check
> that thread but in summary, the solution was suggested to me by Glen
> Ryengoth and is described in www.pick-source.freeservers.com.  I went
> through the same trials and tribulations including contacting PICK and
> everyone else I knew but the solution was to choose the 1/4" tape option
in
> place of the dat tape option (even though a dat tape in being used). I got
> the same "Not enough disk space" error and so did Mike Wooding but Glen's
> solution worked for both of us.  Let us know how you make out.
> Regards,
> Bob Marik

> >I am trying to upgrade a system from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux.
But
> >when I try to move the data over via a tape I fry DM.

> >On all three systems I'm using WangDAT 3400DX 4mm DAT Tape drives with
120m
> >DDS-2 tapes.
> >The block size of the tape in Linux is set to '0'.  When I try to do an
> >ACCOUNT-RESTORE or RESTORE-ACCOUNTS I get an 'Not Enough Disk Space'
error
> >even though POVF shows over 4GB free on the D3 Partition.

> >After that if I try to logon to DM I can't get on, and I end up
> reinstalling
> >D3 from scratch.

> >Any Info on the subject is greatly appreciated

> >Michael Lerner
> >DataTrust, Inc.

Moving from AP/Pro to D3/ProPlus or D3/Linux

Post by Richard Ginsbur » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Michael,
    There are some significant differences in D3ProPlus and D3Linux. If you
are installing D3ProPlus you do not load the ABS or Files, D3ProPlus does
that for you automatically. It also sets up the partition table so you don't
have to do anything to the hard disk.
    D3Linux, on the other hand, requires an install of Linux first. If you
are installing D3Linux 7.1 then you should be installing RedHat 5.2. If you
are installing D3Linux 7.2 then you should be installing RedHat 6.1. Because
you are installing Linux first you must set up the partitions correctly. No
D3 partition should or can be larger than 2gb. I tried making a 4gb
partition on a D3Linux install and got the same message.
    With D3ProPlus, you get a ProPlus account that lets you setup your tape
drives, network card, and printers. If you are installing D3ProPlus, take a
look at that account before you try to restore your accounts. There are also
some issues with 4mm and 8mm DAT drives that have been addressed in the CDP
recently. Why Pick Systems hasn't fixed that problem is still a mystery. But
look at the archives and you will find secrets of DAT drives revealed to the
world.
    By the way, if you are installing D3Linux, have a look at the tech
support pages of our website (address below), we've got a constantly updated
HOWTO guide to make your life much easier.
--
Richard Ginsburg can be reached at:

Web...: http://www.fawnridge.com
Phone.: 561.488.4815
Fax...: 561.488.3821
Only the finest software is called COMPASS...